Korriphila HSP 701

lifesizepotato

745SW said:
A dual sided trigger bar, design, will have less flex than a single sided. Everything else being equal the dual will be stiffer.

There is absolutely and literally no flex. A dual bar design would not improve it, so the current design is not compromised outside of the academic hypotheticals you're trying to construct.

Walt Sherrill

745SW said:
A dual sided trigger bar, design, will have less flex than a single sided. Everything else being equal the dual will be stiffer.

But everything else won't be equal... And if the dual-sided trigger bar assembly is made from the same material, but is less thick than a single-sided trigger bar, why will the materials used in a dual-sided trigger bar be less likely to flex than a thicker single-sided trigger bar? The metal used in these applications isn't as flexible as you seem to suggest -- and gun designers DO understand what's needed.

Some guns have TWO hammer hooks (i.e.,two points of hammer/sear interface) while other designs use a slightly different approach and have a single point of hammer-sear contact. That one point of contact can be very narrow or very wide, depending on the design.

If there's only one point of hammer/sear contact, the trigger bar design seems less important than if there are two, because even if there IS flex in the trigger bar (not likely, given the materials used on most trigger bars) the sear and hammer are still going to move crisply, as they're kept precisely aligned by the sear assembly and the hammer assembly (how they are mounted) in the frame, and that doesn't allow the trigger bar to have much effect on alignment.
  • The gunsmiths at the U.S. Army's Marksmanship Unit have gotten great results with the Beretta M9, which has a single-sided trigger bar.
  • Wilson Combat seems to be doing a slightly less-involved civilian version of that type of tuning, now, on their Beretta, too.
  • The SIG P-210 has a single-sided trigger bar, and it's renowned for it's accuracy -- and long service life. It was designed as a SERVICE PISTOL!
  • The SIG X-Five and X-Six guns all have a single-sided trigger bars, and they are arguably as accurate as (or more accurate than) some of the best Bullseye 1911s. They also have a service pistol pedigree, but the X-series never were service pistols, per se.
  • And there are the many handguns BAC1023 has discussed (and done reviews of on other forums). Not all of them have two-sided trigger bars. All of them are outstanding performers; all of them have outstanding triggers!
For most of these top-performing guns, the trigger is only a PART of the mix that results in superior accuracy and performance. Special care in production and precision fit seem also critical parts of the mix.

Your intuitive knowledge of how guns work and your understanding of the materials and techniques needed to make a gun perform well doesn't really trump the demonstrated performance of the guns cited above.

Last edited:

bac1023

How does the HSP workmanship compare to Paul L of pistoldynamics.com?

Liebenberg makes an outstanding 1911, without doubt one of the best in the industry. I think refinement approaches and Korriphila and I think the fitting of the parts is probably about as good. Considering all Korriphila parts are machined from steel blocks, it's hard for much of any 1911 to compare in that regard.

While Paul has a unique flare that sets his guns apart from a standard 1911A1, the Korriphila is Budischowsky's own design. Again, it's hard for any 1911 to compete on that scale.

Hope this helps...

Rinspeed

Liebenberg makes an outstanding 1911, without doubt one of the best in the industry. I think refinement approaches and Korriphila and I think the fitting of the parts is probably about as good. Considering all Korriphila parts are machined from steel blocks, it's hard for much of any 1911 to compare in that regard.

While Paul has a unique flare that sets his guns apart from a standard 1911A1, the Korriphila is Budischowsky's own design. Again, it's hard for any 1911 to compete on that scale.

Hope this helps...

Pretty good answer Brian and after lusting after one of Paul's 1911s for quite a long time it really says something about the HSP. Especially knowing the level of your collection and having the privilege of checking out quite a few of them.

bac1023

Pretty good answer Brian and after lusting after one of Paul's 1911s for quite a long time it really says something about the HSP. Especially knowing the level of your collection and having the privilege of checking out quite a few of them.

Cool Jeff :cool:

Yeah, I really like the Korriphila.

745SW

I still can't get a roundabout idea of the feel of the HSP trigger. Compared to an older Colt Python how does it differ In SA and DA?

bac1023

I still can't get a roundabout idea of the feel of the HSP trigger. Compared to an older Colt Python how does it differ In SA and DA?

The trigger pull is much shorter. I also find it more precise than a Python's DA pull.

Comparing it to a revolver is apples and oranges though.

skizzums

I can't say I have ever seen another semi-auto offered in a frame machined from a solid block of Damascus steel. pretty cool.

745SW

I generally keep trigger pull weight stock. Lowering the pull can cause a number of issues. One issue being inconsistent pull weight. Paul L appears to make a high consistency pull.

bac1023

I generally keep trigger pull weight stock. Lowering the pull can cause a number of issues. One issue being inconsistent pull weight. Paul L appears to make a high consistency pull.

:confused:

It's not hard to give a 1911 a consistent trigger pull.

I'd be lying if I told you that I understood what point you're trying to make here. Could you please explain in layman's terms the meaning of your posts?

The trigger on the Korriphila is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I own and I own quite a few. To use your word, it's not only great, but also very consistent.

745SW

The rarity and lack of pro/con comments makes for difficult understanding of the HSP. It's like not having enough data points to go on. Just the same, appreciate your various reviews much. :)

Last edited:

Skans

The trigger on the Korriphila is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I own and I own quite a few. To use your word, it's not only great, but also very consistent.

