Knife Control May Come to America - Unbelievable!

Waterengineer

Ordinance on knives offered for blades longer than 1-1/2 inches!

Unbelievable!

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
scroteau@telegram.com

WORCESTER— A city ordinance regulating knife possession will be presented tomorrow to the City Council.

The ordinance, developed by the Police Department, Worcester District Attorney’s office and city officials, would fine people $300 for carrying knives.

Over the past two months, there has been an upward trend in stabbings and other attacks in the city during which assailants used knives. Several attacks have led to deaths.

In response to the increased use of knives, the Police Department and Worcester District Attorney’s office have been criminally charging people with carrying a dangerous weapon during a breach of the peace.

Over the past few weeks, several people have been stabbed outside bars during fights.

Last month, a Becker College student was stabbed to death, one of three people killed by a knife during the past two months.

“We’re trying to get the kids out of the mindset that it is OK to carry a knife,” Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said.

“We’re planting a seed. We’ve have such a problem with knives being used in crimes we have to deal with it in a harsh manner.”

Any knife with a blade larger than one-and-a-half inches would be illegal to carry under the proposed ordinance.

There are exceptions, however, such as knives used for hunting, fishing or for work.

People taking a knife home after just buying it, or taking it to be fixed, could also carry it under the proposed ordinance. The ordinance would not apply to businesses involved in selling knives for trade, sport or hobby.

Another section of the ordinance states that no one can give or deliver a knife to someone younger than 18.

It does not prohibit parents, grandparents or siblings 18 and older, however, from selling, giving or delivering a knife to their children, grandchildren or siblings.

Mr. Early said knife ordinances in other communities, such as Boston, were reviewed. He said he understands that the only penalty called for by the ordinance is a fine, but noted that it is being created as a way to shift the mindset people have about carrying knives for nefarious reasons.

There is no need to carry a knife to a bar or when someone is out late at night, he said. Knives are a very personal weapon, he said.

The knife attacks constitute an “epidemic” right now in the city, the district attorney said.

Police Chief Gary J. Gemme called the ordinance another tool to “assist us with this escalation of knife crimes and knife assaults.”

Along with the ordinance and the use of the criminal law, Chief Gemme has placed a Fall Impact Program — a group of 18 additional officers — out on the streets at night.

The fall program is a continuation of the summer program, in which a patrol is added late at night into the early morning. The summer was quiet this year in the city, but September and October have been violent.

The additional patrols will continue until Nov. 30.

The Police Department also has an Anti-Crime Team, officers working bar details and regular patrols watching bars and other areas where attacks have occurred.

Chief Gemme said he hopes the strategies and the change in the weather will work to decrease violent attacks.

Police officials are projecting 148 stabbings by year’s end if the trend continues.

The criminal law now being applied by police and prosecutors does include a limited list of knives.

People carrying only certain types of knives — as listed in the statute — can be charged with the carrying a weapon during a breach of the peace crime.

Mr. Early said yesterday the statute needs to be re-examined because people are carrying knives with smaller blades or other dangerous items, such as box cutters.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/p...ntart

tranks

why do people not understand that a criminal breaks laws.

its not that hard of a concept.

soon we're going to end up like the movie I, Robot.

i think its time to make our own country without these irrational laws and ludicrous taxes! (wait hasn't this been done before?) :confused:

chris in va

Unbelieveable. Everyone around here carries a knife, you don't hear about multiple stabbings at bars, etc.

I just don't understand politicians. Something bad happens, time to make the tool illegal instead of cracking down on the individual.

Yellowfin

I just don't understand politicians. Something bad happens, time to make the tool illegal instead of cracking down on the individual.
It has nothing to do with that at all. The mechanism is:

1. Invent a problem.
2. Come up with a solution your opponent opposes, no matter how ridiculous.
3. Push it to the ignorant or apathetic sheeple as a cure to society's ills.
4. Blame lack of results on the opposition and push for more, framing yourself as the hero of the people who are helpless without you.

It's a simple machine that gets them votes and power, and it works all too well in the communist held states like Illinois and California. That is the sole reason they do it. Sadly it keeps working.

cchardwick

Take away guns and they will use knives.

