Laser and/or light and/or night sights?

On this matter, I won't say what I think you should do. I'll say what I do.

Night sights and a weapon mounted light along with a handheld light. Not everything deserves to have a gun pointed at it when it just needs illumination.

I've never been big on lasers. I understand they're a great training tool and that they're great for people with vision problems, though.

Blackbook

On this matter, I won't say what I think you should do. I'll say what I do.

Night sights and a weapon mounted light along with a handheld light. Not everything deserves to have a gun pointed at it when it just needs illumination.

I've never been big on lasers. I understand they're a great training tool and that they're great for people with vision problems, though.
Well you're not supposed to use a gun light as your primary illumination source anyway.

The point of having a gun mounted light is to keep a 2-handed grip while illuminating something you would otherwise be pointing your gun at anyway.

turkeestalker

Well you're not supposed to use a gun light as your primary illumination source anyway.
The point of having a gun mounted light is to keep a 2-handed grip while illuminating something you would otherwise be pointing your gun at anyway.
I'm pretty sure that's more or less what Constantine just said.

I would suggest that you practice shooting one handed as well as off handed so that you're somewhat prepared for when you're possibly not able to keep a 2-handed grip... just in case.

Pond James Pond

Not everything deserves to have a gun pointed at it when it just needs illumination.

I don't know if this is a common design feature, but the light I bought recently has a very bright central beam, where the muzzle would be pointing, but also throws light out at a relatively wide angle.

Whilst not as bright, by pointing the muzzle at the ground 6ft or so ahead of me, I am still able to illuminate what is down the end of the hall well enough to see who or what it is. For me that means adequate illumination for identification without the risk of sweeping.

For me, the fewer things to hold, forget to take, drop etc the better.

Last edited:

Mannlicher

I like a white light on my HD pistol, and use a Surefire X300 on my Springfield 1911A-1. I also have tritium sights on the pistol.
The Springfield does double duty as a HD weapon, and as my primary self defense pistol when camping. works really well on a night hog hunt also.

I'm pretty sure that's more or less what Constantine just said.

I would suggest that you practice shooting one handed as well as off handed so that you're somewhat prepared for when you're possibly not able to keep a 2-handed grip... just in case.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

Then you and I have a very different perspective and do not comprehend what we read quite the same. Viva la difference!

turkeestalker's right, that is exctly what I said.
Comprehension differs between us and you Blackbook. But, majority rule.

shafter

I don't know if this is a common design feature, but the light I bought recently has a very bright central beam, where the muzzle would be pointing, but also throws light out at a relatively wide angle.

Whilst not as bright, by pointing the muzzle at the ground 6ft or so ahead of me, I am still able to illuminate what is down the end of the hall well enough to see who or what it is. For me that means adequate illumination for identification without the risk of sweeping.

This is an excellent point and it's quite true.

High lumen LED lights will light an entire room sufficiently to identify a threat no matter where the light is pointed.

I carry a Streamlight Stinger on my duty belt and a lot of the time just tapping the tailcap without removing the light from my belt is enough to see what I'm doing.

g.willikers

Since flashlights can fail at the dangest times, it's good tactics to have a backup light, especially in addition to a weapon mounted one.
If that one fails, it's impossible to replace it in the middle of a situation.
And the easiest backup to have is the handheld version.
So, knowing the handheld light techniques is still important, even if the main light is weapon mounted.

Blackbook

Since flashlights can fail at the dangest times, it's good tactics to have a backup light, especially in addition to a weapon mounted one.
If that one fails, it's impossible to replace it in the middle of a situation.
And the easiest backup to have is the handheld version.
The hand held is the primary, not the back up.

g.willikers

One clever fellow I knew attached magnets to his flashlights.
Then, if needed, a failed weapon mounted light could be augmented quickly.
Just a thought.

2damnold4this

There are many times when a flashlight is needed that a firearm is not. I like rburch's plan of having a hand held on a lanyard for searching. A long gun probably needs a light more than a handgun but a hand held light is a must.

Even with a light, sights need to work in the dark. Night sights, red dots, ACOGs, etc. all could work.

Onward Allusion

Interesting...

Strictly talking close quarters . . . hallways, corners, even in a smaller room . . .

One probably wouldn't be using iron sights (night or plain). Can y'all imagine extending your arms to use the sights? Heck of a way to lose your gun in close quarters. Like Bill D said - learn to point shoot. A laser does help with the process. It isn't a gimmick. It's a tool. One of many.

2damnold4this

Being in the dark, inside a home, isn't a guarantee that any shots will be fired at contact distance. It's my opinion that some sort of sighting device that works in all lighting conditions is a valuable asset for a home defense or concealed carry firearm.

My advice would be to take a course in low light shooting or try shooting a POST night qualification.

g.willikers

The world is quite different after the sun goes down.
In some places even the self defense laws change then.
A training experience in low light is quite an eye opener.
Although they can be hard to find.
Self practice either in the dark or while wearing gas welding goggles works, too.
Using airsoft guns at home is also a good way to gain experience.