Kiddies, don't try this at home.. shot a mouse with .22 shot shell!

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
The Winchester shells are a lil loud in a handgun but not at all that bad in a 24" barrel 22. I use em a lot for rats/mice etc. around here. Guess when ya get as old as I am and the hearing is "shot" from shooting nothing is too loud. Cat is a pretty good mouse trap too.

CJO

My wife has a squirrel/bird feeding station in the back yard she enjoys immensley and the rodent problem didn't start until forest clearing for new homes began behind my property...The little devils were so bold as to feed in broad daylight...I killed about 15 with my H & R model 649 revolver using CCI #12 blue tipped ratshot...Actually killed 5 mice in one shot nesting under some lumber stacked on top of my jon boat...Alas, they wised up and quit letting me get close enough to execute them with the pistol so I bought a $99 pellet rifle from WAL-MART and slapped a 3 X 9 Tasco I had lying around and killed 14 more...Great fun and excellent practice for squirrel season...Only one rat left (I think) and he's wilder than hell...Can't even step out the door without him running...Oddly enough, he 's not afraid of my wife...Too bad she can't shoot...Wonder if he recognizes me or the rifle?...Got a stray cat living under my shed now so I suspect his days are numbered....Pic is my shooter

Attachments

• 101-0196_img.jpg
    101-0196_img.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 74

CJO

This is the feeder station....About 20 yards from rifle muzzle...

Attachments

• 101-0191_img.jpg
    101-0191_img.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 61

CJO

Dish of sunflower seeds as seen thru my scope...

Attachments

• 101-0192_img.jpg
    101-0192_img.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 68

CJO

Success....I really considered don my cammies and bush hat and posing with my 5 incher ala safari style but though it would be a bit over the top...Ya know holding the tiny little ears instead of antlers....

Attachments

• 101-0189_img.jpg
    101-0189_img.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 91

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Hey CJO, I kinda like that insulated cover over that beverage bottle in the last picture................................I don't think your fellow Mississippian Bret Farve likes it too much though(or Tampa Bayians either for that matter) :D

Looks like this year they may be for real.

Bogie

Guys, I said this earlier, and I'm serious. It works. If you want to use poison to nuke rodents, you can get away with using coke. Regular stuff, not the diet, and I pretty much stick to the name brand.

Get a two-litre bottle, pour it out in a shallow pan around dusk, stick it in the shed, and walk away.

They seem to like drinking it, but since they can't burp, they end up hemmorhaging. And if pets find 'em, and munch 'em, no problem.

CJO

Southla1....Been burned by the Saints too many times but if they beat Chicago Sunday they I'll be a reborn believer...BTW:...I was born in Ville Platte and raised in Opelousas...Went to school with a guy from Jenerrette named Pic Cyr.....

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
CJO, I wonder if Pic still has that Mauser 98 with the laminated stock on it? LOL know him well (knew his dad well too but he has passed on) but have not seen him in a while.

Yea I been burned by The Saints since 67 but hope still springs eternal (glad i was in Syria on the rigs last year for the last 4 games LOL)

K80Geoff

I have heard the same nonsense about seagulls and alka seltzer:rolleyes:

Coke gets flat real quick, Rats are very suspicious of new foods and would probably wait before drinking the coke.

george miller

lol redneck

diversionary tactics?its really what happens when theyre scared sh..less.we lived on a farm that had a small grain shed with a swinging door.it was too easy. slowly open the door,kick the side of the bldg and give the door a good wirl.the pigeons were just too slow and the cats enjoyed this.

CAP1

Used to do it all the time as kids (with Dad). I still have some old .22 shotshell my dad bought at least 30 years ago. Being city folk now, I can't discharge in the city limits. :(
CAP

george miller

shotshells

is there any truth that shotshells can be bad for the rifling?just curious,ive never tried them in my 22s.ive got an old marlin 39a thats chambered in shorts,long and lonmg rifle. the shorts are noticably quieter and work well on rats.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
"is there any truth that shotshells can be bad for the rifling"

Nothing but an old wives tale..............no way that the soft shot can hurt the hard steel of the barrel................if that was so older shot shells for shotguns without the shot cups would have eroded away the barrels of many a fine old shotgun.

I guess if you fired a few thousand you may lead up the lands and grooves some but again a good stiff brushing with a good solvent will clean that out.

Ron L

I took a Snake Charmer in 410 to a squirrel living in my attic once. Damn ears rang for a few days! Didn't see a better way at the time, an old Crossman BB gun just pissed him off.

We used to hunt rats at a machine plant a buddy used to work at. Ruger Single Six dispatched many over the years. Some can be quite tough. One fell into a truck pit and he fired a slug into the pit. It may have been concussion that killed it, I couldn't see anything swimming around in that muck, but it eventually floated to the surface so he could scoop it out and dispose of it.

Ikari

Does anybody know where I can find shotshell cartridges for a .40 S&W? I've foudn them for .45, 9mm, .357, .44 Mag, etc, but no .40. Until then, it's the Rem 581 outside and Crosman 760 Pumpmaster indoors.