Laugo Arms Alien Pistol...

bac1023

Shoot it better how though? Anything I’ve seen on this is more about speed and recoil than accuracy (which is certainly important for competition and timed events). It’s no doubt accurate, but most production pistols can do 2-3” at 25 yd. While there are absolutely shooters that can do that while standing, my experience is it is not remotely common.

Let’s be realistic, this is a luxury pistol like a luxury automobile. If you have the money more power to you. If all you’re worried about is commuting to work you may be fine with a basic daily driver.

What do you mean how?

It’s got a crisp, light trigger, a super low bore axis, very tight tolerances, and a 5” fixed barrel. A monkey could shoot it better than a Glock 19. Anyone thinking they couldn’t is seriously underestimating themselves.

It’s not a luxury pistol. It’s a serious competition pistol. Are $6000 2011’s luxury pistols too or are they competition pistols built to dominate Limited and Open? Many think $5000 is insane for the Alien, when it’s fairly common for competitive shooters to drop more than that on a 2011. I know, I’ve done it.

I have plenty of luxury firearms. The Alien isn’t one of them. It’s a purpose built handgun.

TunnelRat

At what range? At 21’ where most people shoot do you honestly think it’s going to result in a massive difference?

It being purpose built in no way doesn’t mean that it isn’t a luxury pistol. You bought something that came with a signed case. It doesn’t need that to be a competition pistol. There’s an element of marketing to this that is comparable to other higher priced items in different industries.

There’s nothing wrong with luxury items. I’d add that the term luxury is also often relative. Just because you don’t consider $5000 on a pistol a luxury purchase doesn’t mean many others might not disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bac1023

At what range? At 21’ where most people shoot do you honestly think it’s going to result in a massive difference?

It being purpose built in no way doesn’t mean that it isn’t a luxury pistol. You bought something that came with a signed case. It doesn’t need that to be a competition pistol. There’s an element of marketing to this that is comparable to other higher priced items in different industries.

There’s nothing wrong with luxury items. I’d add that the term luxury is also often relative. Just because you don’t consider $5000 on a pistol a luxury purchase doesn’t mean many others might not disagree
To me a luxury firearm is just that. It’s a gun designed to just be super high quality and nice with no dedicated purpose. I have several and I agree there’s nothing wrong with them. Something like my Korth PRS or FK BRNO 7.5 I consider luxury pistols. The Alien is a gaming pistol, much like a $5000+ Atlas 2011 is a gaming pistol. They are not luxury firearms. They are meant to be thrown in and out of holsters and raced around the course. Period.

The signed case is only due to it being one of the first 500 pistols imported as a signature package. Quite frankly, it will be a better value than paying $4000 to $4500 for the gun with no extras, so it’s not like it’s marked up because of that.

I think you’ll notice a considerable difference between the Alien and a Glock 19 at anything more than 15’ or so.

TunnelRat

I disagree. There's nothing about the term luxury that means the item can't be purpose built. Luxury is about being beyond necessary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luxury

Obviously what is "necessary" is a matter of perspective and purpose, but for the average gun owner concerned about self defense and or local competition is a Laugo necessary for them to be successful or competitive? Remember, this is public forum that isn't restricted to top end competitors. A BMW M3 is a purpose built automobile. That doesn't mean it isn't a luxury purchase, for most people.

Larry Vickers has been a big proponent of the Laugo, calling it a revolutionary firearm. At 8:28 in the video below even he says, "The guys that are going for this are the guys that are driving Mercedes AMGs or Porsches or whatnot." It's not meant as a derogatory comment, it's just the reality that spending $5000 on a competition pistol is a luxury purchase for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtXx_3f5e4

Last edited:

bac1023

We will agree to disagree. If it’s just about money, where is your cut off point? Why buy a Glock for $$5-$600, when a $250 Taurus G3 has proven to be very reliable? The Glock isn’t necessary.

Call it what you will. I know the difference between expensive gaming guns and guns built to just be perfect. There’s a very distinct difference.

By your logic, a Glock is a luxury pistol for those who need to save up for a month to spend $200 on a self defense handgun.

Where’s your cut off point between necessity and luxury? If someone needs an Alien because they can dominate production competition with it, it’s not a luxury firearm to them. $5000 isn’t a ton of money in the competition world. As mentioned, many are as much or considerably more.

TunnelRat

I don't quite understand why the word luxury bothers you so much. I feel like my comments have been fairly even handed and in no way have I attempted to condemn you for making this purchase. As you said, agree to disagree.

bac1023

I don't quite understand why the word luxury bothers you so much. I feel like my comments have been fairly even handed and in no way have I attempted to condemn you for making this purchase. As you said, agree to disagree.

