Laser-cast Bullets Opinions

celtgun

Have 158 gr SWC Laser Cast (Oregon Bulllets) on order. Anyone having experiance with them please post.

"The love of violence is inherent in the human (male) spirit. The attempt to train it out of boys is both futile and immoral."
Chairman Cooper

mtnbkr

I use their 240gr SWC-BB bullet for my "light" 44mag loads (closer to 44special). They're as accurate as I can be and don't lead at all. I haven't used any of their other offerings.

Chris

QBall45

I've used 1 box of laser cast bullets in my 45acp. I had no issues.

I've also tried 2 other brands of cast bullets. Can't remember the brands. These were a non issue as well.

Now, I cast my own hard cast bullets from wheel weights w/some tin added.

Gotta love shootin hard cast lead.

Sevens

In the very little experience I have with them, I found them to be very well built, nice attention to detail and very HARD. I also found them to be horribly over priced and I'm happier sticking with a smaller caster for my bullets.

I go with www.dardascastbullets.com

mtnbkr

$53 shipped vs $66 shipped. Though by the time I shoot through the Oregon Trail bullets I have, my I'll be fully up to speed on casting my own.

Chris

mkl

I've used them in my 45-70 and in my 45 Colt. No complaints. They are very hard, but did not lead in either gun.

The quality is there, but so is the price. I have used bullets from Missouri Bullet Company that perform just as well, but are easier on the pocket book. I ordered another 1500 from Missouri Bullet today.

CraigC

Good stuff but agree they're overpriced. Glad I found a local caster and can get them at $67 per 1000.

abber

They smoked like crazy in my 44. Kind of embarrasing at the indoor range. They asked me what I was shooting as I was leaving, cause they had to crank up the exhaust blower. We were all laughing about it, but I gave the rest of my stock away to my brother to re-cast.

LHB1

Quote: "They smoked like crazy in my 44."

The smoke was most likely from the lube used on the cast bullets. Some lubes smoke more than others.

That and the .44's will probably be lubed heavily for magnum velocities. If you fire them slow, there it too much lube and not enough heat to burn it off. Simply setting them in mineral spirits will remove the lube. Then you can dilute some Lee Liquid Alox or White Label Xlox in mineral spirits to get a thinner lube layer, and apply that.

It used to be common practice to buy molds for bullets with two smaller lube grooves rather than one large one, then to set up the lubrisizer to lube only the bottom groove if the bullets were to be fired at target velocities.

I just ordered a box of 50 430 grain gas check Laser Cast for my 45-70 tests ( 3 rifles & a 14" Contender I'll be doing up loads for this winter ) since the ones I ordered are gas checked, they'll be for hotter loads in my guide gun & Martini safari single shot...

I like the look of the Bullets ( in 45-70 ) that SEVENS posted the link to, so I'll probably include them in the tests for more sane loads for my double rifle, & my Contender...

I've heard that some of these very hard cast bullets often break at the canalure groove, when hitting big bones on dangerous game... so I may have to do some penitration tests after I get a couple bullets I like, to make sure they are not too brittle ( this is a quote from the comments on a similar "Cast Performance" bullet )

I have used the 420 gr Cast Performance on Cape Buffalo with mixed results. On the 420 the meplat is so broad that it tends to shear off, thereby reducing penetration and weight retention.

yet this same person had great results with the 460 grain bullet of the same brand... so velocity, hardness, & bullet design all seem to effect how the4 bullet performs

azredhawk44

They have silver in them.

Do very well against werewolves.;)

J/K.

In all seriousness, I like 'em, but I can get other stuff I like just as much for cheaper. I favor Mastercast for my blasting loads, and I use Precision Cast or Beartooth when I really need a hard, dense bullet with a gas check to get driven fast as possible.

Peter M. Eick

I shoot a lot of them. Especially the 158 SWC's. I think I burn through around 10,000 of them a year give or take. Mostly in my 38/44's and 357 magnums. I switched over teo them from JHP's because they are cheaper and hard to drive to the point of leading. I was using them in my 357 Maximum's, but you can push them too fast there and start to get some leading.

Basically they are a very hard, well lubed bullet. They should be though of more as JHP/FMJ replacements and not so much as a lead bullet.

They are accurate also!

That'll Do

I've used Lasercast's 158gr SWC in 357 before, and it's a good bullet.

However, I can get 1000 158gr SWC from Dardas Cast Bullets for $57, which is what 500 of the Laser Cast bullets cost. Because of that, I stick with Dardas bullets, not to mention the fact that they're top notch bullets. They also offer custom sizing options too.

Mal H

Staff
I use L-C bullets in several calibers and weights. No complaints at all with them - quality is excellent as is their customer service. UPS screwed up a delivery one time and Oregon Trails made it good immediately even though they were blameless.

zxcvbob

I've used them. I think I still have a box of their 158 grain RNFP's around here somewhere and a few 255 grain .45's. They are very good bullets but overpriced. I quit buying them and started casting my own for the most part, and buying some calibers that I don't cast yet from mastercastbullets.com His are just as good as LC but cheaper. Mine aren't quite there yet, but I'm having fun and getting better :)

I recieved my bullets from Midway today, which were supposed to be Laser Cast for my 45-70...

the bullets I recieved are marked True Shot "premium silver alloy bullets" from Oregon Trail...

are these now the same ??? anyone know ???

zxcvbob

They are probably the same thing. LaserCast are made by Oregon Trails, and they make a big deal about containing Ag.

mtnbkr

Where do they say the bullets contain silver? They call them "silver bullets", but make no claims that they contain actual silver.

Chris