Knife for elk, mule deer, bear

Bluecthomas

My deer hunting friend carries cutco knives. Both straight edged and serrated.
Lifetime warranty and free resharpening, but you gotta pay s&h. He's used their resharpening service, after carving up deer with just the knives, it is a lot of blade work.

FITASC

Holding an edge is important, but being able to re-sharpen as necessary is more important.

Yep, slightly softer steel than can be resharpened very quickly as opposed to super hardened that takes a day to resharpen can be a better alternative at times.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Great post Huntinaz. I think I’ll go with a Havalon. Nice to hear from someone who’s used them a lot. Makes me more confident.

Now, which one? :D

Good luck on your NY hunting expedition. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. NY is a big place so you’re probably not hunting any place I know well but I’ll do what I can.

GeauxTide

I've used Cutco kitchen knives for almost 20 years and if they have a local sales shop, they will come sharpen them, free. When the hunting knives came out a few years ago, I bought one for me and a son. They are awesome, but I stuck with the regular blade that I can sharpen myself. Their warranty is the best in the industry.

huntinaz

Ohhh yeah I thought of another thing. When replacing blades, make sure the peg/stud apparatus the blade clips onto is free of debris and gristle. If the blade isn't completely locked in it can come off. Having a spare scalpel blade swimming around in the same carcass your hands are in is a touch scary. Happened to me. Never found the blade, luckily.

We'll mostly be hunting around Cobleskill/Richmondville area but may venture to the Clifton Park/Ballston Lake area depending on stuff. More of an experience/fun hunt than a trophy hunt but they've killed some good bucks. I'll be happy just to fill my doe tag.

the possum

I really like blades of all kinds, and at one time I would have answered this differently. But now, I'll just say, use whatever you like. If ya know what you're doing, reasonably sharp blades of many different descriptions should be able to get the job done.

In general, I like thin edges, on full height (or nearly so) flat grinds. It needs a comfy handle shaped to allow a multitude of grip positions, and I generally prefer an unobtrusive single guard. I like hard steel on blades used for controlled cutting. Lots of belly for skinning, though a wharncliffe works well to make the initial slits under the hide. I sharpen / touch up if it won't shave arm hair.

That said, I've broken the above guidelines countless times.

The best blade won't cut when it's dull, so evaluate your knowledge and skill in that department. There's no point spending good money on a new knife if you're "sharpening" with one of those pull-through carbide abominations.

Not everyone carries a "hunting knife" solely for gutting in the field. I've often used mine to trim a limb out of my line of sight, construct a hasty ground blind, quarter deer, kill varmints, and so on. So a bigger stouter blade would not be out of place in those situations.

Doyle

Not everyone carries a "hunting knife" solely for gutting in the field. I've often used mine to trim a limb out of my line of sight, construct a hasty ground blind, quarter deer, kill varmints, and so on. So a bigger stouter blade would not be out of place in those situations.

Possum, you bring up a good point. For years, I toted a fairly heavy blade Schrade because I would occasionally need it for those "rougher" duties you just described. While it work, it wasn't ideal for those tasks plus it was heavy to use when skinning. I finally smartened up and bought a little combo set that has a folding saw and pruning shears in a pouch. That pouch buckles to the side of my backpack. Now, I have proper tools for those brush duties and can use a much lighter and shorter knife for game cleaning duty.

Jack O'Conner

Schrade Old Timer "Golden Spike" is a fixed blade knife with perfect blade shape for the big game hunter.

Jack

Last edited:

Nathan

Honestly, I would get a $35 small fixed blade.

Then put the rest into a really good sharpener and strop.

jersurf101

Browning makes a folding knife with a separate blade, gut hook and saw. It is not a beautiful knife but very functional if disassembly of game is you goal. Best hunting knife I have ever owned.

huntinaz

I like the versatility there. May have to get one of those.

We expect a full report!

BTW I inventoried my blades, still have 19.

Last edited:

Panfisher

That's a handy looking knife you ordered. I have made a lot of use the last few years with an all steel set of pruning shears to clip out a section of the pelvic bone. Have run the gamut there from knives, hatchets, wire saws, folding saws etc. But like the pruners the best for now.

Auto5

I have a Ruana 13A that I got back in the '80s. I don't use it much anymore, but I'm on my third Grohmann.

Water-Man

I've been using a Cold Steel Master Hunter with Carbon blade for years. It's a great knife that holds an edge and is easy to sharpen.