Lead lead lead

surg_res

Yeah that is an interesting metaphor. I am a vascular surgeon and get daily hours-long exposure to X-ray when using fluoroscopy, so would say that I am somewhat familiar with the long-term risks associate with that occupational exposure. We should chat that up offline--curious to see what you think about the rates of cataracts, face cancers, and brain tumors in our professional cohort.

Of course, that may all be 'fake news' if you choose to sell the equipment rather than make a living standing 18 inches from it.

The original post was about the potential for lead contamination in surface water. I wouldn't consider myself the general public, nor a sensationalist, but do want to protect my livestock, children, and wild game from contamination if reasonable. I think the bottom line is that most exposure risk is in the process of shooting, rather than in the accumulation of bullet debris. I'm not proposing legislation banning alcohol, tobacco, or lead bullets, but would consider it an exposure--and one that many may consider important in their long-term health.

ms6852

I worked with a lot of lead in my youth as a plumbers aid and never suffered any type of poisoning or mutation. I'm like every one else with 14 fingers and 9 toes.

armednfree

Lead becomes mobile after acted on by an acid. If you dig out a bullet that has been in the ground for some time, and that ground is not acidic, you will find a white coating on it. That is a lead phosphate coating and it immobilizes the lead.

Unfortunately that coating is broken down by acid. So what I would do if I was worried about it is test the soil for acidity. If it was much below neutral I might mix in some limestone screenings and #8's. Then I would sprinkle some Ag Phosphorus on it a couple times a year, rake that into the soil. Not a lot though, you don't want that running into the pond and causing an algae bloom.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18380230