Kids and lethal force

orangello

That story makes me glad i don't have kids or the need to decide when to teach a little person how to save their own life. I was taught how to use a 22 single-shot rifle at age 6. When i showed myself competent to do so without endangering myself or non-squirrel others, my dad showed me how to use his single-shot 20 guage. My introduction to repeating arms was notably delayed by a few years, presumably to allow me to gain some experience and maturity. My introduction to handguns was similarly delayed. If i had to make that decision on 'when," it would depend on the child's maturity and skill level.

I am glad this doesn't happen more often and hope the youngster is given an opportunity to speak freely with a counselor of some type who will let the kid know that he did the right thing. Picking a counselor would be tough.

TEDDY

kids

I taught my 3 kids abot guns took them to a range and had 2 gallon cans of water shot can with 30/06.thats what happens when a bullet hits very impresive later I taught them to shoot.
we did not have counsling in my day. kid died we were sorry and life went on
6 monthes latter no one remembered who he was.now they cry about him for months and remember for yrs.no wonder there is so much mental problems.
I lost a wife I cried but life went on and I married again,my friends are dying and I miss them.but life goes on.all that counsling does is reenforce the trauma.not relive it.:rolleyes:

BlueTrain

I would not say that counseling or support groups are without value but, given some of the things that my wife and I have gone through, we eventually realized that many if not most of the same things had happened to one or more of our friends, relatives or acquaintenances. Things that people don't really care to talk about. But when they happen to you, you learn a lot about other people. Strangers, though, on the other hand, are people you don't always care to share things with. But as they say, everything happens to everyone, if there's enough time.