Lead Toxicity Risk in Casting and in Cleaning Cases

Yes, it's old, but it seems not to have convinced some newer members. The problem appears to be succumbing to the notion that anecdotal evidence constitutes a general proof. "I did this" or "I had that happen to me" without developing problems, only proves the speaker, personally, escaped the potential consequences. One reason that happens is purely random. Some person's individual physiology is just more resistant to exhibiting lead poisoning symptoms than that of others is. Some adults get symptoms with as little as 25 μg/dl lead blood levels, while others show none until as much as 60 μg/dl. If you are one of the latter, what you did without apparent consequence would not be safe for the average person, much less one of the former more sensitive ones.

When I was first tested in the 1980's, I was at 19 μg/dl, which was considered OK at the time. The acceptable level was dropped to 10 μg/dl a number of years ago, then, more recently, in 2015 the reference level for adults without occupational exposure was made 5 μg/dl. That may be hard for some of us to meet. I recall that our indoor pistol league first got anxious about lead toxicity in the 1980's (the reason I got tested) and we all started wearing respirators at our matches and washing hands more carefully before eating lunch (which some brought to the range with them). But we didn't stop shooting lead bullets. We did add ventilation, which originally was not there. Today that building would no-doubt be condemned.

Another point is those who have acceptable lead levels today, decades after their exposure in childhood, is that lead is gradually eliminated by perspiration, so how active you are or if you like sitting in a sauna can affect your personal levels and may not be applicable to a couch potato. Another factor is the most toxic lead is in the form of organic compounds that are soluble in lipids (fat). If you gain a lot of weight, the added fat can help reduce your blood lead levels by binding to those, so just being heavier than you were in your youth can improve your readings. But if you then go on a diet and lose weight, don't be surprised to your levels go up as these compounds are released back out of your fat stores. This applies to all heavy metal exposure as far as I know.

I still cast bullets and don't see issues with that as long as you contain oxides and keep washing your hands. I also installed ventilation over my casting bench. I use removable masonite bench cover sheets I can dispose of. It's a good idea to keep it off the floor, too.

Even the ancient Romans recognized that water coming through clay pipes was healthier than that coming through lead pipes because it formed "white lead" (lead oxide scale) in the lead pipes, which was known to be unhealthy even back then. Again, it isn't the metallic form that is a great danger, but the water and fat-soluble compounds. If you avoid those or prevent them from forming, you are good to go.

Marco Califo

I asked to be tested 20 years ago, and my HMO Dr refused (if they find it, they have to treat it. They did not want to $$$). I asked about chelation, a process to bind up and remove heavy metals. The doc told me it would just get deposited in bones and not to worry. I got off that HMO. I began avoiding lead. I tried some cilantro extract that was supposed to foster chelation.

locknloader

Can't believe some of the responses....

Some akin to:

"Radiation will not kill you, it's ok to be exposed for a long time look at me i am healthy!!!"

The whole point of the paper is to take precautions against contamination and raise awareness to people who may not be educated on the subject that are doing these activities and exposing themselves or others to unnecessary risk.

Nobody is trying to tell you not to cast, just be aware of the risks associated with the process and take whatever you feel are appropriate precautions. Being ignorant about it is just foolish.

Krcullen

Thank you all for your responses. We hired an inspector to test for “normal” lead (e.g. in the paint, etc.) as well as to take samples from basement dust and the hvac system. We shall see. The homeowners otherwise seem to have taken excellent care of the home.

I understand the “it didn’t kill me!” argument and to be sure have probably consumed plenty of toxic substances myself ;). But I try not to take that approach with my kids. Thanks again for all the input.

Marco Califo

There are bogus lame (and legal) inspections. Make sure your inspector is legit!

Lead paint is little worry. Just paint over it. That is a time of construction question. I own 3 houses older than me. They are 1928-1950 construction. They have lead paint. Some have 2x4s that are really 2x4!
I disclose the paint hazard to tenants. If it peeled, I already removed it. I did paint with modern paint. Only peeling lead paint is a hazard, all houses painted before around 1970 have lead paint. A top coat of paint remediates the lead paint hazard.
I will tell you that in buying those homes, I paid for several "house inspection reports" that were full of useless hooey, and did not mention the lead paint I already knew was there. But they had nice pictures of cracked windows, and missing light fixtures, etc. And the recommendation was always "consult an expert". If I am paying for it, I expect the inspector to be the expert. Since they were not, and disclaimed liability, I channelled Ray Charles "Hit the Road, Jack".
One ignored an unpermited basement we walked through. If you have ANY reason to suspect anything hire someone qualified to test. I would even look into sending my own samples to a lab (I am thinking a cottonball dipped in isopropyl rubbed on surfaces would pickup whatever). You should always have an contingency clause based on investigations that would let you back out. As I said above, mitigation costs can exceed the property value. So make sure beforehand. Share your concerns with your realtor. I would try to go so far as to request a written answer/disclosure from seller, that could undo the deal if he lies. If he refuses, that means he would be lying.

Last edited: