Less than lethal options - the Advanced Taser

jawper

From Jane's Police and Security Equipment
1 August 2001

Less than lethal options and the Advanced Taser

Mike McBride Editor, Jane's Police and Security Equipment

Following calls for the British police to be routinely armed in the aftermath of the Broadwater Farm Disorder, London, in 1985, various alternatives to firearms have been examined. First came rigid bar handcuffs (which almost all Forces have adopted) to replace their chain-link models. These handcuffs can control a prisoner safely and effectively due to pressure on the wrist joint. Next, longer batons were evaluated to supersede the old-fashioned wooden truncheons. As a result of these trials Forces issued their officers with either a long polycarbonate plastic baton, with or without a side handle, such as the ARNOLD or MONADNOCK, or an extendible baton, such as the ASP or CASCO. These batons are more effective in keeping a suspect at a safe distance due to their extra length.

More recently, Forces have issued CS canisters, which can temporarily incapacitate most suspects by the reaction of the CS particles on the skin. It is unusual for CS to have any long-term effects, but some Forces are still considering other chemical options, such as Pepper Spray. All of this equipment has training implications, and officers are taught the correct techniques to use in addition to their skills in risk assessment and talking to people to defuse potentially violent situations.

Meanwhile, less-than-lethal options continue to be developed around the world, and one of these is the Advanced Taser. If, as a result of research and a pilot study, the Advanced Taser becomes recognised UK police equipment, it is unlikely to replace any current use of force option, such as a baton, CS or firearm. Rather, it will add another option to the UK police officer's repertoire.

The Advanced Taser, made by Taser International in Arizona, USA, fires two probes up to a distance of 15-21ft from a replaceable air cartridge. These probes are connected to the weapon by high-voltage insulated wire. When the probes make contact with the subject, the Advanced Taser transmits powerful electrical pulses along the wires and into the body of the person through up to two inches of clothing.

Unlike traditional stun technology weapons, which operate in a 7-14W range and interfere with the communication signals within the nervous system of the target, this electro-muscular disruption (EMD) weapon uses a powerful 18-26W electrical signal to completely override the central nervous system and directly control the skeletal muscles. This EMD effect causes an uncontrollable contraction of the muscle tissue, physically debilitating a target regardless of pain tolerance or mental focus.

The M26 also provides revolutionary weapon management technology. Every time it is fired, the M26 stores the time and date, providing complete and accurate documentation of usage. Furthermore, every time an air cartridge is fired, up to 40 small confetti-like ID tags called AFIDs are ejected. Each AFID is printed with the serial number of the cartridge fired, allowing departments to determine which officers fired the cartridge.

Prior to the launch of the M Series, over 60 volunteers from SWAT teams, military special forces, and police agencies were hit with the M26 Advanced Taser (26W system) with a 100 per cent incapacitation rate. Each individual was immobilised in less than half a second. Volunteers from elite units were used because the top 20 per cent of combative suspects cause the majority of problems for law enforcement personnel. Many of these individuals do not respond to existing less-than-lethal weapons. When traditional less-than-lethal force does not subdue a suspect, force escalates, resulting in injuries or fatalities and potentially massive liability.

In addition to providing some of the most effective takedown power available, the Advanced Taser's revolutionary weapon management technology offers built-in integrity of use, since each officer is unquestionably accountable for his or her use of their Advanced Taser.

Furthermore, the Advanced Taser does not have the cross-contamination problems sometimes associated with CS or Pepper Spray: officers themselves can become adversely affected by CS particles shedding from a suspect they have to struggle with to restrain.

The Advanced Taser is issued extensively to peace officers throughout North America and is being marketed on mainland Europe. These officers rate its effectiveness highly and have confidence that it will stop an aggressive individual from causing harm to themselves or innocent bystanders.

