Knock Some Sense Into Me -Please!

TallPine

When the "boots" come thumping down the street, you may have some neighbors who could shoot some of those guns for you.

The more the merrier!

loknload

To Sell or Not to Sell?

Don't sell them, you will regret it until the day you leave this earth! :)
That is why it's called collecting :D
I've got guns in my safe I haven't fired in over 20 years, but they are part of my collection! For some reason when I bought them, I liked them and felt they had a need.
It's kinda neat to go back on a gun you haven't fired in a long time and take it to the range, It's kinda like firing a new gun all over again and it makes you rethink why you bought it in the first place.
In all my years of gun collecting, I've only ever sold two guns,
One was a rifle I bought as a kid for deer hunting, It was all I could afford at the time, The second one was a hand gun I bought from a Cop friend of mine, He left the force for a career change and didn't want the pistol anymore so I bought it. He sold it to me because he knew it would have a good home and would be taken care of.
Those are the two I've sold and regretted it ever since. ;)
Every time I go into my safe I enjoy the beauty of what I've collected over the years.
Every now and again I'll look at some piece and think about selling it and then those other two come to mind! ;)
Don't sell em! :)

Just my thoughts on the subject :)

dairycreek

I know your pain!

It does put one in a heck of a quandary. My solution has been to let the collection build up and then trade one or two of my least favorites to improve the collection. Easy to say but hard to do. I have ended up repurchasing some of the same guns I traded and wishing I hadn't sold others. It is not a perfect science but it sure keeps my interest up. Good shooting:)

Onslaught

Onslaught, this is the first time I see someone get insulted on another person's behalf. You got offended on a comment made to someone other than yourself? And which has nothing to do with you?
How many smilies does it take to let someone know you're JOKING?
bigeyes.gif
bouncy.gif
headset.gif
drunk.gif
propeller.gif
18_crazy.gif
squeeze.gif
loser.gif

Just be sure and post your PhD next time you decide to psychoanalyze someone, or tell them what their "problem may be"
butthead.gif
25_coolguy.gif

krept

Well here's my take...

If you get to the point that you have "too much" of anything then it's time to lighten the load. You have to ask yourself why you are into firearms. If you like to think of yourself as "a collector" then certainly you should keep all of your firearms.

I'm not a collector, at least I strive not to be. Not because I can't afford to (although I can't) but because there is so much more I could do with the $ than tie it up in objects that just sit there.

I would say that if you sold some of your firearms you don't use to free up some $ to get into a new hobby (photography, a new instrument, etc.) for example, then I have to go against the grain and say IT IS A WISE CHOICE.

Now if you sold two firearms you shoot frequently to get another more expensive one that you think you want right now, not so good choice.

If you are waiting to make more of a profit or to pass them on to an heir then yes, keep them. If not, I say sell them and give TFL members the first dibs
;)

CAP1

To sell or not?

My .02.
Don't sell them unless they are guns you just don't like, don't shoot well (not accurate), you need teh $, or maybe it just wasn't the gun you hoped or thought when you made the (impulse) purchase.
Just because you haven't shot them recently doesn't mean they deserve a forsale sign.
The only 2 I have ever sold I still regret parting with. Only the original G17 was something I can't eaisly replace (hi-caps).
The only one I'm GOING sell is one that just fit my hand, nor shoot the way I would like (Beretta 9K).
I buy guns for shooting, pleasure, hobby, self defense, and to pass down to my kids in case the awful scenario ever occurs where they may not be able to lawfully buy/own firearms. My 2 girls are 6 and 8, never fired a gun yet, but I am preparing for that day and beyond.
PLUS, shooting is fun.
The main thing other than defending the 2nd amendment is to send lead down range. And to pass that on to my kids someday.
CAP

SteveC

Gotta love that pop psychology...

...next thing you know, someone will tell you have a lot of guns because of "low self-esteem". Or that you might be compensating for a compact length barrel.

Me, I think you just like to play with guns.

I guess you could ask yourself if you really care about collecting (maybe hoarding would be a better term) guns or just like to shoot them. If you like having a personal arsenal, or just admire the design of certain firearms, then no problemo. If you own the guns to shoot them, then those guns you don't shoot are kind of a waste (sell them to me!)

The other way to look at it is to estimate how much money is locked up in the guns you never shoot, and then think what else you could spend the money on (like, maybe a gun you _would_ shoot, or pimping out one of your current favorites). I have a rifle sitting the closet that I never shoot, and eventually I'll get around to selling it to buy a pistol that I _will_ shoot.

Steve

Hkmp5sd

Or that you might be compensating for a compact length barrel.

Interesting subject. The Anit- crowd always come up with the old "weapons are phallic symbols representing male dominance and masculine power."

