Let's talk bolt-actions.....what's your favorite?

rantingredneck

Seems like there are a lot of rifle threads on the forums lately about AR's, AK's and the stuff most likely to be the target of an AWB. Let's change gears a minute and talk about bolt actions. Hunting rigs, bench rest, whatever your purpose for them.

I'm a Remington 700 guy myself....

My 2 main hunting rifles are Remington 700 ADL's in .243 Win and .30-06. Synthetic stocks, matte finish, iron sights, with Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40's on top.

Nothing fancy but they work. I like the 700 action and design. Both of these rifles have put meat in the freezer and I've got less than 550.00 (not inclusive of taxes) in each with gun/optics/mounts.

I bought the .30-06 right after my divorce from my first wife. Didn't have much spare $ at that particular time, so the price (369.00 IIRC) fit my needs. I still ain't rich by any stretch of the imagination, so the difference between a 300.00 rifle and a 600.00 rifle is a significant difference to me. The .30-06 has worn several cheap scopes through the years until I settled on the Nikon Prostaff (Still not high end at 149.00).

I bought the .243 Win a couple years ago when Walmart was clearancing out their ADL's (325.00). Mostly for my son as he gets older, but also for Dad to use in the mean time. The cool thing is that when he does start to hunt with the .243 he'll have a rifle that looks just like Dad's down to the name on the scope. Only difference is action length and caliber.

Only modifications to either is that I've free floated the .243 back to the action in the original ADL synthetic stock. It shoots 5 shot nickel sized groups at 100 yds with Remington Express 100 gr. Corelokt ammo. I have yet to free float the .30-06 but will likely do that soon.

Maybe I'm cheap. Maybe I'm just practical. Either way I'm happy with my 700 ADL's.

So what's yours? Winchester 70? Ruger 77? Sako? Tikka? Blaser?

lately I've actually been on an anti-auto kick... I sold off ( traded ) my AR , & none of my other autos are getting exersized much any more ( the 10-22, & the SKS get the most "auto exersize" ), because the cases are throw away ( I hate chasing around reloadable brass ) I've been shooting a lot more single shot rifles than anything right now, but my favorite bolts right now are probably my CZs... with my stainless Ruger 77 in 243 being probably my most underappriciated rifle ( always works, shoots great, doesn't get the respect it deserves )... my most often shot bolts right now, are my Browning Stainless Stalkers... I want to continue building a stainless bolt action hunting rifle battery, & right now, ( if it weren't for that Reington double rifle in 45-70 that I just hasd to buy, that's currently on layaway, the rest of my new guns this year will be Tikas ( dang they have a super slick bolt ) ( likely a 223 heavy barrel, & maybe a 270 yet this year ?? )

I'm currently building a long range rifle on a BRNO bolt action 30-06, I'm putting a Richards Micro Fit camo laminated tactical thumbhole stock on the action, & rebarreling with a heavy long 6.5 mm barrel, chambered in 6.5 X 284... I think to start with, I'm going to try using the 19mm Euro mounts machind on the reciever, with some 30 mm rings, & a 20X Super Sniper scope... I may have to figure out which of the special order MOA adjusted bases to use, for the really long ranges ???

Last edited:
I, too, am a fan of the 700 and its direct predecessor, the 722. I have two 722s (both .300 Savage) and a 700 in .243.

Althought I do have to admit that I am QUITE fond of my Remington 521-T .22.

zukiphile

Maybe I'm cheap. Maybe I'm just practical.

I'm not sure that either is a vice.

My great affection is for the bolt actions in .22lr. You can make a 10/22 very accurate and useful on running targets like rabbits, but the facility of a semi-auto detracts from the focus and paradoxical relaxation that results from use of a bolt action.

For three postion shooting, I have an old Marlin biathlon. You might roll your eyes at that and think that marlins are rubbish. It isn't shockingly accurate, but the bolt movement is so fast and fluid that you might womder why a fellow would ever want a semi-auto anyway.

For a slower pace, the CZ/BRNOs are very nice. CZ is regularly my first suggestion for someone investigating their first rifle purchase. They give very good accuracy, the triggers are easy to work on, and they aren't as ugly as the Marlin.

Bigfatts

My favorite centerfire actions are Mauser or based on Mauser. My favorite two right now are a pre-WWII Oberndorf sporter in .30-06 and a Husqvarna in 9.3x57. They aren't the fanciest but they're rugged, reliable and elegant.

I also love them for how easy they are to use as custom bases. Both my brothers are in the middle of Mauser projects as we speak. One a .375 Ruger, the other a .458 WM. I will soon undertake a 6.5x55 on a Yugo.

Savage would probably be my first choice after Mauser

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Sub-MOA pets:

Weatherby Mark V, .30-'06.
Sako Forester carbine, .243.
Remington 700 Ti, 7mm08
Model 70 Super Grade, 1952 vintage, .220 Swift.
Ruger 77 Mk II, .223.

I guess I'm not noted for brand loyalty. :D

LateNightFlight

I guess I'm not noted for brand loyalty.

I'd have to say the same. Today's favorite gun will eventually make it to the back of the safe, where after a year or two I'll rediscover it and feel like I've found something new that's worthy of favorite status.

Three regular favorites in that rotation are a .243 Sako Forester, .223 Rem 700, 7mm Rem Mag Ruger 77 MkII, and only recently - a 17HMR Savage 93R17BV.

penceman

Love my 700s. I have a .270 ADL I got from Wally World for $315 after tax. Deal of a lifetime if you ask me. I also have a SPS Varmint in .223. Its sadly still waiting to be fired, havent had the time to go to the range.

I've handled my brother's A-Bolt, my dad's Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, and Ruger MK II, but nothing feels better to me than a 700. It just fits me perfectly and I feel 100% comfortable shooting it.

HiBC

A CRF Win M-70 And then,I just have a special spot for the Springfield.I know,there are things to argue about,but I don't care.

Scorch

I am a big fan of Mauser style bolt actions (M98, Ruger 77, Win M70, etc), mainly because of how they look. But I like them all, depending on how well they shoot. As an old-time varminter, I like rifles that shoot into one inch all day long. Rem 700s do that with amazing regularity, so I like them. I also like Sakos, Howas, Weatherbys, and the new TC Icon. And Mauser 98s.

dahermit

Most favorites: Browning high wall and low wall B78's. Had an early one with the pronounced crescent butt stock 45-70 that was as brutal as it was beautiful. The most accurate gun I ever had was a B78 in 6mm Remington. And, my current favorite is a B78 low wall in .22 Hornet.

One of my earliest hunting guns(food gathering) was a single shot, shot gun. Took a lot of game with it, learned that you only needed one shot.

mikejonestkd

I have an older ( 1970s ) rem 700, a newer ( 2000 ) Rem 700 and a nice rem model 7, but my favorite for feel is the weatherby mark V.

Lavid2002

Savage 12 FP in .308 Win topped off with a warne tactical base, leupold MK 4 rings, and a super sniper 16x scope....Fill it with some of my reloads and the result is pure accuracy :p
Love that rifle.