I would like to get the opportunity some day to try the trigger on a DA/SA Korriphila. Since I generally prefer DA/SA to SAO, my quest has always been to try and find DA/SA pistol that feels like my Belgian Hi-Power in single action mode, yet has a smooth, reasonable length pull in double action. So far, the best I've experienced is the trigger on my Tanfoglio Stock 10mm.

drobs

Sorry doesn't do anything for me. Looks like a blocky Walther.
I am curious as to what you gave for it?

Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment.

"In view of the continuous complaints we get about the sale price of the Steyr Scout, we now offer a proper response. It seems that Herr Budischowsky of Eislingen, Germany, is now offering what he considers to be the pistol to end all pistols. This is the "Korriphila Model HSP 701" and its retail price in Germany is 15,900 Deutsch Marks. (Last we heard there were about 1.7 DM to a US dollar.) This, of course, is in its deluxe version in solid Damascus steel. Its less ornamental brother in plain blued steel is way down at DM 8,000. Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber. I do not know if Herr Budischowsky is taking orders at this time, but you might check with him at the SHOT Show."
http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/jeff6_10.html

Looks like Jeff Cooper was later given one in 45 acp for review and liked it.
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/488294.html

It reminds me of a Stery GB. Still doesn't blow my skirt up.

I remember finally getting my hands on a Sig 220 in 45 acp and not caring for it at all. Crunchenticker - would be a good description of the trigger. To me the trigger felt springy in both SA and DA.

I'd always read that the the Sig 220 "was the next best thing to sliced bread." I finally realized why so many gun writers loved the Sig 220. The reason was it worked out of the box with Hollow Point 45 acp. To get a Colt 1911 to work reliably with fmj ball much less jhp you needed to send it off to a custom gunsmith. The Sig was one of the 1st 45's that was actually out of the box reliable - no "break in" required.

Last edited:

bac1023

Sorry doesn't do anything for me. Looks like a blocky Walther.
I am curious as to what you gave for it?

Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment.

"In view of the continuous complaints we get about the sale price of the Steyr Scout, we now offer a proper response. It seems that Herr Budischowsky of Eislingen, Germany, is now offering what he considers to be the pistol to end all pistols. This is the "Korriphila Model HSP 701" and its retail price in Germany is 15,900 Deutsch Marks. (Last we heard there were about 1.7 DM to a US dollar.) This, of course, is in its deluxe version in solid Damascus steel. Its less ornamental brother in plain blued steel is way down at DM 8,000. Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber. I do not know if Herr Budischowsky is taking orders at this time, but you might check with him at the SHOT Show."
http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/jeff6_10.html

Looks like Jeff Cooper was later given one in 45 acp for review and liked it.
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/488294.html

It reminds me of a Stery GB. Still doesn't blow my skirt up.

I remember finally getting my hands on a Sig 220 in 45 acp and not caring for it at all. Crunchenticker - would be a good description of the trigger. To me the trigger felt springy in both SA and DA.

I'd always read that the the Sig 220 "was the next best thing to sliced bread." I finally realized why so many gun writers loved the Sig 220. The reason was it worked out of the box with Hollow Point 45 acp. To get a Colt 1911 to work reliably with fmj ball much less jhp you needed to send it off to a custom gunsmith. The Sig was one of the 1st 45's that was actually out of the box reliable - no "break in" required.

Well, the trigger is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I ever felt. Its both short and smooth. It obviously needs to be somewhat heavy, but its not overly so. Its much better than a Sig P220's trigger, in my opinion.

I don't find it blocky at all, but to each their own, of course. In fact, I love the ergonomics. The profile shape was based on the classic Smith & Wesson 39, which also feels great in my hands.

Its the build quality, parts quality and fitting, and just overall refinement and attention to detail that really strikes me the most about the HSP. I basically feel its the finest pistol in the world from those standpoints.

While I don't own every single high end pistol ever built, I am fortunate enough to own at least three quarters of them, with some of those basically the same as the few I don't. There's one about its equal in some aspects and a couple others close, but I don't think any of them quite match the Korriphila completely. That's how highly I think of it.

lifesizepotato

Isn't "crunchentinker" something Cooper coined and used dismissively about pretty much every German DA/SA gun just on principle?

As bac has said, the HSP trigger is just about the perfected form of a DA/SA - utterly smooth, short, evenly weighted, and not overly heavy in DA, and the SA is as good as many match SAO triggers, with no creep and virtually no overtravel.

Though, of course, it is quite wobbly, not having a dual trigger bar design and all. :p

rock185

I had the opportunity to converse with Colonel Cooper at Gunsite on a couple of occasions. The Col. was quite certain in his convictions. Mine did not always mirror his.....

Last edited:

barnbwt

"Jeff Cooper 1st considered this pistol to be a "crunchenticker." That was not a positive comment."
Cooper was often a blind, bigoted fool who couldn't ever see past 'Murican stuff he'd used up to that point. He'd be dismissed as a blowhard in today's information-rich environment, if he himself wasn't made a lot more open-minded because of it. He did have a way with words, though, which made up for it in entertainment value (something too often lacking in the gun reviews biz these days)

"Basically it is a 9mm crunchenticker, but it may be offered in the future in a major caliber."

Figures that he cared for the pistol once it was in his beloved 45acp. Can anyone else imagine the scolding a gun writer would get in the comments section today, for dismissing such a fine piece of engineering & craftsmanship out of hand like that? Dorkenfanboy is more like it.

I wonder how much better the Korriphila's trigger was than all the various (of that vintage often finicky, unreliable, and poor quality) 1911's he was always pimping, directly or indirectly?

TCB