Korth is here . . .

Skans

You mean as in style and looks compared to the classic korth looks or are these actually not as nice as regular korths? Just curious.

Yes, purely style and looks. Since I've never owned a Korth nor handled this Nighthawk, there's no way for me to make any other type of comparison.

KyJim

..and I wouldn't even trade the Baer for a Nighthawk..
Different strokes. :D I won't belabor the point because this is a revolver thread. I will admit that even if I were to spend the kind of money we're talking about here, I wouldn't want to beta test the guns at those prices.

SansSouci

I've never seen a Korth. What I've read has been positive.

I honestly don't know if the Korth premium is worth it when compared with a Model 27. The Model 27-2 is an excellent revolver. Those who are Python aficionados will opine identically. They're both excellent guns.

ms6852

Normally I would not mind paying a few thousand for a gun, but this gun is so ugly, that it is like going to a bar and picking the ugliest date you want to take home and pay for it.

KyJim

The Mongoose is a more traditional looking revolver. Take a look at it if you haven't already. Follow the link in my first post to Nighthawk's site.

michael t

Used to be look up ugly pistol got Glock

Now get this. No thanks not even for free .

Excuse I now much go wash my eyes out . Their still suffering from ugly shock :rolleyes:

UncleEd

The picture seems to show a model with a competition sleeve over the barrel and the top strap. The setup with the "sleeve" is not much different looking than a lot of PPC guns.

Skans

There are three reasons to own a Korth:

1. For its beauty;
2. For its ultra-tight custom revolver tolerances and precision;
3. Because it's a Korth made in Germany.

Perhaps Korth, being of German / European origin terribly misunderstands Americans who have $7,000 at their disposal to purchase a revolver. While there might be a segment of the gun-owning population in the US who likes "tacticool" guns, they are not high-end revolver folks.

Now, if you take that Nighthawk Korth and turn it into a semi-auto, make in in 44 magnum or 50AE, and finish it in gold with black tiger stripes - well, there you go, Korth might find a market for it.:D

bac1023

As an owner of multiple Korths, I don't see the appeal of these at all.

If you want a Korth, buy one. Who wants a watered down "Korth" with a Nighthawk logo on it?

clang

No wonder they are so expensive, what with all those extra features. Look, they have a built in cheese grater on the side of the barrel.

PzGren

This topic was discussed on a few other sites and I had posted some explanation on the S&W forum about Korth revolvers. I am a Korth collector but predominantly a shooter and appreciate the fine quality and longevity of Korth revolvers.

Here is an excerpt from my post:
"Korth built the first cartridge revolvers in 1964 to fill an order of the Hamburg port police but by the time he had the guns finished the police had already ordered .32 ACP pistols and the guns were liquidated on the civilian market.

The Korth action was refined over the years and needed from 1964 to 1969 to arrive at its peak with exchangeable rollers ontop of the trigger that changed DA let-off and also incorporating a screw that allowed the trigger weight to be adjusted from the outside.

I have Korth revolvers made in Ratzeburg, the town where Willi Korth started out manufacturing his finely finished revolvers and personally do not find an interest inthe current Korth product line. The Korth revolvers from Lollar share several advantages of the original Korth design, like the roller sear and chambers that got smoothened out by a roller being pushed into it and giving a glassy smooth finish that makes ejection of particularly rimfire cartridges a whole lot easier than on my 1952 vintage K-22.

The finish on the Korths from Ratzeburg is outstanding! Korth did not use a buffing wheel but sanding blocks and outsourced the bluing to a nearby company in Hamburg, the hardening was outsourced to the same company that does the hardening for SIG Sauer. Eckernförde is not far away from Ratzeburg and in the basement of SIG Sauer is the proof house where Korth had the revolvers proofed."

There is a link in an earlier post here to the youtube video about a Korth revolver being tested and it has made some waves and is definitely educational but when I look at the trigger stop not being adjusted properly, I have some serious doubts about the author's comprehension and appreciation of Korth's advantages.

I have a background of shooting competitions successfully for accuracy and the much more interesting and less static action shooting disciplines and burned more money on ammo than guns.

I have been in the old Korth factory in Ratzeburg and at the new facility in Lollar. I love visiting gun factories - and breweries ;) - and a day at the range with my reloads and hard cast bullets. I prefer the old revolvers made in Ratzeburg between 1969 and 2008 but my favorite revolver - and I own a few - is a law enforcement trade-in S&W M 65 for fast and dirty shooting:). If I don't do well, I can always blame it on the gun ...

image_zpse6shoc0n.jpeg

johnson184

Tempted to put a deposit down on a 6" Mongoose. Really wish it came with wood grips!!! Also... how do you guys like DLC Black finish? Never owned a gun with such a finish before.

Looking at prices of wood grips, I'm wondering if I should just save up the extra $1500+ for a 6" Korth Sport instead.

50 shooter

It looks like it was made for a mall ninja, "yes, you too can put everything on your revolver including the kitchen sink"!

So they make a double action with a smooth trigger for that price and hang rails all over it?! Sorry, not on my dime.

Radny97

At that price a revolver should do the following things:

1. Have a double action trigger pull of under 7 pounds that is smooth as silk and reliably ignites all commercial ammunition.
2. Shoots Half inch groups at 25 yards consistently.
3. Is made from the finest materials and gleams like a jewel
4. Comes with a lifetime no questions asked no issues raised guarantee and warranty.

I don't think this revolver delivers on all of those and it is therefore overpriced.

HiDive

Korth Mongoose owner

I am, of course, only speaking for myself, but the Mongoose is well worth the price. It actually does deliver on the items that were mentioned. I currently own a S&W 629 V-Comp and have owned a 627 V-Comp as well as older and newer Colt Pythons. The Mongoose is a nicer Revolver and better built. When you look at the detail in the machining and fitting of the Revolver the Korth is much nicer. Every part is machined from billet tool steel, and hand fitted by a gunsmith in Germany. Nighthawk has very little to do with the Revolver other than importing it.

20200310_113914%20%281%29-XL.jpg