Some psychiatrists view anyone who sees "the need for a gun" as serving "libidinal purposes...to enhance or repair a damaged self-image....and involving narcissism, passivity and insecurity."

Other shrinks reject this theory because it does not account for female gun ownership. In fact, 50% of those who own a gun only for protection are women, even though women are less likely than men to own guns for sport.

Also noted is that if this theory were accurate, male gun owners would lean toward the largest barrel and bore weapons available. But the uniform popularity of different sized guns debunks this theory.

They also bring up Freud's view that weapons may symbolize the penis in dreams. Actually, Freud said that this is true for dreams involving any long object (sticks, umbrellas, poles, trees) but especially objects that may be viewed as penetrating and injuring. This passage refers to dreams in general without distinguishing gun owners from others.

When talking of weapons specifically, Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons.

-----------------------------------------------

Referrences:

"Guns, Murders and the Constitution" by Don B. Kates Jr.

"The Major Writings of Sigmund Freud" (1952)

"Dreams in Folklore" by Freud and Oppenheim (1958)

Legionnaire

CWL, obviously there are many opinions on this. IMHO, it comes down to your own philosophy of collecting. For some, possession is important, and "collecting" means acquiring and holding pieces of value, whether or not they are used. Think stamps, coins, antiques of various sorts, etc.

Not I! I'm one of those guys who would destroy the value of an antique piece of furniture by refinishing it. I'm strictly utilitarian at this point. Although I have several fairly expensive rigs, they are all shooters. When I find something in the safe that I haven't carried or shot in a long while, unless it holds some special memory or value to me (like my first pistol ever, which I hope to pass on to my grand kids), it gets sold to fund either a replacement, more ammo for the ones I do shoot, or some other hobby-related gear.

So I can't tell you what you should do, but were I you, I'd sell the 9mms and .40s to purchase some quality .45s, or some reloading gear and components so I could shoot the remaining .45s more.

Shoot straight!

Onslaught

Referrences:

"Guns, Murders and the Constitution" by Don B. Kates Jr.

"The Major Writings of Sigmund Freud" (1952)

"Dreams in Folklore" by Freud and Oppenheim (1958)

You gotta respect a man who does his homework!!!

Pinball

It's an easy answer to your dilemma.You age,thoughts change,body changes,perceptions change,needs change,wants change.You usta want every firearm you saw.Now,you kinda are more zeroed in on what you enjoy.Teachers have their pets,Tiger Woods his favorite driver,you have your favorite calibers.There is nothing wrong with changing man.Happens to all of us.For many years I loved Over/Unders,English Setters and Grouse hunting.Now I have no O/U'S or birddogs.Haven't the desire to hunt birds any longer either.I changed.It's normal man.Some guys keep the flame for one thing all their lives and never deviate.Others go a different path.Nothing wrong with either man's ways.You learn a lot about yourself after 50+ years.
Enough of this rambling-babbling.You're a man and live by your decisions.Keep'em,sell 'em but you can only truly decide.

TERRY8mm

too many?!!!

I come from a long line of traders, and was able to support my family a couple of times when I was layed off, by trading guns and herbing (NO, NOT CANNIBUS!!). I finally reached a point where I have been secure in my work for almost 20 years. OOPS! wandered a little, anyway, my wife walked in one day while I was cleaning some guns, out of the blue she daid she didn't want me to sell any more of my guns. She said she noticed how I would remenis(sp) about guns I traded, and wanted me to get what I wanted.

So for years , if I want it and have the money in my pocket, I buy it. If not, all I have to do is tell her how much it is, and in a few weeks she'll hand me the money.

Like someone said , I have guns that will sell for 4 times what I paid for them.

To satisfy my trading urges, I have been trading and collecting Mosin Nagant rifles and carbines. You can start out with $500.00 and have a ball and have found some of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned for less than $75.00!

PsychoSword

There aren't many things I own which have gone up SO MUCH in value over the years. As an example: I was sitting in the barber chair yesterday. A fellow who knows me came up and offered me $300.00 for a Smith I'd bought in the late '70's, NIB for $96.00. As kindly as I could, I declined his offer.

Now factor in inflation. And tell me it's gone up in value.

chaim

I guess both arguements make sense so do what you want to do.

The never sell a gun crowd has a point in that we often regret our sales. Also, you may always have a change of heart and start shooting other calibers and it would be nice to not have to replace something you used to have.

Then again, if you truely don't use the others they are taking up space and selling them could give you money for other guns that you may use more or money for some other big purchase that you've been putting off (would you like a motorcycle, a down payment on a new car, a small fishing boat, some really nice fishing gear, a new TV, a class on some topic that has always interested you, etc?).

I guess what I'd do is sell most of the guns that aren't used but keep one in most of the calibers just in case and make sure to keep any that are truely rare or collectable (just because they may be interesting items to own).