LaRue's MBT Trigger on Sale for $87 Through Christmas

stagpanther

Mine came in today--when I first opened the shipping box I was immediately impressed by the slick packaging of the trigger--A packaged thong from Victoria's Secret would be hard pressed to compare.:)

Parts are very well made--I like the extra width of contact surfaces and the fact that LaRue has thoughtfully included the trigger and hammer pins--in addition to a heavier trigger spring should you want more pull to get the break.

I decided to give it the "acid test" and swap out the adjustable JP trigger on my 224 valk build which is a single stage presently conservatively set at 4lbs pull.

LaRue says that their trigger has a 2.5 lb first stage and 2 lb second--my measurements seem to indicate the opposite--more like 2 lb first and an additional 2.5 lb second to break. This probably doesn't mean much in the bigger scheme of things--though my purely subjective preference is that a good two stage has a noticeably defined build-up in pressure to the wall of the second stage break--and getting that break with just a slight extra pull minimizing any induced movement by the shooter. Otherwise the first stage to me feels just like a smooth take-up to break in a good single stage trigger.

Haven't fired it yet--so my impressions may change. A Geissele or CMC it's not. based on first impressions--but at it's price point definitely well-worth it (assuming it works for live fire, which I'm sure it will).

ed308

Haven't fired it yet--so my impressions may change. A Geissele or CMC it's not. based on first impressions--but at it's price point definitely well-worth it (assuming it works for live fire, which I'm sure it will).

I like them as much as a Geissele SSA. Almost a no brainer based on cost. But I like Geissele's 1 lb pull on the SSA-E for a bench AR. I just wish they were cheaper.

zukiphile

stagpanther said:
LaRue says that their trigger has a 2.5 lb first stage and 2 lb second--my measurements seem to indicate the opposite--more like 2 lb first and an additional 2.5 lb second to break. This probably doesn't mean much in the bigger scheme of things--though my purely subjective preference is that a good two stage has a noticeably defined build-up in pressure to the wall of the second stage break--and getting that break with just a slight extra pull minimizing any induced movement by the shooter. Otherwise the first stage to me feels just like a smooth take-up to break in a good single stage trigger.

Agreed. Rock River varmint triggers accomplish this.

The Larue first stage is too light. I tried fixing that with the heavier trigger spring, but found the poundage at the break undesirable, in part because the shape of the trigger is optimised for engaging with the very tip of the trigger finger. Reviews note that users don't have the light strike problem some experience with their Geisselle units. There is a reason for that; the Larue hammer spring is a brute.

I use the light trigger spring and a reduced power hammer spring and I polished the second stage hook surface. The total poundage several thousand rounds later is 2.5 pounds.

Ordered my LaRue on 7/12 and received in its cute little tin today on 8/1. Switched out a 7lb milspec trigger on a precision AR and it now measures at 4 lbs...2 and 2. Can’t wait to shoot it this weekend.