Lever action VS bolt action

mitchell koster

Hello all.

I was thinking the other day about the accuracy of a lever gun vs a bolt action. My theory (i'm very open to new concepts) is that a lever gun would be less accurate compared to a bolt action. Why you ask: the theory is that the main area (i'm not sure of its technical name) but where all the moving parts are would not be as stiff on a lever action compared to a bolt action.

Another thing I think I need to take into account is what is the gun being used for. For example I'd rather have a lever gun when pig hunting because i think it would be quicker to opperate and a bolt action. But if i want to shoot longer distances I would shoot with a bolt action.

Like I said i'm open to new ideas and theories as to which are more accurate.
Do you think that this theory is correct? Whats your oppinion?

Thanks all and safe hunting :)

Scorch

Not all lever actions are created equal. If you want a lever action with the accuracy usually associated with bolt guns, look at a Browning BLR. It is not you average lead-slinger, most are capable of very fine accuracy. The first one I ever shot was in 243, and it shot 1/2 MOA all day long.

Abel

Your run of the mill 30-30 should be, and in most cases are, accurate to 2MOA. Many that I have seen, especially the Marlin 336, is a 1MOA or 1.5MOA rifle. The cartridges that most lever actions are chambered for is your biggest limiting factor. The 30-30 has plenty of ability to kill deer-sized game out to 200 yards. Within its limitations, a lever action and your hunting format bolt action are neck & neck in the accuracy dept, with the ever so slight edge going to the bolt action.

jmr40

Depends on the bolt rifle. Most people think of bolt rifles as heavy, long and accurate, but slow to operate.

There are lots of bolt rifles that are lighter, smaller and quicker handling than any lever. They are certainly more accurate, especially at longer ranges. If you learn how to operate it, a bolt it is equally as fast as a lever for repeat shots.

I own and like lever guns. Hunt with them quite often just because I enjoy using them. But as a hunting tool, a bolt gun set up right beats the lever in every way.

GeauxTide

Under 150 yards, lever. Over 150 yards, bolt. If you're pokin pigs, the 308 class will take only one shot per pig, so recycling would be important only if you're trying to take down a herd.

Colt46

Lotsa variables and exceptions

Bolts have a one piece stock and a box magazine that allows spire point bullets. Pointed bullets have higher ballistic coefficients and shoot flatter. The one piece stock makes the platform more rigid.
Levers have two piece stocks(more wobble), and tubular mags that require flat point bullets.

Accuracy and range would favor the bolt action. Levers have a faster cycling time.

There are always exceptions. Levers with one piece stocks and rotary magazines exist in modern actions and probably rival bolts in accuracy and range.

Jack O'Conner

antelopebuck760.jpg

This is my most accurate rifle. Remington 760 in .243 shoots sub-1 inch groups with plain factory ammo.

Nope, not for sale.

Jack

Hoskins

Levers have two piece stocks(more wobble), and tubular mags that require flat point bullets.

....However, the new Hornaday LEVERevolution rounds allow a lever gun to have pointed, polymer tips that give it the aerodynamics of bolt actions. Not saying that this makes the lever a long range shooter, but it does bridge the gap a little bit.

Abel

Flat point bullets don't hinder ballistics as much as some folks will have you believe at ranges under 200 yards. And all this fuss about free floated barrels is bunk too. I've seen plenty of Ruger M77's that shot 3" groups out at 300 yards with stocks that fit the barrel as tight as a tick.

Gunplummer

I have to agree with Abel, some of the old model 70s had a stock so tight you would think they let a tree grow around it.

TXGunNut

If you think bolt guns are inherently more accurate than bolt guns you haven't fired many leverguns. My Guide Gun outshoots most bolt guns and reports of MOA BLR's and 336's aren't rumors. In theory a bolt gun should be more accurate than a lever gun. In practice with today's off-the-shelf rifles that ain't necessarily so. Some times I wonder how some of these leverguns shoot so well. Other times I wonder why bolt guns don't shoot better.

mapsjanhere

The day I see a lever action at the bench rest shoot I change my mind about bolts being inherently more accurate than levers. For a question like this, it's not what you get out of the box, but what you can do with it when you try hard.

