Learning to Work on 1911s

Tucker 1371

Hey there TFL,

I've started to do a little of my own light gunsmithing. Just polishing up trigger components and such. I want to go just a little bit further and start working on 1911s. I'm fairly confident I can start working on triggers, haven't tried it yet but with the right tools it looks 100% within the realm of my skills. I also want to learn to throat and polish barrels and polish feed ramps.

Eventually, later on down the road, I'd like to build my own full custom fit 1911. Ive seen the attention to detail that goes into one and now I look at my Colt with a slightly different eye. I see where things aren't fit well that I think could be done better. I'd like to go to either a Larry Vickers or Bob Marvel course one day in the next couple of years.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, tools, or information sources they would recommend for getting started on this kind of work? At what point should I look at obtaining an FFL?

BarryLee

I too would like to learn a little more and get to the point where I could handle at least basic repairs and advanced maintenance issues. I suspect the first step would be a good book, but not sure what to get. I’ve seen the Jerry Kuhnhausen books recommend and wonder what people think about them or if there are others to consider.

mete

Kuhnhausen books are an excellent start !
The whole gunsmithing thing is continuos learning project , books magazines , forums, etc .You'll always be seeing new information ! Work at it ! :)

Tucker 1371

He has two books that seem to pertain to the 1911, one titled The Colt .45 Automatic and the other The US M1911/M1911A1 Pistols. I suppose getting both is optimal but if I could only pick one which would be best?

RickB

Definitely get the Kuhnhausen shop manuals.
I started by fitting parts to an already-functioning pistol, which is a great way to go; if your efforts are sub-par, the gun won't work anymore!

lamarw

The following may not be of help or if so the best of help. They are free.

First look and see if there is anything at this web site: http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Secondly: Perform an internet search for the Department of The Army Technical Manual. The search should be a search for "TM 9-1005-211-34". TM stands for Technical Manual. It is titled "Direct and General Support Maintenance Manual, Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic M911A1".

jmstr

If you can only get one Kuhnhausen book, get Volume I: The Colt .45 Automatic.

Take the time to really READ the entire thing at least once, all the way through.

This book is NOT an 'idiots guide to gunsmithing'. It is a detailed examination of different components, how they should function, how to test them and how to fix them.

The Volume I is what I would get if I were 'fixing up' my 1911.

The Volume II is what I would ADD to the Volume I if I were building a 1911 from the frame up, and wanted to make it something of as high a quality as a gunsmith could do.

To make something that would be akin to a $3000 handgun, you would need both for the full understanding.

To upgrade a $550 1911 to fit/function/look/feel like a $1200 1911, the Volume I is the key.

I have done both: using both books to build 3 1911s. I've been 'learning' how for the past 14 years. I have just gotten my 'high end' one finished [both literally and figuratively], and my other 'carry' shooters have seen small tweaks off/on for past 5 years.

Doing this requires time, patience, and a lot of attention to detail. I can never get my investment of labor out of the guns, but I may be able to recoup my cost in parts.

Yet, I can also not put a price to the satisfaction of having them 'just so', and having done it myself.

Take the time to immerse yourself properly- and enjoy!

Roughedge

I have built 3 1911's and every time I shave a few hours off the time. It takes time to get the fit just right but it's worth it when you finish. If you start to work on other people's guns and keep them overnight you will need a FFL.

P71pilot

I have only fit one part to my 1911, and have an Ed brown extractor waiting for the stock one to break. I fit my trigger and ended up with a super super nice trigger and pull/break/reset.

I plan on replacing my FLGR with a standard GI plug and cap, replacing my extended ambi safety with a standard GI type safety, the stainless match bushing with a carbon steel black angle bored bushing, and maybe replace the commander style lightweight hammer with a GI spur hammer. Some fancy grips would be nice too.

I love the 1911 and will learn it. May pick up a book when I can. I need to get a set of specialty jewelers hones and files.

Tucker 1371

Thanks y'all, keep it coming. I'll get the Kunhausen book ordered soon.

Right now I've got my Colt Rail Gun and an ATI commander fully broken down, just kind of fiddling with the parts and looking at how they fit while I wait for my tools to arrive from Brownell's.

In all likelihood the Colt probably needs a throat an polish done on it. Hand tools I'm fairly comfortable with but the dremel I'm a little apprehensive to take to my barrel. That said I think the fit on it could be a little better and if I mucked it up I wouldn't mind buying an oversize barrel and attempting to fit it myself.

If my eyes are fairly decent with contacts how much of a necessity is an optivisor?

P71pilot

Keep the dremel away. That is just asking for trouble.
I wouldn't mess with lock up at all, unless your bushings are a tad loose or tight for your liking.

I have completely broken down my 1911 frame about 4 times and am pretty used to how everything works now. I wish to slowly replace parts with higher quality examples. But don't fix what isn't broken i guess.

imashooter

The Kuhnhausen manuals are great. You need both. Vol 1 is basically an in depth how to and Vol 2 has all the specs and dimensions. Vol 2 might take you a little bit of time to bond with it. I also like the 2 books by Walt Kuleck.

jmstr

If you are going to do this, check out this link: http://www.m1911.org/1911desc.htm

The STI swf/gif is awesome, but clicking on this link will open it to a larger size: http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

It is an interactive gif/swf that allows you to hide/show different parts of the 1911 as it operates, to see how the parts work. I haven't seen a graphic better than this.

Just look at the list of parts on the left, and experiment with clicking the different colored boxes to the right of each listed item/component, to see how the 1911 operates with that part removed/transparent,solid.

very cool.

P71pilot

I picked out some parts and tomorrow I am ordering

-Ed brown GI style recoil spring plug
-Ed brown GI style guide rod
-Colt teardrop thumb safety
-C&S slotted grip screws
-Hogue checkered goncalo alves grips

Can't wait till they get here. My pistol will almost be exactly how I want it

jmstr

Ed Brown makes some good stuff.

I have used it before and been happy.

Lately, I've gravitated to Evolution Gun Works products on my builds due to support/help that George over there has given me [on phone, and on 1911 forum dot com], but Ed Brown should make anyone happy!

BigJimP

Ed brown parts are fine - but wilson combat parts are better in my view ...

Wilson also sells a 4 part DVD on gunsmithing the 1911 that is very good / a good addition to anyone's gun library in my view it's about $125 and you can get it thru brownells and others - or direct from wilson. Wilson's site has a number of good dvd's.

Kuhnhausens books are good resource material and tech manuals.

Last edited:

Hunter Customs

I don't know if Cylinder & Slide is still offering a class on building 1911 pistols if so that's a good one to take.
The other I would recommend is Bob Marvel he's a very talented smith.
If you are going to spend the money to learn you might as well learn from the best.
My oldest Grandson is showing an interest so I'll be passing my knowledge and skills to him, plus the shop if he wants it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

JDBerg

jmstr: said:
Lately, I've gravitated to Evolution Gun Works products on my builds due to support/help that George over there has given me [on phone, and on 1911 forum dot com], but Ed Brown should make anyone happy!

I used to live right down the street from Evolution Gun Works original location, they used to do a lot of work on my guns, and they were the best. They moved up county and now they are strictly a parts manufacturer, and their parts are the best. George Smith is the 1911 expert in my book, a great guy to talk to on the subject.