Kimber 45ACP I'm SHOCKED!

CarJunkieLS1

So a few weeks I posted about my Kimber Stainless ii 1911 in 45ACP. Now at this point I have only 85 or so rounds through it but it's been 100% reliable with 3 different mags and 3 brands of ammo. So far I'm very pleased, have no complaints at all.

Now the shocking part is the accuracy, I'm not a great pistol shooter in fact I'd barely say I'm average skill with a pistol. The first time I shot it everything I shot was high and right, if I'd aim low left I'd hit bullseye.

Your guys suggestions to bag the pistol and use more finger on the trigger was exactly what I needed. I read in the manual that the sights were factory set for 25 yards. I set a target at 25 yards and with a pistol rest shot a 3 shot group...BEST pistol group I've ever shot I'm beyond happy. Consider me a Happy Camper and a proud Kimber owner.

Pistol : Kimber Stainless ii 45ACP 5" barrel as factory stock as can be.

Ammo : Federal HST 230gr +p

zincwarrior

Very good.

1. At 85 rounds, a 1911 is not broken in yet. You need to put about 500 (old school advice there).

2. The point of aim may float as the pistol is broken in.

3. Change out the spring at 1,500. The manual is not joking about that. As you are shooting +P you may need to change early (not a fan of +P anything unless the firearm is specifically stated as rated for it).

4. I have heard that current Kimber mags are lower quality. I would check on that. There are good mag makers out there: Wilson and a variety of others (sorry 1911s aren't my thing for a few decades).

Bart Noir

Let me add that for accuracy, the slower bullets are better.

For instance, target shooters do not use the faster loads. They use standard velocity in .22, not high velocity. They use moderate .38 Specials in guns which might be able to shoot .357 Magnums.

So using non- +P loads in your Kimber might, in theory, give you even smaller groups. Or you might not notice the difference.

Bart Noir

CarJunkieLS1

Thanks for the tips, the manual says a 400-500 round break in. The Kimber is rated for +p but the manual says "not a steady diet" which is fine for me. I'll have to remeber the recoil spring thing for sure. This is a shooting pistol so it will only see 230 grain ball 99% of the time.

I'll only have +p in it as a glove box and nightstand gun. I'll shoot some of more it as it's my defense ammo choice and I need to be sure it's 100% reliable.

gwpercle

If you ever wonder why such an archaic design as J M Browning's 1911 is still in production , now you know...You get it !
I got my first in 1967 , one is sitting besides me now , 45 acp rules .

Awesome ....Keep on , keeping on !

Save your brass , reloading is easy ...you get to shoot more if you reload .
Gary

stephen426

One of the best attributes of 1911s is the single action trigger. The trigger pull is shorter and crisper than most other types of pistols. This greatly improves accuracy for many, as it is easier to isolate the movement of the trigger finger from the rest of the hand. The longer sight radius of a full sized gun is much easier to aim precisely compared to a sub-compact pistol. Enjoy your gun and practice, practice, practice!

Charlie98

Just curious about your selection of +P ammo... and the seeming need for it. I bought 2 boxes of Speer +P when I got my Kimber... I ran 2 magazines of it through the pistol and promptly gave the rest of it away. Flash, blast, and recoil... none of which are a good recipe for SD ammo, particularly indoors (home defense.)

CarJunkieLS1

All 3 shots almost cuts the same hole and edge to edge was roughly .820 -.45 for bullet diameter so less than 1/2 inch.

Last edited:

UncleEd

Now if you ask a Wilson .45 owner what his three shot
groups are, he'd tell you 1/10th of an inch fired from a
running horse at a distance of 50 yards. After all,
his gun cost three times as much. :D:D:D

laytonj1

Now if you ask a Wilson .45 owner

Well, as a Wilson Combat owner I can tell you I can not shoot to that level. I shoot 5 shot groups and sometimes 7 (full magazine). Now, if I was to take the best 3 out of 5, or 7, I could come up with an occasional 3 shot .5” group. ;)

Jim

CarJunkieLS1

I am absolutely positive I probably will NEVER duplicate that 3 shot group ever again. I am well aware it was a "holy grail" group and I can't or won't expect that everytime I shoot it. I can without a doubt say that the pistol is more accurate than I am and if I miss that it's my fault. I have a pic of the 3 shot group but I can't get it to upload from my phone to this forum.

Martowski

Kimber makes a great product. I have an early 1996 Classic Custom Target. I've made only two small modifications (well, besides grips). I replaced the stock trigger with a Cylinder & Slide short trigger back around 2010 or so, and I had EGW custom make a bushing for it to tighten the barrel to slide fit. It now shots just as well as my Les Baer Premier II, no joke.

People like to bash Kimbers, and that's fine. But I'd take a stock Custom II over a Springfield Loaded any day. And yes, I've owned the Loaded as well.

LRDGCO

Trigger, trigger, trigger. Huge 1911 (and single action revolver) fan.Got into a Kimber Team Match II stainless in.38 Super a few months ago to shoot comps. Loving it. For the purposes of defense, hard to beat .45 ACP unless you need to shoot through barriers I guess. As I recall, and will stand corrected if not so, Barry's plated 230 grs are somewhere in the BHN 10 -12 range which will offer penetration and expansion at 850 fps, and I would imagine RMR bullets are in a similar range, offering a solid, economical option if they will shoot well from your pistol. Works well in several of my 1911s My father's minty 1942 made WWII take home will eat nothing but 230 grs hardball. Very finicky eater ;-)

Charlie98

People like to bash Kimbers, and that's fine. But I'd take a stock Custom II over a Springfield Loaded any day. And yes, I've owned the Loaded as well.

My previous 1911 was a stainless Springfield... I called it The Wretch because it had a nasty habit of pitching brass at my forehead. I sold it (to my brother, who still has it) and bought my Pro Eclipse. Our honeymoon still continues to this day...

Since no one has thrown up any pictures... I'll do so...

wEcfqK5l.jpg

wingman

I would not use +p in any of my guns, just do not see the need for it, feel the need for more power then move up to a 12 ga.

CarJunkieLS1

I've been trying to add a pic of my pistol and the group size using my phone, but I keep getting a Upload error.

Attachments

• 20190710_192719.jpg
    20190710_192719.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited: