Kimber owners - info wanted

LarryFlew

OK, if I'm going to spend a grand or more on a gun (fell in love with the new Crimson Kimber 2 tone look and weight) I need some input from owners and/or previous owners.

Looking at 4 inch rather than 3 or 5 just so it is more like my Witness compact 45 but not glued to that size. Might note that my Witness is DA/SA which might also be a slight preference but not a huge deal.

Anything good or bad to say will be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry

Scoots

I've got a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry (4" barrel). I love it. The 4", in my opinion, does not take away from the accuracy. And, it makes it just a bit easier for me to carry.

I've never shot a .45 with a 3" barrel, so I can't comment on that.

Tuzo

My Kimber Stainless II is the smoothest handling semi-auto I own. It is accurate and has shot several hundred rounds of mixed 230 grain hollow points, FMJ, and plated round nose with no malfunction. Trigger is excellent and fit and finish are very good. It cost $760 out the door.

The negative side to Kimber is a consistent criticism of their quality control and customer service. Some pistols are lemons and some pistols are jewels. A rough survey of TFL posts reveals a slight edge of positive views over negative views. Check your prospective purchase for quality control, fit and finish, before buying.

CSG

Every manufacturer gets criticized on the internet and you have to weigh pro and con comments with a judicious mind.

I only own one Kimber, a Compact CDP II and it's been flawless in operation. I read all sorts of anti-Kimber comments (as well as praise) in a variety of forums but inspecting the pistol I eventually bought told me what I needed to know.

I've had no need to contact Kimber CS.

1911rocks

Kimber Note

I've had 2 Kimbers with external extractors which were problems. Kimber has since returned to the classic Internal Extractor which problems are minimal.

John D

I've got several 45's: Colt, Para, even an old Firestar. My favorite is my Kimber Custom II. Unlike all of the negative posts you'll encounter, I don't have jamming problems, no magazine issues, no stovepipes, nothing. It just shoots well and keeps runnin'. ANY make/model is going to get blasted (pun intended!) .... you've got to sort out the real problems from the nit-pics.

BigJimP

I have quite a few 1911's - but only 2 Kimbers ....

One is a Gold Combat stainless, 5", out of their custom shop that is an above average gun / not a great gun. I dislike the series 80 stuff ...and the trigger isn't great / gun is about 5 yrs old I guess. The guns out of their custom shop are around $ 2,000 ( gold combat, match, raptor, etc ) - but they do get more attention than some of their other models.

One is a Tactical Pro II model, alloy frame, 4" barrel. The alloy frame is light / and annodized - but the finish doesn't wear too well. It would really be beat up if I had it in and out of a holster all the time. This model is around $1,000 - and the trigger was junk when I got it. I paid a local gunsmith to replace it all with a new wilson combat trigger and now its a very good gun ( but finish is what it is ).

In general - I would stay with a 5" gun / especially in .45 acp. I have fired 3" guns in .45 acp / and it takes a lot of concentration to shoot them well ( they jump around a lot ). A 4" gun is a decent compromise ...but I still prefer and carry a 5" gun most of the time. My carry gun is a Wilson CQB,
5" model, with armor tuff finish on it ....and its been a great gun. On the downside - is the weight. But in terms of size / I would carry a 3", 4" or
5" 1911 in the same IWB holster ...so it really isn't much difference / except a few ounces of weight.

My personal opinion is you should carry the gun you shoot the best / so for me that is a 5" 1911. I have a couple of 4" 1911's - but I really don't shoot them much / and I don't carry them at all ....thought I would / but I don't ...

shepherddogs

I carry the Pro CDP about 90% of the time. Never had a feed failure of any kind. I'd skip the laser thing but that's just me. Mine has tritium sights.

TRaGiK

Not a 4 inch, but I just picked up a Kimber Stainless Target II a few weeks ago, and have put about 400 rounds through it.

It functions perfectly and is pretty accurate. Accuracy I rate right up with my old CZ75, if not a little better.

The only bad thing I can say about it is the trigger isn't the greatest. Pull weight feels like it's in the 5 pound area (which isn't terrible for me), but it has some creep.

