Large Caliber for Carry

SuckLead

Smith & Wesson makes a real nice, light weight .44 mag. I'm not sure if your hand would remain attached after firing the thing off, but it is a decent option for carry in the woods as it is so light you almost can't feel the thing. You also have the option of the 460 or the 500 with the 2" barrel. I'm not sure if the 460 comes in a 4" version yet, but the 500 does, so that's another option as well. You've also got the Ruger Alaskan in 454 and 44.

kickshot85

My vote would go towards either a 44 magnum or a 454. Personally, I'd go with the 454, but that is just because I've been eyeing one for quite some time. Seriously consider your options, get what feels comfortable and what you can shoot quickly enough to make the follow-up shots (because you'll need them on a charging mama-moose). Another plus, both of these calibers can shoot less expensive, less powerful loads that make them a pure joy to shoot. And either can be found in a reasonably sized pakage that would make carrying simple.

pesta2

If you never shot anything above a .45 ACP then you might want to go and try a few out at a range or barrow a friend’s to try before you buy one. For the big Revolvers of 44 mag and above recoil gets stiff and you might want to stick with a 44 mag after shooting a .454 or a .475, or .50 class handgun.

tex45acp

Well...if you are wanting a non-revolver large caliber gun for protection in the woods...here is the answer to your question.

Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .50AE

DE_MattBlack.jpg

jben

It's interesting that nowdays a 44 magnum does not seem like a "large caliber." After having gone through this myself, and after having had a 454, I think a heavily loaded 44 mag is enough for 99% of what might be encountered in the outdoors. I left myself that 1% for those rare instances that it is not. By heavily loaded, as others have stated, some of the Buffalo Bore loads come to mind. Also some great loads are from Garrett cartridges. His Hammerhead designs in the 44 mag are tough to beat. They are accurate, well constructed, and very hard hitting. I traded the 454 on a 44 mag Alaskan, and like it alot. I think it will do the job for "most" needs. jben

dairycreek

I have been a handgun hunter for nearly thirty years and have taken deer, elk, and a misguided moose in Montana. All with a handgun. The key to bringing down a big animal with a handgun lies in the choice of ammo. I prefer a 44 magnum with a hardcast bullet such as those offered by Garrett. I have also used handloaded rounds with hard cast bullets in a 45 Long Colt which, with the right gun and ammunition, is really excellent on large game too. And, finally, the 454 Casull (again with the right ammo) will deal with large animals effectively. So, remember, not just the caliber but also the ammo in the gun make the difference.

hmmm... as one who generally likes the abuse of a handcannon, I've been drooling over the "Alaska" guns since before they came out... & likely my next hand cannon purchase will be a BFR in 45-70... but...

I have a 44 Mag Dan Wesson custom 1.5" snubbie with a 0.5" single chamber compensator, & it's just as easy to carry as any gun I own ( OK, with exception to my NAA Mini revolver )... & again with the right bullets, would be as good a gun to use as any... I'd think any good quality 4" 44 mag revolver ith the right bullet selection would be more than adiquate unless subconsiously you've been wanting one of the new "BIGGER" revolvers

I also own a 50 A.E. though mine is an Automag 5, which is recoil operated rather than gas operated as the Desert Eagle is... the bullet selection in factory 50 A.E. loads would be questionable for bigger bear or momma moose, & the heavier cast bullets should not be usede in a gas operated system I.E. the Desert Eagle... my AM -5 has been very reliable, but would probably be tougher to buy right now... the L.A.R. Grizzly was a beefy 1911 style auto chambered for 50 A.E.

... I'm not sure if they are still available or not, but believe they were recoil operated, so could use a more beastly bullet than the D.E. & might be in a format you'd be more familiar with ( which i very important in "that" type of situation )

MaineMan

I've been tromping the back woods of Maine for 50 years now from hunting, working on firetowers and just plain roaming. I have had bear encounters and generally they just run from you. One old game warden once told me that most bear "attacks" happen when the bear senses something and just runs in the direction he's pointing. If you are in the way you think it's an attack. Now as for firearms. I carried mostly a .357 magnum or a .44 and while I have not had to shoot a bear with either I have been in company of those who have. Stopping power is a myth spread by those who want to sell you the latest 500 Whiz Bang Super Dreadnaught Magnum. Bullet placement is the key. One well placed .357 magnum will anchor most game found in Maine, unless an elephant or tiger breaks loose from the circus and rampages the Rangley lakes region. Eight or ten poorly placed 500's or 454's will simple irritate Mr. Bruin enough to want to exact a purposeful revenge upon your flatland hide. So make sure you know where the animals vitals lay in relation to the mass of fur standing before you and that you can cooly put a bullet where the most damage to the vitals will occur.
You also might want to check and see if that "local guide" either has a gun shop and sells those 500 WBSDMagnums or if he's a docent guide to the local Tourist Trap Salt & Pepper Dust Catcher Museum.

Travismaine

You also have to remember that you are going to have to carry this gun with you all day. My ruger blackhawk has killed a bear a year for the last 8 years and it not to heavy to carry all day long. I have a Desert eagle in .44 and I would not want to carry that all day.

AKGunner

I'm a former Mainer. Actually I still think of myself as a Mainer. I guess I always will. I spent the first 21 years of my life there. Dad was a forester in a mill town and I did forest cruising and surveying all over the woods of New England during my high school and college years.

I saw my share of moose and black bears. Scratch that. I SAW my share of moose. I HEARD black bears alot in the woods. Why? Because they all ran away when they heard us coming. We could see their sign, but very rarely the bear itself.

With that said I think a 44 mag would be plenty for the odd, wacko black bear. For up here in Alaska we have brown/grizzly bears. I've seen black bears run from them like a frightened rabbit. The 44 mag is generally thought of as a bare minimum for brown bears. Many people I know that have recently purchased a weopon for bear protection have bought the s&w 500.

If you are still thinking about a 500 I'd find one to shoot first. I shot one the other day and I didn't like the experience at all. I still may purchase one, but it will be for bear protection and needed practice only.

have fun.

cheygriz

Anything that you can't stop with a .44 magnum loaded with 310 grain cast, flat nosed wheelweight bullets at 1100-1150 FPS, or a .45 Colt loaded with 325 grain cast flatpoints at 900-950 FPS won't be stopped by ANY handgun.