Lead bullet choice for .44mag?

jhansman

I'm considering adding this caliber to my reloads and wanted to see what you all like in a lead bullet. 240gr. seems to be very popular, and I'm fairly certain I'd not go heavier than that. This is strictly for the range, at distances of 25 yds. or less. TIA!

P.S. This thread is not intended to start any arguments about bullet manufacturers. I have my favorite, as I am sure you do, too. I'm just asking about weight and type of lead bullet you like, and why.

Edward429451

I have 10 or 11 44 moulds now and the boolit that I shoot the most is Lymans 429421 255 gr Keith Boolit. I also have the 429650 mould which is the 300 gr gaschecked version of the 255 gr Keith which is a superb bullet, but I do shoot less of them than the lighter boolit.

2400 is my goto powder for 44 mag.

shootniron

Lymans 429421 255 gr Keith Boolit

Hard to beat that boolit.

I have a 290gr that I really like a lot also.

I shoot some W296, but my go to powder is W231 because most of my shooting, including hunting, is in the mid range power.....1200fps max.

WyrTwister

.44 Mag bullets

I have never loaded anything in .44 Mag but home cast Lee bullets .

I shot 240 grain SWC's for several years in a S&W M29 , until I bought a Marlin .44 Mag lever gun . The Marlin was not real happy with SWC's .

So , I bought a RNL mold . It feeds fantastic in the Marlin ( as does a .357 Mag RNL in a Rossie Lever gun ) .

Of course , the S&W does not care what about the shape of the bullet nose .

God bless
Wyr

HiBC

There is a 300gr that I enjoy shooting,and FWIW,I bored the gas check feature out of my 240 gr Keith mold.With wheelweight H-110 loads,it shoots fine.
For what you describe,we used to shoot a lot of zippy 215 gr Keith loads.
You buy lead by the pound,and they do get some velocity.
WhyrTwister,some of the 240 gr Keiths are just too long from the crimp groove forward,so the cartridge LOA,with the meplat dia just won't feed in the lever guns.It makes a bad tie-up to clear.
Not all 240 Keiths have this problem.There is even a 265 Keith that looks like it would work..It might be an RCBS .I haven't looked lately.The 300 gr truncated cones feed in my Browning 92

Last edited:

Fan45acp

I use Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets with good results. I'm using Laser-Cast 240 grain lswc now. You can get 1k delievered for $118.35...:cool:

jhansman

Yeah, I don't cast, so it would have to be store-bought. I've used OT bullets in the past, but can't seem to afford them now. Cabelas used to have the occasional good deal on them, but in the interim I've moved on to another manuf. Thanks.

PawPaw

Nearly any good 240-250 LSW bullet of good construction serves well in the .44 magnum. My favorite is the Lee tumble lube 240 grain. Pushed with 2400 it gives me 1350 fps from my 7.5" Super Blackhawk.

The load I shoot the most of, though, is that same bullet in the .44 Special case over 7.5 grains of Unique. That one gives me 970 fps and is very satisfying.

Ozzieman

What gun will you be shooting it in?
My Ruger Blackhawk likes the 250 and is very accurate. The problem is that it’s only accurate with larger diameter bullets .454.
My S&W 25 likes standard 451 for accuracy so I have to keep loads separate.
Who every you get bullets from make sure they offer different diameters and get one that matches your gun.

grubbylabs

I use a 240 grain cast swc over about 5.7 grains of Unique in a 329PD which is a scandium framed revolver. It is a great shooting load in that light of a gun. I can imagine it would be very pleasant in a 629 or Ruger Red Hawk.

I use the Hornady data and a Lee mold for the bullet. It is just a tumble lube bullet is all.

Good luck on your search.

jhansman

Thanks for the replys. I guess I would add another question-how often do you all shoot your 44s? My sense is that most owners have an assortment of other guns (as do I) and this caliber doesn't see all that much use. How so with you?

458winshooter

44 lead bullet choice

My choice of a 44 lead bullet is a 200 gr flat nose.In my neck of the woods that was the most common to find.All were based on a RCBS 44-200-FN,Lyman 427666, or a Saeco #944.When I started casting my own I went with a Lee 429-200-RF because it has nearly the same profile but has 2 grease grooves.I load them for my 44 spl Bulldog and both my 44 mags.All are very accurate and don't punish you with recoil even when loaded hot.As far as how often I shoot 44's,everytime I go to the range.I load up and take all 3 44's all 3 9mm's and now all 3 357's.I don't get to the range that often but when I do I will go thru 500-600 rounds in all sometimes more.Handloads have made it possible to afford it.

grubbylabs

Since my load is so cheap I shoot it quite often. the 5.7 grains of Unique also make it very cheap. Not counting the cost of brass which I bought new, I am $2.45 for a box of 50. Now since you are going to have to buy your bullet you are going to have be around 7-8 dollars a box of fifty if you pay about .14 cents a bullet. Plus your cost of brass. I bought a new 100 count of Winchester brass for about $30.00.

That load chrono's in the high 700 fps out of my 4" barrel.
And is quite nice to shoot from such a light revolver.

My 270 grain load on the other hand is pretty warm.

Good luck

Ozzieman

I probably shoot more 9mm than 44’s but last winter I purchased 10,000 44 lead from Penn bullets and I have gone through about half. But I also shoot ten 44 specials for every 44 mag.
If I take a wheel gun to the range which I do at least once a week it will be a 44 caliber gun so yes I do shoot them a lot. I probably shoot more magnums out of my rifles than the small number of 44 magnum handguns that I own.

mavracer

I know it's not trendy but I use Elmer's practice load Any 240-255gr lead SWC with 10.0 of unique. If I want to shoot 44 special level l have 44 specials for that:cool:

Last edited:

mikld

I shoot my .44 Magnums (4 handguns and one rifle) more than any others, except .22 lr. For years, my only place to shoot was at an indoor range (50'), but I shot everything I felt like shooting; I didn't limit my loads because I was shooting indoors at short range. I tried everything from 200 gr to 310 gr bullets at Special and Magnum velocities. I've settled down to three bullets, all cast lead, to feed my .44s. First, the Lyman 429421, plain base shoots well in all my handguns. Classic desigh, accurate. I also like Lyman's 429244 gas checked bullet. Gas checked bullet of classic design, for my "T-Rex Killer" loads. My best all around, I believe is my Ranchdog 265 gr GC FN bullet. It shoots good from all my .44s and feeds well in my Puma too. Most of my bullets are cast of wheel weight alloy and air cooled. I occationally purchase bullets (from Beartooth Bullets) and I get a 250 gr. WFNGC, .431", that is accurate in all my guns...

jhansman

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like I'm going to have to wait on getting the Redhawk I had my eye on until my CC bill is paid off. I am looking at about a grand total for the gun, dies, brass and bullet and amenities. One day. Sigh...

WESHOOT2

feeding my Redhawk

Penn Bullets 240g LSWC

7.3g Universal

CCI350

sized cases

OAL to crimp groove

crimped using the superior Redding Profile Crimp die

av from my 5.5" = 873fps

I use this load for plinking/close-quarters/IPSC.