Commentators unfamiliar with the realities of policing may have an unrealistic expectation that officers will need to escalate their use of force from initially communicating, then using empty hand techniques, then handcuffs, CS and baton, followed by the Taser, before eventually resorting to a firearm. However, police, in their duty to protect the public and bring order out of chaos, may have to use a firearm as their first response if the threat posed is serious enough to justify it. If someone is brandishing a gun, or what looks like a gun, at police officers, it would be foolhardy to expect those officers to attempt to use an option other than a firearm. Less lethal options will therefore never replace firearms.

The police have no great desire to increase the amount of force options they give to their officers, since each extra piece of kit brings with it its own cost in procurement and training. The reason why the police are being forced to look at less-than-lethal options is to manage conflict situations faced by their officers. The use of force options such as the Advanced Taser is thus necessary to protect the police and the public they serve.

355sigfan

I had training in the advanced Taser about a month ago all I can say is it knocked me on my Arse. I could not move it did not hurt but it was not fun either. We did pepper ball training the same day that is also a very usefull non lethal weapon.
PAT

C.R.Sam

I wonder how it does on people using pacemakers or having other abnormal heart problems. Also epileptics etc.

From what little I know so far, looks like it should be used only in situations where the use of deadly force is justified. The half second take down sounds wonderfull.........better than bout any firearm shot.

Sam

355sigfan

No it is not to be used only when lethal force is necessary. It is at the same level as pepper spray on the use of force continum. It does not hurt those with pace makers anymore than those without. It was covered in the training. If you miss it has a secondary stun feature. However the stun is a contact stun like a traditional stun gun and its not that effective. It will stun most people but it will not knock them silly like the taser does. It is a neat weapon system but it must be understood and used correctly. It is a good system to use with lethal over watch in those circumstances when you don't want to shoot by may have to. It is also good for dealing with that 6foot 5 320 guy that could just wipe the floor with you and 3 of your best friends. It is also good for sucidal people.
PAT

Jhp147

M26 Taser info

I've had the instrutor's course in this thing, and can answer a couple of questions:
RANash: Second shot? Gotta pull the cartridge off the end and replace it with another. Takes a second or two.
CR Sam: No danger to pacemaker patients whatsoever due to extremely low amperage (but 26K voltage). The Taser puts out a fraction of a fraction of what the shock paddles used on heart attack patients use. I have the exact numbers in my book at work if you are interested.
355Sig: Your assessment of where it lies on the force continuum is correct by company standards, but individual agencies have it higher.
FWIW, Taser tracks uses of its tool. If you use it, you submit a use report and they send you a free replacement cartridge. They have gobs of reports, never a single permanent injury. One guy fell off of a roof when shot, but that was not exactly the Taser's fault, it was the operators.
Excellent tools if used within their limitations.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Less than lethal defense options are a great evil.

1. They allow governments to subdue citizens without the possibility of harming them--therefore the government's decision to use force is made much more easily and is much more palatable to the general public.

2. If they become effective, they will, in the minds of many people, make guns unnecessary--making the decision to eliminate guns from society much easier and seemingly more reasonable.

3. They encourage crime by removing the chance of death from consideration in the mind of the criminal.

4. They pacify citizens who demand an option for self-defense yet are denied the right to own and carry a gun by their government.

5. When ineffective, they provide a false sense of security to those who rely on them.

355sigfan

2. If they become effective, they will, in the minds of many people, make guns unnecessary--making the decision to eliminate guns from society much easier and seemingly more reasonable

This is not an evil but a great good. This is far from becoming relaity but the ultimate weapon would stop an attacker without leaving a scratch like a star trek fazer. I am not god and I do not wish the responsibility of who lives or dies. We use guns because they are the most reliable weapon for stopping people if that change great.
It is up to soceity to impose the death penality not the armed citizen or cop. If someone dies because we shot to stop them and they died that is unfortunate not a blessing.
PAT

JohnKSa

Administrator
355sigfan,

Guns serve many purposes in the hands of citizens. Self defense is only one. Recreation is another--perhaps the least important one.

