Levergun in .357 or 45 LC

COSteve

I have 2 Rossi 357mags, a 24" rifle and 20" carbine and 2 Uberti 45 Colts, a 24" '73 Special Sporting rifle and a 19" '66 Yellowboy carbine as well as other leverguns in rifle calibers.

100_7695.jpg

Note: These are old pictures of my Rossis before I did some tweaking to them including adding a coat of WATCO Danish Oil to the stock. See my post below for closer pics of them.

IMG_2244a_zpsd444fc8f.jpg

IMG_20140124_164944_297.jpg

1st, caliber - As a general plinker, light hunter, and all around fun gun, I strongly suggest the 357mag over a 45 Colt. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful.

2nd, platform - While I have a Henry 22lr, I can't recommend the Big Boy because of both the lack of a side loading gate and it's excess weight and bulk over the Rossi.

3rd, length - Please try the balance and pointing of the carbine before you decide upon what to buy. I much prefer the balance of the 20" over the 16" as it points and shoots much better and is pretty compact.

4th, thought - If you can find a good example, try to find a good used Browning M92 in 357mag. It's a beautiful firearm, well made and finished. It comes in a 20" carbine.

Last edited:

Ibmikey

Saying the .45 Colt is a pain to load is pure hokey, the .45 is a big fat high capacity straight wall case that slips down a carbide die like butter on a hot knife. I have loaded tens of thousands of them while in support of cowboy shooting and get quite a few loading s before the neck tends to have small splits, then you throw them away. I have loaded them with smokeless powder, black powder, lead bullets, gas checks and even jacketed bullets with no special problems.
As for a rifle I shoot original 44-40 Winchesters and Colt 44-40 pistols normally but through the years shot .45 Colt, 357 and 32-20 rifles and pistols. Chiappia makes the best 92 clone and parts interchange with Win. The reproduction Winchesters by Miroku are beautifully made but these latter two are expensive. I have several Marlins in pistol calibers, my favorite is a "Cowboy Competition" in .38 special made only a couple of years.

bobn

actually 44 40 is harder to load than 45. the case mouth of 44 40 is thin and easily crushes. cowboy shooting has made the brass and bullets available where I live. bob

mehavey

The 44-40 (and little sister 32-20) are very straightforward to load.
They size, expand and seat no differently ...and quite easily.
One has to be an unbelievably ham-handed gorilla to screw it up.*

*(... though one can do it if really determined.) ;)

STILL....
if you are a not a reloader, go with the 44Mag ... best all-round
If you are a reloader, then get the 45 Colt and stretch its legs.
If you are a truly dedicated (slightly nuts helps) reloader/caster... get the 44-40. :D

Just for fun (and small/medium game)... 357Mag

Cosmodragoon

I'd prefer a loading gate but the Henry is well-made. I think the "Big Boy Steel" is a good way to go but I just saw that they are releasing these in the "all weather" line too. It's worth thinking about.

As per the original question, I went with .357 but mostly because I don't reload. Ammo is affordable and widely available. The .357 seems to max out at around 16" but I think that's normal for a lot of pistol-caliber cartridges. I haven't had a chance to take it out but I know other guys who've taken plenty of deer with their .357 rifles. Overall, I think it's enough power for anything I'd really need from a pistol-caliber lever gun and it sure is fun for plinking.

I'd say get the .357 version and worst case scenario, you buy the other one later. :D

bamaranger

As you are ruling out used rifles I will not list a make, but current production, I would rather deal with Henry, despite their tube feed. Made here.....that sort of thing.

Regards caliber, I'd go with .357 every time over .45. Ammo more available, across the board, and cheaper to feed when reloading too. All up from a carbine, the .357 is no slouch, and loaded down, esp with .38's, it's near akin to shooting a
rimfire.

COSteve

My Rossi rifle has excellent case colors. Here are some closer-up pics of both. I added the bolt safety plugs to both of my Rossis and the leather wraps on the carbine myself.

DSCN2843.jpg

I also applied a single coat of WATCO Danish Oil, Medium Walnut right on top of the standard Rossi stain after I cleaned it. Here is the carbine before adding the stain.

100_0703.jpg

Here is how it looks now.

DSCN2837.jpg