Take away knives and they will use shovels.

Soon they will outlaw shovels and hammers, then they will have to resort to rocks and clubs - back to the stone age days.

poke.gif

dakotashooter2

I carry a folder with a 3" blade with me everwhere. and use it several times a day for non-work related chores. (try open plastic packed stuff from the store without one!!!).

FWIW blade length doesn't mean a whole lot. 911 hijacks were committed with boxcutters with a blade of 1" or less. A sharp thin 1 1/2" blade could easily cause someone to be trying to pick up their insides off the floor.

The other fault is that knives are cheap and easily made so carrying one and disposing of it when encountering law enforcement is not a real problem.

22-rimfire

...knives are cheap...

Knives are really cheap when you compare it to legal fees. Even a $1000 custom is disposable.

I assume Worcester is in Mass, correct?

The proposed ordanance is a waste of paper. It will only be enforced when a knife is used in a crime or in a threatening manner. Laws on the books probably already cover that situation.

18 to buy a knife? That rubs me the wrong way big time. Knives are part of Americana.

elza

The ordinance, developed by the Police Department, Worcester District Attorney’s office and city officials, would fine people $300 for carrying knives.
Just another ploy to generate revenue. If they were worried about crime it would result in more than just a fine.

No different than marijuana or under age alcohol tickets. They aren’t trying to stop anything just collect money for it.

B.N.Real

Knives are very heavily regulated right now.

No knife over 2.5 inches in length is allowed in any Federal building and depending where you live the limit starts at 3 inches and somewhere around that is the only legal knives you can carry.

All those great looking Bowie and Marine knives are illegal as you know what to carry in most localities.

Expect to get arrested if you have on in a sheath on your belt depending where you are at-at the time.

The laws concerning hand held weapons like these also tend to include vague entries that make it legal for a police officer to arrest you for ANY object that he deems you are not carrying with innocent intent at the time.

wayneinFL

Fortunately, I haven't heard of any problems around here concerning knives, except when it comes to federal law. Or a courthouse, police station, etc. Still pretty restricted, IMO, but at least the state isn't too bad about giving you a hard time.

bclark1

They're going to pass a law against suicide I heard, to "plant a seed" and "get kids out of the mindset that it's OK." Those emo losers sure are mucking up the county statistics. I heard the penalties are going to be pretty harsh; if I commit suicide, I'll be very careful not to get caught.

The goal is to end all injuries, and eventually, ban death outright. The IRS has already incentivized staying alive, but too many people aren't taking the bait, dying must be criminalized to correct this irrational behavior.

...got to love the promulgating elite, taking such good care of us.

dmazur

I work for a power company, and we have a "no larger than 3in" rule for pocketknives in the workplace.

Well, it seems the linemen all carry Buck 4in folders, or the equivalent, so they were granted an exemption. Apparently the smaller knives just don't work too well at skinning insulation off large conductors.

You gotta love the folks that are taking care of us.

Stevie-Ray

Well, it seems the linemen all carry Buck 4in folders, or the equivalent, so they were granted an exemption. Apparently the smaller knives just don't work too well at skinning insulation off large conductors.
Crap, I used to skin 500MCM with a Schrade Old Timer with a 2" blade. I did find that the carbon steel blades worked better than stainless. And keep a chunk of ceramic handy.

Son of Seeker

"i think its time to make our own country without these irrational laws and ludicrous taxes! (wait hasn't this been done before?)" [i couldn't find out how to do the qoute box thingie...]

it has indeed been done before, and it worked for awhile but know it needs to happen again if you ask me.

in the Pacific Northwest....:D:D

Darren007

Any knife with a blade larger than one-and-a-half inches would be illegal to carry under the proposed ordinance.

There are exceptions, however, such as knives used for hunting, fishing or for work.

And that right there is the catch 22 that they use to sell this junk to the public.....Who decides whats for hunting and fishing, etc.? And any blade longer than an inch and a half......isnt that like every knife ever made???

The stupidity of some of our lawmakers and the people that support them, and measures like these never ceases to amaze.