Korth Video

shortwave

Thanks, yes those are both mine...

To answer your question, I'm not sure I ever saw a Korth Combat with a half lug. The older Korth revolvers had no barrel shroud at all

Again, (after cleaning the slobber off of my keyboard) two very beautiful pistols and Thanks for sharing them as well as your response.

lifesizepotato

shortwave said:
Does Korth make a revolver similar to the above with a half lug?

They did. Some of the older guns, after the first ones with an exposed ejector rod, had a half-lug as shown below:

zM88J6X.jpg

I don't think the Combat models ever did, though.

Most of their 22s also have half-lugs.

They truly are stunning works of art, and superb performers at the range to boot.

Rad5OEi.jpg

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
What system does the 9mm autoloader use for barrel lock/unlock?
It was a Korth proprietary system. Not really like anything else I'm aware of. I guess you could make the case that it bears some rough similarities to the locking block arrangement used in the Walther P38 and the Beretta 92.

Here's the U.S. patent page which has some figures showing the internal parts relationship.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4589326

Model12Win

The "Combat" model is a bit of a misnomer I think.

Sure it probably would make a good fighting revolver, no doubt about that... but who in the world is REALLY going to be toting one of these around as a duty gun? It's essentially the equivalent of strapping the monetary worth of a new SUV to your hip when guns costing well under 10X less will be able to get the job done just fine.

I would be sincerely surprised if ANY Korth revolvers will ever be used in an actual gun battle.

bac1023

What system does the 9mm autoloader use for barrel lock/unlock?
It uses a form of a falling block, but like the revolver, its not heavily based on anything else.

Korth has always marched to its own drummer. They are extremely well crafted. :cool:

dgludwig

I can't understand a single word,

You don't have to be fluent in a foreign language to keep hearing and understanding the same word said over and over again in that video: "EXPENSIVE!"

But, seriously, Korth makes some of the nicest looking and well-made handguns ever made. Too bad you have to be a king to own one-well, bac1023 does own more than one. Great photos of some really pretty pistols, your Highness. :D

As to the supposed "exclusivity" of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA), I'm a "down to earth, regular person" who's been a long-time member of this gun collector aficionados organization that also has a long history of gun rights advocacy. The OGCA is no more or less exclusive than the National Rifle Association is-both organizations require a dues paying membership and not everybody is invited to the party.

Ruger480

There is one Korth 357 stainless for sale right now on gunbroker. The sale ends today (26 Jan). Starting bid is 7,500.00
Ready, go!

Dragline45

While I don't doubt they are well built quality guns, what will a Korth do that a S&W revolver with an action job wont? Seems to me that even a heavily modified S&W will cost you about $6000+ less.

Sevens

The Ferrari and Lamborghini guys have heard the same argument about the Corvette or the top-drawer Mustang...

bac1023

While I don't doubt they are well built quality guns, what will a Korth do that a S&W revolver with an action job wont? Seems to me that even a heavily modified S&W will cost you about $6000+ less.

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to post something like this. It happens in every Korth thread sooner or later.

Its the same reason why people buy ultra high end cars instead of just buying a dime a dozen Camaro and hopping it up. Its because they want the best and they have the means to obtain it.

By the way, I own dozens of S&W revolvers from every vintage over the last 100 years. I'm a HUGE S&W fan and I love all of them. However, they are not Korths in any way, shape, or form. An action job won't make it so.

Korth firearms are not for everybody and I think owners like that exclusivity...

HKFan9

Their revolvers don't interest me in the slightest, even if I had the money... then again I am not a revolver guy.

That semi on the other hand, looks nice, however I could settle for a Sig P210 or a few of them for the price.:rolleyes:

I am certainly envious of the semi.

Dragline45

Its the same reason why people buy ultra high end cars instead of just buying a dime a dozen Camaro and hopping it up. Its because they want the best and they have the means to obtain it.

I can appreciate that, not everyone has the same needs, likes, or wants. Personally, I consider myself utilitarian, so even if I had the means, high end sports cars or guns wouldn't really interest me. It's kind of like how Conan O'brien regardless of being a multimillionaire continued to drive around his old Ford Taurus, despite being able to afford a garage full of Lamborghini's.

But like I said before, is the Korth really capable of doing anything a nice tuned S&W cant? Probably not. But hey, I think people who spend thousands on art are crazy too, and in many ways a Korth revolver can be looked at as art due to what goes into them, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

lifesizepotato

bac1023 said:
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to post something like this. It happens in every Korth thread sooner or later.

By the way, I own dozens of S&W revolvers from every vintage over the last 100 years. I'm a HUGE S&W fan and I love all of them. However, they are not Korths in any way, shape, or form. An action job won't make it so.

Korth firearms are not for everybody and I think owners like that exclusivity...

Well put. I might copy/paste that to a text file to be reposted next time someone asks. ;)

Dragline45 said:
I can appreciate that, not everyone has the same needs, likes, or wants. Personally, I consider myself utilitarian, so even if I had the means, high end sports cars or guns wouldn't really interest me. It's kind of like how Conan O'brien regardless of being a multimillionaire continued to drive around his old Ford Taurus, despite being able to afford a garage full of Lamborghini's.

But like I said before, is the Korth really capable of doing anything a nice tuned S&W cant? Probably not. But hey, I think people who spend thousands on art are crazy too, and in many ways a Korth revolver can be looked at as art due to what goes into them, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

As far as putting tightly grouped holes in paper at the range goes, yes, a nicely tuned Smith will do the job. But, like bac said, for me and many others there's a lot more to appreciate with a fine firearm and most Smiths just aren't up to that task.

Even if you're not a car guy, is there no other hobby of yours where, given unlimited funds (you won a $300 million Powerball), you'd see yourself paying a bit extra to have the "best of the best"?

Dragline45

Even if you're not a car guy, is there no other hobby of yours where, given unlimited funds (you won a $300 million Powerball), you'd see yourself paying a bit extra to have the "best of the best"?

Honestly, no. While I would certainly buy nice things, I didn't grow up demanding the best of the best. Winning all that money wouldn't change that. While I do appreciate quality, and even now I will spend extra for it, there gets to a point where I cant justify spending extra on certain things if I am not gaining much and it gives me no more practical use.

Here is a perfect example, assuming I just hit the $300 million powerball.

I want to buy a nice muscle car.

Car A is a beautifully restored GTO with all original parts for $40,000.

Car B is also a beautifully restored GTO with all original parts. Except this one is a limited run, only X amount were made, only X amount are left in existence, and because of it it costs $150,000.

Given the restoration job on both is on par, and performance wise both are on par, and I think both look equally as good, I would take the $40,000 one. It does nothing for me personally to own the super rare limited edition one, so because of that I wouldn't pay the extra money for it, even if I had it. Like I said before, I consider myself a utilitarian.

Last edited:

UncleEd

Now that the revolver has been taken care of,

check out the new Korth 1911.

If you do a search for Korth 1911 you'll find it.

Talked to a dealer just a few days ago and he's ordering one for a good customer. Only 10 coming into the US this year.

As to those who can't believe the Korth revolver was ever used as a defensive arm, my understanding is that some special German police units have them.

And while we're on European revolvers, check out the MR73 from France, a really superb sixshooter. A French movie is actually named after the revolver.

Last edited: