Lawdog - Help! (What's a "court" gun?)

mk86fcc

Many years ago you provided descriptions of BBQ and "court" guns. I've found the thread containing the BBQ gun/ensemble, but no joy on finding the court gun. Can you post it again? Or point me to the old thread that had it? Thanks.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
A 'court gun' is the pistol you wear during your official-type duties at court, or when testifying.

Ideally it should be a Colt Gummint-model-type handgun, or a Browning Hi-Power, although any self-loading pistol constructed of actual metal and having replaceable grips can become a 'court gun', given a little loving attention.

Your intended 'court gun' should be nickled or blued, although stainless steel will work in a pinch.

Send it off to a reputable engraver and have an engraving job done on it. Not too ostentatious, though. Nothing more than 3/4.

Have the screws, safety lever(s), and slide release button(s) hot-blued to a nice electric blue colour.

Now, here's the important part: the grips. The newer kids out there are having grips made of stag, burlwood and exotic woods put on their 'court guns'.

This simply will not do. Stag, burlwood and the like are all very well for your carry gun, and can suffice for a 'BBQ gun', but are just Not Done on a well-executed 'court gun'.

Ivory, or something similar in appearance, which can either be scimshawed or engraved is the grip of choice for a 'court gun'.

Of the two techniques, scrimshaw is the one most used in these parts. Both grip panels, by-the-by. No cheating.

Your choice of art-work is boundless. Some variation on the Mt. Suribachi scene is good, the Alamo is always popular, as is any respectful version of the American or Texas flag, and of course, a tasteful rendition of a young lady is a timeless staple.

Now that you have a proper 'court gun' some thought must be given to supplying a proper holster.

Kydex is out. Nylon is out, verboten, nopenoway.

The only stuff good enough for a 'court gun' is leather. Ranger buckles and engraving - not basket-weave, and for God's sake, don't have your name engraved on the back. That's just...just...tacky.

And a bare minimum of accessories. Not much more than one mag pouch, open-topped preferable, should do it.

Voila! Court gun.

LawDog

Lawdog - your knowledge is boundless and I stand in awe of you. These rules of protocol which you patiently explain to us clarify much of the mystery of Texas law enforcement. It is not without reason that you Texans have the saying, "Don't Mess With Texas." :)

mk86fcc

Lawdog - Thank you sir, thank you.

Wingshooter - I'm not sure that was the thread ticklin' the back of my brain, but no Lawdog commentary is a waste of time! :) Thank you.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
Basket-weave is what is on an everyday rig. Wearing basket-weave leather to court would be somewhat akin to wearing your sneakers to court.

LawDog

johnbt

Court gun: There for a second I thought this was going to be about what gun to take to the basketball court after work. :eek:

John

Thumper

Will defer to Lawdog on this, but I think it's hard to beat a hard working TDC inmate's leatherwork for a court gun.

Dave R

So a court gun is more like professional dress, and a barbeque gun is more like fine jewelery, eh?

BBQ gun meant to be viewed, appreciated and make a statement about the wearer?

Court gun does not so much call attention to itself, as much as to reinforce the professional stature of the wearer when it is noticed?

Am I getting closer to the appropriate differentiation between the two?

Quartus

The only stuff good enough for a 'court gun' is leather. Ranger buckles and engraving - not basket-weave, and for God's sake, don't have your name engraved on the back. That's just...just...tacky.

<INNOCENT LOOK>

Well, then, does that mean that a heart with "Mom" engraved in it (with flowers of course) is not good?

</INNOCENT LOOK>

:D

Wingshooter

Rev. Cowboy said:
WHy should the leather not be basket-weave? I have all my holsters done in this manner.

Anybody can stamp leather, but it takes a craftsman to carve leather. There is a difference.

As a side note. I remember in the 7th grade we had a Ranger come to our class to speak and he pulled out the most beautiful 3/4 engraved 1911 I had ever (and probably will ever) see in person- yes it had ivory grips, with a Ranger badge inletted into the grips. He unloaded it, and proceeded to pass it around the room for us to examine. Imagine that happening in a classroom today... I miss the days of old. We knew how to behave responsibly and were treated accordingly, not unlike the coddling that goes on today.

Would a floral carved Austin holstr, River gun-belt, and 12 round belt slide for a S&W 28 with walnut grips work for a church gun? I am trying get something suitable for church. Thanks

exoduster16

What is the purpose of a court gun? From what I read here, it sounds more like a safe queen. That or it is for showing of in public?

blume357

From the way I read it,

And I'm fairly new to this fourm.. A court gun would be worn by a LEO while in court on the stand. seems that it might even be a standard rule in Texas...

I caught the 'idea' on a different post when I made a comment about Ivory grips... then they were talking about the BBQ gun and Church gun.

BillCA

Maybe y'all do thing different down in Texas, but here, most officers testifying in court on their day off wear suits and their OD gun is concealed. Officers testifying on a work day will be in their standard uniform and duty belt, unless they're detectives of course.

Hmmm. I'm sure things are different down there. I can't recall the last time I saw someone wearing a Stetson in court out here. :D