Lever action

Deerhunt

I have decided to wait on the hunting rifles because spring has come and I will be out doing chores on the farm and want a gun that I could could throw in the truck or tractor. I would get a lever action just because those are my personal favorites for carrying around. I would get a henry,winchester, or rossi but whatever brand I got I would get the carbine model and have narrowed my calibers down to 44-40 45 colt 357 mag or 41 mag (henry only) I would use it for varmints and maybe the occasional deer inside 50 yds. What caliber would be best for that? Any preference for any of those 3 brands?

Blindstitch

Depending on where he actually is in Michigan he might have problems at least for deer with the shotgun zone or restricted to pistol caliper zone. I hunt in the U.P. so there's no restrictions there.

30-30 is a winner as I have 3 and Winchester, Marlin, and Henry are all pretty good.

For varmints you might be better off throwing a 20 gauge single or pump on the tractor.

tahoe2

I would get the Henry 41 mag cause I already have a revolver in same caliber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

kraigwy

I have a Marlin cowboy in 38/357 that is fun to shoot, accurate and super cheap ammo (I can shoot it cheaper then 22s).

But having said that, I have to agree its hard to beat the on 30 WCF, my wife's Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine, built in 1926 is pure pleasure. Smoothest lever action I ever saw and also accurate.

T. O'Heir

I'd look at a .45 Colt or the .357 just for ease of finding ammo everywhere.
The carbine model of anything means significantly reduce MV, so the .357 might be out.
Like Blindstitch says, where you are matters. Can't think of anything crazier than the assorted hunting regs. Around here, in Southwest Ontario, it's illegal to hunt with anything over .275 calibre by the cartridge name. Other parts of the Province say .270. Also by the cartridge name.

g.willikers

It might just be my imagination, but .44 Magnum and .44 Specials seem to have superior accuracy, from revolvers or lever action rifles.
Those weren't included, but those would be my choice, doubly so if you reload your own ammo.

Hawg

44-40 and .45 Colt are about the same ballistically with the .45 throwing a heavier bullet. Either one is an expensive proposition unless you hand load. The brass Henry's are heavy. My preference would be a Winchester 30-30 but since that's not on your list I'd go with a Rossi 44-40.

kraigwy

357s do work out of a 4 inch Model 28, I'm sure they would work in an short rifle.

IMG_NEW.jpg

223 shooter

I picked up a pair of 357 lever actions since last July - first a Marlin 1894C and just recently a Henry Big Boy Silver . I like the 357 since I have been shooting the cartridge in handguns for so many years. The accuracy of both rifles has been very good. And the 357 cost less to reload as well compared to the big bore calibers. Initially I was going with the 44 Mag and it is still a great choice , owned a Marlin in late 1980s and it was a lot of fun!

Deaf Smith

Just get a older Marlin 30/30. Works and works. Those .357/.44/.45 lever guns cost so much and don't do a dang more than the old 30/30.

attachment.php

And yep, that is mine.

Deaf

Deerhunt

I have decided to get a rossi m92 carbine for it will just be a beater gun and that is the cheapest but has the look of the large loop winchester. But I still don't know what caliber to get.

Rob62

Here is another vote for the .357 Magnum. If for no other reason than ammo costs.

Its perfectly adequate for Deer at 50 yards or less out of a lever gun. :D

Rob

Guv

If legal you can get a lot more gun for your money by going with a 30-30 over a pistol chambered carbine. If not 357 would be my choice.