Let's See Your "Survival" Rifle

idek

Jim243. I have that same stock and like it. Feels pretty solid for such a trim thing.

Looking at available 10/22 parts, the lightest stock I've seen is the Blackhawk Axiom, and the lightest barrels may be the Tactical Solutions offerings. Put Tech-Sight peep sights on and you could have an ergonomically friendly, semi-auto gun with hi-capacity at less than 4 pounds.

The stock is collapsible and the barrel is 16", so it could be pretty compact as well. Clearly not as tiny as the specialty "survivor" rifles, but it would handle like a "real gun" and if I needed to take deer-sized game or defend myself from anything, I'd feel much better with something other than a single shot.

Quote:
Are we to believe the kid posing with his packrifle and a good sized mountain lion actually killed the animal with that gun?
Why not, if you look close it was done with a head shot. I can take a deer down with a bullet through the ears and deer are larger animals. This is a survival thread no? Not saying I would go hunting with a survival rifle unless I had no other option.
Not disputing that it's possible at all, but the pictures don't look like they were taken in a "survival situation." It just strikes me as a little odd that one would choose that gun for a lion hunt.

Last edited:

arch308

why does a "survival rifle" have to be a 22 rimfire? If I was to grab a rifle for survival I would grab my AR. I've never been a fan of rimfire 22s for hunting anything except squirrles. A good .223 is a minimum for me.

idek

why does a "survival rifle" have to be a 22 rimfire? If I was to grab a rifle for survival I would grab my AR. I've never been a fan of rimfire 22s for hunting anything except squirrles. A good .223 is a minimum for me.
I suppose definitions of survival rifle vary, just as I suppose definitions of survival situation vary. Some people may think more in terms of "lost in the wilderness" while others may think "collapse of civilization." Probability of either happening is terribly low, but it's fun to hypothesize about anyway (kinda like when someone from Ohio asks what's the best choice for grizzly bear defense).

I imagine a primary reason for assuming 22lr is that the guns tend to be lighter and ammo has very little mass or bulk.

If I really wanted a lightweight, versatile gun, I'd maybe opt for a .357 revolver with a 6" barrel, a lasergrip, and/or some type of optics.... but I see this topic says survival "rifle"

Last edited:

Samdweezel05

I suppose definitions of survival rifle vary, just as I suppose definitions of survival situation vary. Some people make think more in terms of "lost in the wilderness" while others may think "collapse of civilization." Probability of either happening is terribly low, but it's fun to hypothesize about anyway (kinda like when someone from Ohio asks what's the best choice for grizzly bear defense)

All you need for grizzly bear defense is a .22 and an extra person. The extra person can't run near as fast as you if they have a 40gr .22 slug stuck in their knee. Just sayin.

MattShlock

Not my intent to limit it to rimfires of any type, that's up to you. However, it is a general "rifle" forum...

M-6 anyone?

AR-7 or whatever they are called today!?

BTW, Teddy used to hunt big cats in Africa w/buckshot...

BigMike349

I don't have one but I would have an H&R single shot 12ga with a shortened barrel and a rifled gun adapter for 22lr. I'm not sure if I would keep the wood stock and store ammo and the adapter in it or get an adjustable stock. I just love the idea of using the caliber adapters in a shotgun. If you have to scavenge ammo and have a bunch of adapters it makes it easier to find compatible ammo and increases the defensive/hunting capabilities of a single gun. I also saw someone who cut a groove in the wood fore end and glued in a firestarter strip.

csmsss

i always find survival scenarios humorous. Each of us thinks when everything breaks down, that we're going to feed ourselves with the little critters. Yet that's what each of your neighbors is thinking as well. There's not going to be a hare, squirrel, groundhog or any other four-legged protein source left anywhere once all this survivaling begins.

BigMike349

i always find survival scenarios humorous. Each of us thinks when everything breaks down, that we're going to feed ourselves with the little critters. Yet that's what each of your neighbors is thinking as well. There's not going to be a hare, squirrel, groundhog or any other four-legged protein source left anywhere once all this survivaling begins.

Look at the earlier post from idek. It depends on your idea of survival. I think most people (including myself) were thinking of a wilderness survival situation where civilization still exists and other people are more likely allies than enemies. If civilization collapsed and people were competing for resources you might be right depending on the circumstances.

Pond James Pond

I made a bolt on stock for my Ruger MkIII 512. Not a rifle, per se, but I'd probably take that. I need more training with it and re-work the cheek weld and I'd like some sort of optic, but that would work for me.

g.willikers

That would be an illegal firearm, without special paperwork, here.
In addition to the AR7 and bow and arrow that I previously mentioned, I will also include a good rod and reel.
And a tomahawk.

highpower3006

Sticking to the OP's concept of a light rifle that folds or breaks down for ease of storage/transport I have the choice of two different rifles.

#1 would be this Browning SA22:
IMG_1881-XL.jpg

Or this 10-22:
IMG_1888-XL.jpg

Of the two the SA22 is by far the most accurate with the broadest range of ammo types and brands.

No rifle. Just a simple cross-bow and a sharp machete is all I think I'll ever need. I see no need for in your face confrontations with anything that's left breathing. I'm not apposed to bushwhacking or booby traps. In order to promote me and my family's longevity under such bizarre circumstances.

S/S

Pond James Pond

That would be an illegal firearm, without special paperwork, here.

A SBR, I believe.

Over here it is illegal to make an existing firearm shorter beyond a minimum length, but it is not illegal to make a firearm longer, so those Glock stocks and carbine conversions where you sort of bolt your G17 into a picatinny'ed frame are all OK to own.

osirus82

I love the .22 round and have several to choose from- a old single shot marlin bolt, a sig522 and a .22 6 shooter pistol. But if i had to choose a single survival gun i choose my glock .40 sub2k like 6lbs maybe with 30 round clip- plus clips are interchangeable with glock 22,23 and 27's. and it folds in half

Husqvarna

If I was stranded in some sort of survival situation I wouldn't want some takedown rifle, I may be hurt, disorientated (and if there are two pieces required then one is missing, I am already unlucky if the plane has crashed so...)

Guess I take my savage mkII

MattShlock

Someone should make a movie like that! And in the end the guy looking for the other half of his gun is eaten by wolves. Whaddya think?
:rolleyes: