Kids and Trigger pull

Bluestarlizzard

Children, dogs and idiots. Three things which always overcome whatever is "proofed" against them.
The best proof will always be multilayered prevention and good training.

KyJim

I agree with the premise that a safety does not make a gun safe, especially for children. HOWEVER, I disagree with his conclusion it is better to carry a gun without a safety; i.e., a Glock or similar pistol. There are many stories of officers and others having negligent discharges due to the lack of safety; e.g., something catches the trigger when reholstering, etc. Just ask the infamous ATF agent who shot himself in front of a schoolroom full of children.

HALLAUSTIN

I have to agree with bluestarlizard. Nothing is everything proof. My father in law used to tell me that pre warning label everything was idiot proof, so they made a better idiot. Now I'm not calling children idiots. Children can be very smart. But give them a firearm when they have never trained to handle one... Or anyone for that matter, it could end bad.

bikerbill

Was this thread prompted by the latest idiocy from California? Rep. Jackie Speier says she's considering legislation that would forbid the sale of any gun that a five-year-old can operate, apparently spurred by a LA case where a five-year-old girl shot and killed herself with a .38 revolver. Not sure where she is with this epic bit of law-making or if she plans to follow through. Just holding my head so it doesn't explode ....

Glenn E. Meyer

This thread was started by me cleaning my office. We are moving to a new building. I went through a box of gun literature and found it.

I thought it was interesting and useful.