Lever action

Blindstitch

The joy of the limited zone. Right from the book.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 12)
In the Limited Firearm Deer Zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
• A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.
• A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm. Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons on pg. 21.
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min. case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high- compression power source.

disseminator

Those rules are archaic.

Get the 45 Colt, there are many good bullets and the 45 Colt has taken every game animal in North America.

It works.

Expensive if you don't reload though......

454 Casull and 460 S&W Mag fit into those rules too FWIW...

Buckeye!

Id look for a Winchester 94 Trapper in 30-30 or Marlin JM 336Y
Both have 16 in barrels in the proven 30-30 .. The original "Been there, done that " cartridge

Water-Man

Sounds like a 327 Federal Magnum would fill the bill.

Don't know about Rossi, but Henry will be introducing one shortly.

mehavey

"...narrowed my calibers down to 44-40 45 colt 357 mag or 41 mag..."
echoing the question of another poster... why did you exclude the 44Mag?

IMHO, that would be the no-brainer/1st choice as best lever-action quarterhorse to do everything.

Tony Z

Since you delayed the immediate purchase for a few days/weeks, I would take the time to scour used sources and maybe even the web, to find a rifle that speaks to you. I've got many, many firearms, with levers being my current favorite. From what you describe, it seems a vintage Winchester or Marlin will fit the bill. Problem will be finding the right caliber. This leaves the Henry, Rossi (also a couple of far more expensive Italian made rifles).

Henry and Rossi are readily available in pistol calibers-handle both to see if they handle naturally. But, more than anything search out that gun that just feels right.

COSteve

In addition to the 30WCF (30-30) others have mentioned I also have leverguns in both 45colt or 357mag; carbines and 24" rifles in each caliber. All are fun to shoot and would work just fine for the OP's purposes. As a truck gun on the farm, I agree that a compact levergun shooting one of the pistol bullet calibers would be perfect.

While all are relatively inexpensive to handload for, as the OP hasn't said if he handloads, I'd suggest he consider the 357mag over the other calibers as it's the most economical to shoot using commercial ammo.

As the owner of 2ea Rossi M92s in 357mag; a 20" rd bbl carbine and a 24" oct bbl rifle, I really like the compact design. Both are pretty darn accurate ( I shoot the 24" rifle out at 300yds with a tang and globe front sight) and with over 4K rds through each, both have been very reliable.

The 20" carbine is probably the best bet for the OP as it has a great balance and performance and as the Rossis shoot both 38spl and 357mag ammo, it's economical to shoot as well. In addition, both 38spl and 357mag ammo is readily available everywhere in various powers and bullet weights; the most common being 125grn and 158grn.

So he could use 38spl ammo for plinking, decent 357mag ammo for varmints and such, and Buffalo Bore's 357mag heavy that produces 2,153fps with a 158grn bullet for deer hunting out to 100yds.

Camnus

Don't have much to add on the caliber choices to each his/her own. What I will say is best of luck to you finding the Rossi 92 in 357, been looking for months.

Tony Z

I have also been looking for a Rossi in .357, but with an octagon barrel. Has Rossi discontinued these?

Camnus

From what I was told from 2 lgs was that they ship them in 2 or 3 times a year, and they weren't sure when the distributers where getting the next shipment. when I get a little spare time I'll call Rossi customer service.

Cam

PatientWolf

When I was looking for my .357 Rossi, I just asked at Walmart. They pulled out the order book. I chose which one I wanted. They called the distributor and since it was in stock they could order it with a deposit. 3 days later it came and I was able to examine it.

Walmart may be limited, but it works for some things.

SaxonPig

None of the calibers listed would be my first choice for hunting. I would prefer a 44 Magnum. I have two pistol caliber lever guns, a 94 Trapper (16") in 44 Magnum and a Model 92 clone (24") in 45 Colt. The latter is strictly for fun shooting. If I were to hunt with such a carbine it would be the 44 Magnum. The 41 would also work but why when the 44 is just a little better?

Mycin

MSRP: $635.08 for a beater gun. You must have a lot better job than I did as a teenager working in Michigan.

FWIW, I gave $425 for my Rossi M92 .357 about 16 months ago, new. Granted, it was a cyber-Monday sale, but the regular price at the time was under $500.

To the OP, as noted I have a Rossi 16" carbine .357, and love it. The only knock on it is that the front sight didn't fit properly in its dove tail slot (too loose). I bought a replacement sight from Steve's Gunz for 20-something dollars and called it good.

I'm also a fan of the .45 Colt, and plan to round up a revolver and lever gun in that caliber in the no-to-distant future. But for what you describe, I think a.357 lever gun would be a perfect fit. That is, unless you consider "varmint" to include bears or something.

cdbeagle

Well OP are you or aren't you in an area where there are restrictions?
Like a number of others have stated if not restricted a 30-30 would be it for me.

Also why are you excluding Marlin from consideration? The "Remlin" issues are a thing of the past IMO though for a period of time they were very real.

I would use it for varmints and maybe the occasional deer inside 50 yds.

Forget the idea of taking deer in the field with a tractor involved its illegal.
i.e. Never can tell where those Yooper G/Wardens are hiding out with a pair of binoculars.
As for all other varmints you might come across in the field. 45 colt would be my preference. "Bigger is always better" Even if you miss?
That varmint it knows he/she was lucky to duck such a h~uge chunk of hot lead. ___ "No doubt you'll see it High-tailing it elsewhere." :D