Barbicatter

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. I love the looks, the feel, and the accuracy of this little 1911. However, if I had done more research on Kimber before I purchased. I would have purchased another Brand. Kimber only warranties their products for One year. Colt, S&W, Springfield has lifetime warranties. I also expected a more durable finishes on a $1000 gun. I found a little rust on my slide after storing it for a week. I probably should left more oil on it after cleaning, but I didn’t. The rust came right off, but I feel it shouldn't have rusted like that in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong I am very happy with the performance of gun. I just think I should have gotten a little more for grand, better warranty, better finish.

Ozzieman

I own a Royal Carry and its the best 1911 for carry that I have ever owned.
With hot rounds it can be a hand full so my Wife hates the thing.
I have owned it since the early 90's and its had close to 4K through it and never a failure.
I like Kimbers.

Stevie-Ray

I own only an Ultra CDP II, and it's my EDC. It replaced my HKUSPC, as it's smaller, lighter, and far more accurate. I am also a 1911 guy, so that helped. I waited for another brand to come out with it's features and none seemed to be forthcoming at the time. Even Springfield's Micro didn't present itself in time. It's just as well, because I love the Kimber. This is the single most accurate weapon I've ever fired, out of the box, especially with my preferred carry round. I paid $950 back then and it was worth every penny now, though at the time, I found it quite expensive. Mine had to be a 3" though, as a Commander sized wouldn't be any smaller than the HK that I found to be too large.

I've had no issues.

Smudge2075

Stainless Pro Carry

I have a Pre-Series II Stainless Pro-Carry that I bought new in 1998. It has been nearly flawless. The only problem I've had is that after about 2K rounds and using Gov't issue magazines I broke the slide lock. The heavy springs in the issue mags eventually snapped off the nub that the mag follower pushes up after your last shot. I went ahead and refreshed all of the springs when I rplaced the slide lock and haven't had any further problems.

MTT TL

Our Kimbers have been great. The only contact with customer service was with a used gun that had not bee treated properly. They sent the parts for free. Accuracy is excellent, feeding and function great.

My carry gun is a Wilson CQB, 5" model, with armor tuff finish on it

Great gun. Better than Kimbers. Twice the price. If I had a bigger gun budget I would likely go better too, but maybe not.

david58

I carry a Custom II Stainless 5" with crimson trace grips - also replaced mainspring housing (plastic) with one of SS. Gun has been flawless. I hear that the 5" is the only "real" 1911, but I've shot a 4" version and it is pleasant to shoot. I would not think I would enjoy the 3".

My first Kimber was a lemon :barf:- the reason I have the above gun is that the dealer credited the price of the lemon and gave me a $50 discount on the stainless.

Terrible Customer Service experience. Learned recently from the dealer that Kimber actually took the gun back (after repeatedly telling me nothing was wrong with it even though it needed repairs at the factory). If you get a winner, you'll have a great gun. Hopefully you'll never have to deal with Kimber CS.:eek:

orionengnr

Well, I've owned eight Kimbers so far (six of which I still own) and a bit over 20 1911s total. The only 1911s in my safe and on my hip are Kimbers, and there is a reason for that.

Okay, I added a used Les Baer recently, and it's been getting some carry and range time. I got it for a good price and I had to try it. But I can honestly say that (cachet aside) it offers nothing...it is not more accurate or reliable than any Kimber I own. Were I to do it all over again, I would have probably bought a Pro CDP instead...

bobelk99

I like/love Kimbers, depending on what day it is.

I have one or two. Some in 4", some in 5"
Some with external extractors that work flawlessly.

I have a ProCarry that I traded for, that has ambi safety, nite sights and a near perfect trigger. I shoot it more than my Super Match II or CDP II.

I vote for CDP 4" as all around gun.

cz223

I own a TAC PRO II

which is a 4" gun. I bought it very lightly used, in fact my gunsmith said it looked practically brand new inside. The gun was, in fact, 3 years old, though it had obviously not been fired much at all. The main reason for this was probably because it would not fire a full mag of roundball without jambing. I fully expected that this might be the case when I bought it for $700.:) Since then it has been quite reliable. I do like the size and weight of this gun though, as stated before, the finish is junk. Would I buy another Kimber? Yes, but not a new one. They are overpriced for the quality you get. Either of my Taurus 1911's will out shoot this gun and they both have been 100% reliable. Check out the new Smith ES, it might fill your bill very well for around $900.