Perhaps one of the most important purposes of private gun ownership is that it maintains, to some extent, the balance of power between governments and citizens. Private gun ownership is part of what keeps government in check. It is clear from their writings that the founding fathers of this country understood this--after all, they had used their personal firearms against their government when the oppression became intolerable.

One can see that this is true by the simple fact that there has not been an oppressive regime in history (since guns were invented) that didn't begin by curtailing gun ownership among it's citizens (unless they were already denied that right).

Removing guns from the hands of citizens simply because they now have less-than-lethal self-defense options shifts the balance of power back toward the government in a big way. And, you know what they say about power...

Besides, you completely ignored the other 4 points I made. Each of which by itself (except perhaps the last) is sufficient, to uphold my opening statement.

355sigfan

JohnKSa

No where did I say We should take away firearms. I did say that the ideal goal is to have a weapon that would stop and not kill or hurt if possible. Your other points are paranoid dillusional the goverment is out to get me stuff. But if thats your oppinion so be it.
PAT

EnochGale

A reliable nonlethal is a god-send. Many years ago when I was in the mental health business, I had to talk for two hours to a sucidial teenager with a knife. Shooting her would have been extreme.

I wish we had something like this then. Luckily, we talked her out of hurting herself or us.

Police and other folks face situations all along the force continuum. Options are good.
Sometimes, the RKBA drives folks to nonsensical arguments.

Fatcat

How long does it apply the shock? 26W is a decent amount of electricity..

Reason I ask is that I have quite a lot of "experience" ( ;) ) with the electric fence we have up at the farm. It puts out 50,000 volts in 140 millisecond bursts. This gives you a jump, but doesn't do anything bad.

The burst regulator was messed one day, and it was bursting about 2 seconds straight every 10. I thought it was completely broken, so I grabbed onto the wire. About a second later it hit me.. couldn't move, but I was still conscous and aware. Shock stopped, I let go, got up, and beside a burn on my hands and a tingle in my body, there was certainly nothing debilitating about it.

So, I don't understand how this thing keeps subjects under control for very long, considering it's limited to battery power. :confused:

Farmer close by had a hole burnt in his heart after just 1 contact with a properly operating electric fence. Electricity is an unpredictable thing..

JohnKSa

Administrator
Your other points are paranoid dillusional the goverment is out to get me stuff.

355sigfan,

I'm in good company. Our country was founded on the principle that if you let it, government will become oppressive by virtue of the nature of the beast. A good portion of the work done setting up our government was to try to prevent the government from gaining too much power over the citizens.

You don't know much about history, do you...

But, that's your choice.

Cheers,

John

It's a pretty cool device, we sell them and the M18 (civilian legal model) at 1SKS.com. The thing to keep in mind is that Less Lethal is not a panacea, but another tool in the inventory.

It's been used with great effect on several occasions against numerous individuals. The Law Enforcement version has an effective range of 21 feet - the civilian version is limited to 14, and has lowered voltage.

Tactical teams can use it to subdue individuals without having to, gasp, shoot them. Correctional officers can use them to remove prisoners from their cells without having a physical confrontation. Like I said, it's another tool in the inventory.

Does it have a rapid second shot ability? No - the cartridges are one use only, and though they can be changed in less than 2 seconds, I wouldn't recommended using it against multiple targets. Heck, I'm not sure I'd even recommend it for civilian use, but it is an option when you don't want to shoot someone.

Kevin

MAD DOG

FWIW:
High voltage electrical weapons must necessarily discharge their current through the path of least resistance.
Normally, clothing will have more resistance than human tissue as it lacks the electrolytes and fluids that make human tissue conductive.

A layer or layers of aluminum foil or other highly conductive material (Aluminized mylar,etc.) somewhere in the clothing will defeat any Taser type weapon by rerouting the current through the foil/conductive layer.
The aluminized mylar has the additional attribute of being highly insulative on the non aluminized side, and can further preventor attenuate invasive voltage influx to the body.
The only real necessity is choosing material that can handle the wattage of the current applied.

The Brits, silly about weapons as always, have shat the bed again.

JB-man

355sigfan

I was reading the progressing debate over about the Taser vs. the firearm.

