Left hand flintlock?

PetahW

[Anybody know of a lefty flintlock? ]

One could be built, as this one from OH was.

Flint_Lock_80.JPG

darkgael

lock time

Just a note - another point of view -
Long lock times and frequent failures to fire will test your skill as well as your patience.

I take exception to that as a blanket rule. I rarely shoot caplocks any more, preferring my flint guns. I can count the failures to fire in the last two years on the fingers of one hand - and I shoot frequently.
Long lock times - properly loaded and prepared, there is little to no difference in time between trigger pull and bang when a flint gun is compared to a caplock.
Don't overfill the priming pan - about 1/3rd will do.
Pick the main charge with a vent pick.
Make sure that the priming charge is properly placed in the pan. I usually slap the right side of the gun in order to jog the priming charge over.
Ignition is virtually instantaneous.
Pete

ThomasT

I thought about a flinter myself. I have 7 cap lock rifles now and just decided I would more supplies instead.

I now have 7000+ caps and about 45lbs of powder. I just ordered 25lbs of black powder from Powder inc. It worked out to $13.10 per pound. It was the same price for 25 pounds as for 50 pounds. That was a much better deal than Grafs. That $13.10 included the shipping also.

There was thread here in the black powder forum for a dealer that buys Goex in bulk and puts it in his own cans and sells it for a couple of bucks a pound cheaper. I just can't remember who it was at the moment.

It also may have been on thehighroad BP forum. Its hell to get old and lose your memory.

Lyman Great Plains would be about the easiest left handed fllintlock you can pick up. Don't get discouraged about the "long lock time." Kept clean with a clean touch hole, sharp flint and well tuned lock, you can't discern the difference between a flintlock and a percussion gun.

BTW, I've got a very dull flint on my gun and it has over 120 shots to its credit. I'm lazy and cheap as I've hundreds of spare flints here (just in case the Brits return for Round III).

PetahW

[Long lock times - properly loaded and prepared, there is little to no difference in time between trigger pull and bang when a flint gun is compared to a caplock.] - Amen

[Don't overfill the priming pan - about 1/3rd will do.]
[Pick the main charge with a vent pick.]
[Make sure that the priming charge is properly placed in the pan.]
[I usually slap the right side of the gun in order to jog the priming charge over.
] -

Excellent advice

[Ignition is virtually instantaneous.] - +1, provided your flint isn't worn, and in need of knapping or replacment

horseman308

Another +1 for the short lock times when your rifle is properly built and maintained. Those hangfires you see on the History Channel or in movies are just like most of hollywood's other gun-related ideas - a bunch of crap.