Kimber Rifles - Need Inputs

joshua

I've read about the new Tactical model and the article does blow a lot of myths away in reference to what a tactical rifle should be. Any actual experience with standard and tactical models here? Please share your thoughts. josh

joshua

Wow! Speaking from the overwhelming response, I suppose Kimber rifles will not become the rifleman's rifle. josh

bentrod

I have the Kimber 22 rifle, it is a light weight sporter. It SHOOTS! I compete in 100 yd egg shoots and do very well against the more expensive rifles.

bentrod

OatWillie

no kimber

Idid not have good luck with my 8400 ... then again, it was not the "tactical" version, just the "classic - with freefloated barrel, match trigger, bedded, etc. I found that after the barrel warms, the patterns open up ... way up.

This may be my fault for buying a sporter rifle and expecting match accuracy. but ya know, it is a "Kimber".

bentrod

I have the same situation with my M700 7mm-08, I have learned to take time between shots. I got a .510 group at 100 today while working up some good loads, at least 1.5 minutes between rounds.
Sierra SBT 140 gr
Varget 41.3

I was thinking of another deer rifle but this will do it in spades,

Savage99

I have bought five rifles made by Kimber of Yonkers, NY in the last few years.

My main reason buying them was that they are lighter than the m70's and M99's that I have. I hoped that weight savings would help as I am overweight and old.

I had problems with just about all of them. I sold one and got the others going now and in fact one is my #1 woods rifle this season.

Tactical really does not interest me so I can't help you there. Don't most of you buy autoloaders?

kimberclassicf54ec76arz8.jpg

Here are the first two ones I got. The 260 had a bad barrel and Kimber would not do anything about it. I sold it at a loss.

Scorch

There was a lot of talk about Kimber rifles when they first hit the market. From what I have read, they don't shoot worth a damn, and the ones I have seen at the range confirm that. A $1000 rifle should shoot better than 2.5"-3", which is apparently as good as Kimbers get. There is no Kimber in my future.

nosualc

I had a Kimber 1911. Nice looking, accurate, but it jammed. Alot. After a great deal of frustration, and several trips back to the factory, they were unable (or unwilling) to remedy the problem. I ended up trading it. Judging from what I read on this forum and others, mine is not an uncommon experience.

I know that my experience with a pistol is not necessarily indicative of the quality of their rifles. It is, however, indicative of the comittment Kimber the company has to quality and customer service. A focus on quality (including reliability) should be a given at their price point. Kimber sells their products at a premium price, I expect a premium product.

They might make a fine rifle, but I won't be buying one. There are too many other companies who get it right for me to roll the dice on Kimber. "Fool me once..." as they say.

-nosualc

Last edited:

joshua

Wow! I appreciate the inputs. It seems there are some spotty products and that will be normal with most manufacturers. My personal opinion on manufacturers charging premium price for products they won't even back up with good customer service is downright low. I was thinking about getting a Kimber 8400, but I may just wait until more positive inputs happen. josh

Savage99

scorch,

Since you don't have a Kimber and in fact maybe have never even shot one I don't buy your posts.

True some rifle might shoot poorly but it might be the shooter.

dsc013142ll.jpg

scorch,

Since you don't have a Kimber and in fact maybe have never even shot one I don't buy your posts.

True some rifle might shoot poorly but it might be the shooter.

Due to the posts I've read and confirmed inputs that I've researched based on Scorch's opinions I must disagree wholeheartedly about your assertion.

But, then again, you have the right to have your opinion...

Speaking from the overwhelming response, I suppose Kimber rifles will not become the rifleman's rifle.

Kimbers seem to have the right stuff on paper, but my experiences with their rifles leave me at a loss. I've found other rifles that better suit my needs. I know this isn't the best information you're looking for, but it beats going into a diatribe...

Sturmgewehre

That's pretty much what I've found, Kimber charges a premium for their goods, markets them as top of the line, but in the end they perform like low end equipment. It doesn't matter if it's a 1911 or their rifles, their quality is hit or miss, their customer support is lacking and to be honest, there is FAR better available at the same price.

Savage99

tuttle,

You wrote "Due to the posts I've read and confirmed inputs that I've researched based on Scorch's opinions I must disagree wholeheartedly about your assertion."

First of all Scorch said that he found that Kimbers shoot 2" to 2.5". That ridiculous and overstated unless he means 200 yds and not 100 yds.

Lets find out if he has even fired a Kimber.?

First of all Scorch said that he found that Kimbers shoot 2" to 2.5". That ridiculous and overstated unless he means 200 yds and not 100 yds.

To what baseline to you assert that Scorch's statement is ridiculous and overstated? One doesn't necessarily have to fire the weapon to judge its accuracy. I don't think it's going to prove anything whether he fired it or not. If he witnessed the targets of the actual shooter, then that's probable cause to claim that he "appears" to see that the numbers aren't good. Could it be the shooter, windy day, or the ammo? Sure. But, his statement left it, based on observation, open for discussion. Yours didn't.

When you call someone out that has a well established rapport here without asking for clarification, you'll definitely catch my attention.

It even makes less sense that you attack his opinion when, in fact, you've claimed that you've had problems with just about all of yours.

So, what say you?

Savage99

I never had groups that were as large as even 2" at 100 yds. Some of the problems were a feeding problem, a bad crown and a stock that had knots in it.

I got those sorted out but never have I seen 2" let alone 2.5" groups from a well aimed Kimber at 100yds.

Face it the man dumped on Kimbers and he has never even shot one.

dsc00822yq8.jpg

My kids first buck shot with his Kimber 84M 7mm-08. You see we have been there and done that. ]

TexasFats

For those of you who complain about the groups on your Kimber opening up after you shoot a lot, just about any sporting rifle will do that. That is why some target guns have the heavy bull barrels. The extra metal acts as a heat sink and it also imparts added stiffness to the barrel.

That means that, when you are sighting in a rifle, give it time to cool between shots. And, leave the action open after each shot to help it cool.

Scorch

Two shooters at the range I shoot at have Kimbers, and both were having trouble getting good groups.

1) After seeing the groups i was shooting, one of them asked for help sighting in his rifle. I fired 10 rounds of factory Remington ammo for a 2.75" and a 2.5" group. I told the guy he coould probably improve that with handloads, but since he doesn't handload I recommended he try different ammo brands to find one his rifle liked.

2) The shooter at the bench next to me was commenting that his new rifle shot pretty well, and showed me a 1" 3-shot group. I said that's nice, and asked if he had ever fired 5-shot groups, to which he answered that after 3 shots his groups open up too much. 3 shot groups show nothing, 5 shot groups show how well the rifle is bedded and assembled and how it responds to heat.

I have heard of feeding issues with Kimbers, but since I have never actually seen that, I won't comment on it.

BTW, thanks, Tuttle8

Charles S

3 shot groups show nothing, 5 shot groups show how well the rifle is bedded and assembled and how it responds to heat.

Well kind of....a single 5 shot group really still tells me nothing.

I agree in a target or varmint rifle. However, in a hunting rifle with a sporter weight barrel (read number 2 or 3 contour) I prefer 5-3 shot groups with a good bit of time for the barrel to cool between groups to my usual 3-5 shot groups.