Lever Actions, pistol calibres

stagpanther

My understanding of shooting pistol bullets at long range comes from shooting lots of them through carbines. Can be done, but it takes a bit more than just driving them fast, that's all I'm saying.

Savvy_Jack

Any particular loads--and were these standard pressures? I din't say it couldn't be done--but likely would be challenging--at least in my mind anything approaching a group at 300 yds. On the other hand--I'm awfully tempted to try myself.;) I wonder if I need to get an exemption for crossing PSA (positive control airspace) when holding over for elevation? :D

A while back I proved that the 44-40 200gr-215gr bullet can reach out to 265 yards (furthest my range provides) and only has an 11 to 12 degree impact angle down a 60 foot slope with an impact velocity of 950fps...as long as the muzzle velocity is around 1,250fps to 1,300fps. This is using the Lyman 427098 design but tweaked a little in profile...and a mid-range smokeless rifle powder.

My cast bullets, loads and marksmanship (or lack thereof) mean it is deadly for man to stand there while I am shooting. If someone who can cast better, load better and shoot better ever got a hold of it......I think they could give these silhouette shooters a run for their money.

Who gives a rat's rear-end about the trajectory as long as the target is hit, and hit with a purpose!

L0t0ZzxNUXUnyAjGe9iRngAbVoU17N1UjF9mpxiOY172xThik5IF4l-1qPgOwwzeMx-VGH0JMIexLRRVfM6xq0bJUL6VCWwvzFgWPR7QwiRpOKdMsjPSZ7cGnuv7p_jV=w1280

Last edited:

MSD Mike

In my Winchester 1892 - 44 mag with a 20 inch barrel I have no problem getting 1800 FPS (240 gr XTP) with slightly below max charges of 2400. What I have a problem with is shooting at 300 yards, or 200 yards. At 100 yards and less I can have some fun.

Mike