Learning to Work on 1911s

RickB

Originally Posted by jmstr:
Lately, I've gravitated to Evolution Gun Works products on my builds due to support/help that George over there has given me [on phone, and on 1911 forum dot com], but Ed Brown should make anyone happy!

I used to live right down the street from Evolution Gun Works original location, they used to do a lot of work on my guns, and they were the best. They moved up county and now they are strictly a parts manufacturer, and their parts are the best. George Smith is the 1911 expert in my book, a great guy to talk to on the subject.

Agree. If I need a part and EGW makes it, they get my business.

T. O'Heir

"...this web site:..." Steve site is just commercial manuals. This web site has the TM's and FM's. Listed under M1911. Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
Easy way to learn how to fiddle with a 1911 is to fiddle with one. No hard tools with a rotary tool. Polishing wheels only with jeweller's rouge for trigger work and a wee round file to do the throat. Easy job. Change the springs too.

boatdoc173

Tucker 1371

congrats on your success. I limit my gunsmithing to field stripping.LOL. I feel competent with that anyway(LOL) When I do need a part,I use Mr Ed.

You are very lucky to have skills to do this. mY hat is off to you

by the way--thanks for your service

Tucker 1371

Thanks boatdoc,

Polishing things is not terribly difficult. Slow and small are the name of the game. Don't make big drastic changes to parts. Take it apart, work on it, put it back together, test, repeat as necessary. And make sure you have the right tools, i.e. Don't use allen wrenches as punches and don't use 100 grit sandpaper instead of 1000.