Large Caliber for Carry

Tanzer

I'm no newbie to firearms in general. I hold CC permits in four New England states, and I've fired most everything .45 cal and down. However, I own 42 acres of land deep in the western mountains of Maine, where the wildlife is BIG. I'm aware that anything I own would be inadequate or at least borderline so in stopping an animal attack, so I'm thinking of getting a big SOB to carry when on my land. I know I could carry a shotgun or large caliber rifle, but that sort of takes the enjoyment out of a walk in the woods, and guests can't help but feel uneasy while I tote a long gun ("Here, Sis, hold this while I jump the stream").
My question is this; Can anyone help narrow my search? I have no experience with the .50 cals. I basically want a hand-cannon that is reliable and hopefully weighs less than a bowling ball. I don't usually go for wheel guns, but I'm most interested in the prime objective - pull the trigger and BOOM! attacker goes to bear heaven or wherever.
Some would say a .44 magnum is enough, but a local guide doesn't think so, and I'm thinking big. Any suggestions from those who've used these big boys, would they have penetration/shock power significantly superior to the magnum, or would I be wasting money?
Thanks in advance, Steve

CarbineCaleb

No matter what you get - if you are expecting a 1-shot stop, I think there's no assurance of that, even if you're using a .500 S&W or a .45-70 BFR.

Personally, I don't think there's any advantage in anything above a .44 magnum. They have been used on everything in North America, even polar bear. Black bear are only half that size.

Bigger calibers will just make for a heavier load to carry around and a harder to handle, slower to shoot recoil.

geez768

for pure stopping power, i think its hard to beat the 500mag for factory loads. but i dont think the 44mag is bad either. people hunt those same bears with it so i guess it will stop em. plus the 44mag will be lighter to carry. (a 72oz handgun will get heavy after a while)

Travismaine

As a Mainer I can tell you a .44 is fine. A .45 also would be fine your not hunting with it it is going to be a defensive gun from what you said so the .45 would be my choice. You want something you wont mind luging around with you all day and you also want something you can get out and shoot fast. I have shot a bear every year for the past 8 years with a .44 and never have a problem all shots where under 20 feet though.

A while back I had a Ruger Super-Redhawk in .454 that was quite comforting to have along while out in the deep woods. I was eventually able to find a shoulder holster to fit the long-barreled beast, but the new shorter versions of the same pistol would probably be more handy. I don't know if they make a mid-length barrel now, but the Alaskan seems a little short and the original 7 and 1/2" barrel was a little too long for my taste.

Case extraction would get a little sticky with the heaviest CorBon loads, but other than that I had no problems at all with mine. I wish I still had it.

I don't think there is any animal in Maine that a 44 Mag. could not handle. For walks in the woods or as a second gun hunting I carry a 45 colt chambered 4inch S&W mountain gun. Go to the sixgunner forum and read the artical by John Linebough.
Best Wishes
James

T. O'Heir

"...pure stopping power..." There's no such thing.
Got lots of money? A Desert Eagle in .50 AE has a MSRP of $1369(in .44 mag it's only a grand. Both a friggin' huge pistols too.). A Smith M500 in .500 S&W mag, $1256. A Super Redhawk in .454(.45 Colt works in it) or .480 Ruger lists at only $860. The ammo for all of 'em is horrendously expensive. The .50AE runs $30 per 20. The .454 starts at $22 per 20. The .480 starts at $21 per 20. The .500 S&W starts at $47ish.
That "guide' is nuts or knows nothing about handguns. There's nothing in Maine that needs a handgun round that big. Certainly nothing on four legs. Anything on four legs is not going to bother you.
Mind you, for humour's sake, buy whichever one fits your hand.

banditt007

"The 44 mag will be fine if you put the right bullets in it. A heavy hardcast lead solid should do it."

agreed. Dont forget shotplacement. that has more of an effect than anythign else.

Tanzer

Thanks

I appreciate the input. I was never really thinking one shot stop. I'm pretty woodsy, but my big fear is that a niece/nephew or other guest may run from a bear and trigger its chase instinct ( Some of my in-laws are sissies ) In fact, I hope never to use firepower as I'm not a hunter. I know about shot placement, but I'm worried that the target may be moving across my sight rather than approaching, and that adds in the "what's beyond the target" factor. Ergo, the fewer shots the better. BTW, the guide is no dummy. Moose in rutting season are pretty nasty. One went head to head with a pickup truck not far from my place last October.
Regards.

FirstFreedom

I would think that feral dogs and mama meese with fawns are the most dangerous things there...perhaps a puma. Black bears run away from man at first sight or smell. A mad mama moose might concern me though, if you surprise her. Still, .44 mag is plenty and a great choice. But, to answer your question, yes, the .500 S&W mag or the .454 casull have *significantly* more oomph than .44 mag, which may or may not translate to more stopping power. The .50 AE has a bit more oomph than .44 mag, but not too terribly much. The .50 GI has less, but is in a smaller, lighter, more manageable package. Suggest moving this to general handgun forum.

Slideman

I have shot a bear every year for the past 8 years with a .44 and never have a problem

Gee maybe you ought to switch to a .500 and finish him off.

(Okay, I have a perverse sense of humor)

I'll place another vote for .44 being plenty and more comfortable to carry than the bigger cannons. But there is more to the decision than "what is enough" and that is something a whole lot of us understand: Wanting a new/different gun and working the reasons around to where we can bring ourselves to buy it. With a nice new .500 hanging from your shoulder rig, you will be grinning and whistling as you carry it wherever you go... and it will flat vaporize those squrrels whose chattering is bugging you.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
I'm with the others here. A .44 is enough of a gun (depending upon the load) to drop anything you might encounter in North America.

Moving to General Handguns, where you will get some good answers.

kcshooter

Moose in rutting season are pretty nasty. One went head to head with a pickup truck not far from my place last October.

Who won?

Ok, I know its repetitive but I'd have a .44 as a woodsman's sidearm too. But only because I don't own a .454 casull.
Great, now I just talked myself into another d@mn gun...

RT

500 Es

S&W 500 ES
It even comes with a Jet Scream™ whistle ;) if you need to make some noise.

Attachments

• 500es.jpg
    500es.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 48