Lighter .45acp load than 230gr?

michael t

I have went to the 185DPX +P for carry in all my 1911 Compacts to full size . 15+" in jell is more than enough penteration and plenty of expansion

dawgfvr

All depends on the size of barrel and platform.

If you own a compact frame w/short barrel .45 ACP you would be better served in a smaller grain bullet. Me...I like the 160 grain Corbon DPX all copper. It is lighter and has enough speed to expand reliably without trading off penetration.

torpeau

In many pistols with fixed sights, the lighter bullets will strike lower to the sights compared to the 230-grain loads.

I wonder why that would be. A lighter bullet, going at higher speed will get to the target sooner and that means less time for the bullet to drop. Maybe related to recoil and the shooter?

ElrodCod

Federal used to have a 165 gr HydraShok round that had a mild recoil but the muzzle flash was excessive. Don't know if the still have it.

WESHOOT2

lotsa stuff, but never forget TANSTAAFL

Heavy bullets impact higher becauase, they, going slower, allow the barrel to rise higher in recoil before exiting.

Big bullets = "sectional density" (SD, which differs from SD, the chrono number); "ballistic coefficient" (BE); "momentum" (mo, or sometimes Big Mo).

These terms describe the advantages.

Significant load development using different short Kimbers suggests to me, no, better stated as "shows me", that a 230g bullet, when correctly loaded, is the optimal choice for shorter barrel 45 ACP-chambered choices.

If one gives up something for something, one still gives up something, ay?

Last edited:

Eric M.

Great advice by everyone.
BUT---until you start to reload, you are only seeing a fraction of the capabilities of the .45 ACP.
I reload many types of bullets from 185gr up to the 230gr hardball.
Reloading is a hobby in itself, and pays off at the range.

You might want to think about it.

Eric