Levergun in .357 or 45 LC

Rothdel

Pruning my collection of some redundant guns and looking to trade for a Lever 357 or 45 LC. I know Henry and Rossi currently make them. I'm looking to spend under $1,000 so I have to rule out a couple of the Italian makers unfortunately. Other than caliber and action I want the shortest barrel I can get legally with out going the SBR route. Other than that I don't care much about the details so long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger each and every time.

Anyone else beside Henry and Rossi fit the bill? I'm only looking at new firearms so please do not suggest used guns. Gun will primary be used for range time and maybe a woods gun when I go camping up north.

Given the pricing on the Rossi's I'm leaning that way since I could almost get 2 for the price of 1 Henry, but not completely sold on that yet.

Targa

For your uses I would be looking at Rossi, Henry and if your willing to roll the dice a bit a Marlin. I have a Rossi that I am very happy with. My dad has a couple of Henry's and he is very happy with them. Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor's & Co and Winchester can all be had around your $1000 budget but there is no way they would be my woods gun.

Rothdel

I'm leaning towards Rossi due to price and having a loading gate. I'm not sure I can get over tube loading a center fire gun.

Targa

Henry does seem to lose some customers due to being tube fed, I find them a refreshing change in loading vs. my Rossi and Winchester. Hope you enjoy the Rossi as much as I enjoy mine, the only thing I would have done differently is went with the 20" barrel instead of the 16".

P Flados

Your choices for makers are pretty straightforward and you will probably "get what you paid for".

However, I would recommend the 357 over the 45.

I load for both (in handgun). I have fired a few lever guns and tlaked to owners. There is not much that a standard 45 can do that the 357 wont also do. If you want more than a 357, the best choice is probably the 44 (that you did not include as an option). However, plinking loads in 357 cases (if you reload) or factory 38's (if they feed good) are a big advantage for the 357 when you are just out having fun.

The only reason I would recommend a 45 is if you want to pair it up with a 45 handgun that you fire a lot and just love.

chris in va

357/38 is probably going to be easier to find ammo for. Friend of mine has one in 45 Colt, and while it's a HOOT to shoot, reloading for it is a real PITA as the cases split early and you have to worry about that errant case on the ground.

Salmoneye

The Marlin 1894CB (CowBoy) is once again being made in .45 Colt...20" octagon barrel...

Anyone's guess when/if they will ever make another .357 chambered lever gun...

Deja vu

I had an old marlin 16.25 inch barrel that I gave to my son. I now have a ruger 77/357 with a suppressor. The ruger is nice but I miss my marlin!

I think For light shooting id go with the 357 for Heavy hitters id go 44mag or 45LC. It depends on what you want to do with it

Pathfinder45

I have the Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt. I don't do the Cowboy games, so I think of it in terms of a woods-rifle. I believe the 357 would be better for opportune shots on edible small game with mild loaded solid point ammo and still be okay on deer with approriate ammo. The 45, or even the 44 Magnum would probably ruin small name, but for Coyote-size animals, up though Deer, Black Bear, and perhaps even a well placed shot on Elk with the right bullets, the 44 and 45 will be more gun than the 357. So, in the field, there is a quite a bit of overlap in performance. For targets and plinking around, the 357 will be less expensive with factory ammo. The choice can also boil down to commonality of ammo to a favorite revolver. The 45 Colt generally operates at less pressure so standard loads from a rifle are noticeably the least loud of any centerfire rifle I've ever shot.

SaxonPig

Never had a 357 but I've had a couple in 45. I like this one a lot.

standard.jpg

WyMark

I have the Henry Big Boy Steel 16.5" carbine in .357 and can confirm that it's fun as hell to shoot. And just as fun with .38 spl.

TruthTellers

Henry does seem to lose some customers due to being tube fed...
I'm one of them. For the upcoming .327 Big Boy, I'm willing to let that lack of a gate go, but if I have the choice, I prefer a loading gate. It's more traditional and I like being able to top off a tube mag without reaching in front of the muzzle of a loaded gun :eek:

Longhorn1986

I'm considering one myself in .45, but only to match with my SAA in the same. The cost difference of ammo between .45 Colt & .357 Mag (and .38 spl) is pretty steep .45 Colt @ $0.44/round vs .357 mag @ $0.302 for reloads at LAX Ammo. Of course, if you've already set yourself up for reloading, then it probably wouldn't be as big a gap.

hemiram

My next rifle will be a Rossi 16" .357 in stainless. A lever gun has to have a loading gate. I like my Henry .22, but it's just not right..

bobn

graciously speaking, I have played with 357, 44, and 45 rifles of different makes. hands down the 44 40 is a better deal. more accurate, more historically correct, faster cycling, just more intriguing. just saying. bobn

I'll put a hand up.
I don'tt hink I have ever seen 44-40 ammunition for sale at a gun shop locally. Never really looked for it, but I can't remember seeing it. That would be a pretty significant negative for the majority of the shooting population.