GunGuy34

not all lever guns have tube magazines. my browning 30-06 has a four round magazine. Not sure of the terminology, but its detachable and rectangular.

TXGunNut

mapsjanhere, I was referring to off-the-shelf rifles. Haven't seen any off-the-shelf rifles at a benchrest match lately, have you? :D I know bolt guns should be more accurate than levers, just having trouble proving it lately.

Old Time Hunter

A levergun can be every bit as accurate as a factory bolt rifle of equivalent caliber, especially if you compare the BLR, the Win 88, and the Sako Finn all of which have rotating front lock up bolts. That being said, the Winchester 1886, 1895, M71, and even the Win 94 series along with 92 series can be quite accurate, The Marlins aren't slouches either, they've been known to knock the Indian off the Buffalo at a hundred paces too. The one thing about a levergun is that they are generally easier to carry, faster to the shoulder (for most people), and for the average person they cycle faster. If you have ever been surprised by big Brownie you will realize that a lever cycles while you run, the bolt has an additional movement that for the average person takes a whisker longer. Now if you are just plan'n on hunting from afar, say 300+ paces, I could justify one of those loose wristed twist bolts...maybe even with an optical enhancer...naw, I'd take my Winchester 1885 High Wall, a lever gun.

1885HighWall-1.jpg

A couple of hundred paces off-hand.

mapsjanhere, I was referring to off-the-shelf rifles. Haven't seen any off-the-shelf rifles at a benchrest match lately, have you?

I see plenty of them. Mainly at non-professional matches, mind you....

To be frank without being smug, looking at the pic(s) and specific accuracy claims from a lever action so far doesn't hold a candle to my experiences of bolts guns out of the box, per se. I think we need to establish distance and define what's accurate or not. Is a lever gun plenty accurate for hunting at 100 yards or under successfully compared to a bolt gun? Absolutely! Can a lever outperform a bolt at 600 meters? In generalities, not a chance...

P-990

General rules exist:

1) Bolt action will be more accurate *theoretically* because the lockup is tighter, more consistent and the one piece stock allows better rigidity. I know there are more reasons, but these are the BIG ones I can think of off the top of my head.

2) The lever gun will be faster for the *average* shooter. Period. I see way too many shooters pulling their bolt guns out of their shoulders to cycle at the range, I know proper bolt work is NOT common knowledge. For the record, I run an 03A3 through the NRA rapid-fire strings in practice from time to time, which always reminds me why I prefer my AR-15 for that work... But the two hand motions of a lever are easier than the four hand motions of running a bolt.

3) A good lever gun will shoot probably shoot adequately well anyway. My 336BL will shoot around 2-MOA, without much work. The trigger is lousy and the issue sights aren't any better, but the rifle will shoot. It's the person-rifle interface that needs to be improved mostly (trigger and sights).

TXGunNut

Good points, Tuttle, I stand corrected. I guess I need to narrow my focus a bit to stock hunting rifles.:D
I'm familiar with purpose built target rifles and their capabilities. I'm toying with building one at the moment. I've just had a bad run of luck with bolt guns over the last several years. I've had hunting rifles from Weatherby, Ruger and Winchester that couldn't do MOA on their best days with tailored handloads. I have a Marlin Guide Gun and a couple of Contender barrels that make it look easy. I guess I should have bought a Savage, probably will next time I buy a bolt gun.
I realize a hunting rifle doesn't have to shoot MOA to be effective but it's what I want and I see no reason why a good quality stock bolt gun can't do it. I also realize my 94 Trapper in .45 Colt isn't going to give a rail gun much competition. I just think we need better bolt action hunting rifles and I'm spending a small fortune looking for one.