One thing to bear in mind, if you "tase" a guy down and the police do come and take him away, the guy will go to jail.
BUT
That criminal will get out in a few short months (or a few years) and 85% of the time will go and commit the same crime again, either against you or someone else.

If I were in that position, I choose the firearm.
Believe me, the LAST thing I want to have to do is to end someone's life. God forbid, I should ever face such a day.
BUT
If someone is threatening my life, or my wife's or childrens' or property, I have every justifiable and moral, and BIBLICAL God-given freedom, to put the guy down, even if it means lethally.

Then again, I can list many GOOD reasons, to have a Taser gun in your possesion!
For instance, if you are in your car, and someone tries to nab you or your car... you probably don't want to lose your hearing and your face by firing a gun from inside your car..... but the Taser will faze the guy enough to either let you drive away, or hold him until the police arrive.

Police are law enforcement, and do try to protect and serve..
But more suprisingly, WE as citizens are ALSO law enforcement... within reasonable margins....
If we see a criminal act, either against us, or someone else, it is OUR duty and obligation to stop it; and to protect life, liberty and property. (It's in the Constitution and the Dec. of Independence)

Somethin' to chew on....
--hey, I would like to have one of those Tasers, as a good backup.
You get one, and so will I...

355sigfan

JB-man

I know current recidivism rates are high yes, but does that give me the right to be the exicutioner just because I can. I use a gun on and off duty because thats the most reliable self defence weapon made right now. If something came along like the Star Trek Phazer I would use it. I do not relish in the blood of other men and I do not delight in spilling it. I will do what I have to do and kill if I have to its part of my job and common sence. But if their is any way around it then that is the way to go. The death penality is for a court to administier not me a street cop or a civilian. We only resort to lethal force if our own kneck in on the line or someone elses. As for the other poster who asked me if I knew my history. Yes I do and the founding fathers were great men. But saying the use of non lethal weapons that saves american citizens lives (yes thats who your talking about shooting) is going to get all our guns taken away is silly and border line crazy. I thought people like that woke up after the new years eve of 2000 when the world did not END.
PAT

JB-man

355sigfan

That's when a little unwritten rule comes in....
Lethal force as a last resort. For a police officer or civillian.
As I said, I don't want to have to kill the guy, and will utilize alternative methods, if they are effective. But if the aggressors clear motive is to threaten my life, and I'm backed in a corner, I must use whatever means to stop the crime in progress.
I guess there are hundreds of scenerios and situations that could be solved many different ways....
There are many great uses for a Taser, and my mind has been on that for the past week, since I first learned about it.
Could be a very useful tool for anyone.

JohnKSa

Administrator
But saying the use of non lethal weapons that saves american citizens lives (yes thats who your talking about shooting) is going to get all our guns taken away is silly and border line crazy.

355Sigfan,

Not sure what world you live in, but there are plenty of people who are ALREADY advocating the use of non-lethal weapons to the point of eliminating the use of firearms. More than that, there are a lot of people who want firearms eliminated regardless of whether good non-lethal weapons are available or not. The more and better non-lethal options available, the easier it will be for such people to achieve their agenda.

And, if you read my points, they had a lot more to do with the deterrent effects of private gun ownership than with "talking about shooting American citizens".

Although it wasn't my main point, since you keep harping on "executing people", I'll address that issue.

I want a criminal to know that when he threatens the life of a citizen (like me) or an LEO (like you) that it could cost him his life--not that he might be stunned (or whatever) and then be back on the street after he posts bail or does his time.

Does that mean that I want to execute people or "shoot American citizens"? Not by any stretch of the imagination! If you read my posts, carefully, instead of just dismissing me as crazy and putting words in my mouth; you will see that I am talking about DETERRENT.

What I want is for the THREAT of loss of life to convince a criminal not to commit the crime he is contemplating. I don't want to shoot anyone--I want the deterrent effect of gun ownership to prevent the crime BEFORE IT TAKES PLACE.