I hear you. I'm just trying to find out why you think its a luxury firearm is all. I'm tired of the stereotype of a gun being expensive and therefore not necessary, when a $500 Glock may seem more expensive to some than a $5000 Alien does to others. Where is the cut off?

Here's my Atlas Hyperion. It has no pretty finish and isn't at all flashy. Its built for one thing only, Limited competition. Its a thoroughbred and built to be the best Limited 9mm pistol in the world. It cost more than even the Alien. However, I don't see it as a luxury firearm. Its a pistol built for serious hard use and literally hundreds of thousands of round.

These are my idea of luxury firearms. These Korths aren't built for any particular purpose other than to be extremely nice. They are way too heavy for carry and not trimmed properly for any competition whatsoever. The blued finish is to look nice rather than be durable and the ergonomics are an afterthought. But they are damn nice. These are luxury handguns.

TunnelRat

Seeing as you want more explanation, relative to median income a $5000 pistol is more of a luxury purchase than a $500 pistol, or put another way one is a luxury purchase to more people than the other. One is ten times the price of the other, so the previous point should be relatively obvious.

That said, to some people a Glock is indeed a luxury purchase (I already said luxury is relative) and that person might be just as well off with a Taurus. I have no problem with someone buying a Taurus. Just because something isn’t necessary and is a luxury doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be purchased or that people should feel bad for purchasing it, I’ve clearly said as much up to now. That doesn’t mean, however, that the purchase isn’t a luxury to other people. I have no issue with someone calling my Glock a luxury purchase. The term doesn’t bother me.

I hope that clears things up. As I said originally, I look forward to a range report.

44 AMP

Staff
An M3 is a purpose built automobile.

An M3 what???

in my world, an M3 is a WWII SMG (the Greasgun) or a WWII tank (Lee/Grant).

I little more info would make things much clearer...:D

9mm pistols have proven to be the most valuable semi autos. Most high end pistols that have gone through the roof in value and price are 9mm.

Actually nothing else really comes close.

Everyone has different priorities and opinions. 9mm pistols aren't the most valuable to me. And I would suggest that those high end pistols that have gone through the roof have done so for some reasons other than being chambered in 9mm Luger.

The most "Expensive" pistol I know of is the .45acp Luger, the surviving example was insured for a Million dollars over a decade ago, probably worth more now...

The Alien is novel, looks like a refinement of several different ideas in one platform. If you've got the scratch, scratch the itch. I don't, I already have several 9mms and I need to eat and keep the lights on for the next few months. :D

Warhammer

The Alien is definitely a cool gun. Honestly, I see some features that have been standard feature on .22LR handguns for years. The low-axis, fixed barrel reminds my of my S&W 622 from 1992. And the slide that reciprocates independent of the upper portion of the gun is reminiscent of Browning Buckmarks and several other 22 autos. A gun with a fixed barrel is inherently more accurate and precise than one that move with ever cycle and has sights attached to a different moving part of the gun. The low bore axis results in less muzzle flip and a more straight-back recoil push. I don't know if Laugo was the first to think of incorporating these ideas into a 9mm or just the first to figure out the engineering of how to do it with a more powerful cartridge than .22LR. Either way, it's a darn cool gun and seems to do exactly what was intended. I'd love to see these feature in more of an "every day" pistol than the current "race gun" that the Alien is.

Skans

Looks like a striker fired pistol, but it was marketed as having a hammer? I generally like the innovation of the gun, but the one thing I don't like, in fact REALLY HATE, is the stupid Trigger Dingus. Why, why, why did they have to incorporate a trigger dingus?

TunnelRat

Looks like a striker fired pistol, but it was marketed as having a hammer? I generally like the innovation of the gun, but the one thing I don't like, in fact REALLY HATE, is the stupid Trigger Dingus. Why, why, why did they have to incorporate a trigger dingus?

Why not? It’s a simple way to incorporate a drop safety to prevent momentum from driving the trigger to the rear. Ask the folks at SIG Sauer how well it worked going a different route (and yes I’m aware that Walther has their own method on the P99 and others use articulated triggers).

Last edited:

bac1023

The Alien needs a trigger safety. It’s the only active safety it has a very short and fairly light trigger pull. There’s no way it would be a safe handgun otherwise.

Pistoler0

It's pretty and cool, and fancy and probably very accurate.

I'd start considering saving for it if the price was halved, and it came in God's caliber.

---------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I came back after posting and took another look at the photos of your pistol, and I have to say that I LOVE your new pistol. I hope you enjoy it. I would totally buy one if I could.

Last edited: