Kiddies, don't try this at home.. shot a mouse with .22 shot shell!

mini14jac

Got home a few days ago and found mouse huddled in the garage.
I normally use a BB gun to dispatch such critters, but I was out of CO2.
I got the bright :rolleyes: idea of using some old .22 long rifle shot shells I had.
They are Winchester, and are made of long brass casing, crimped at the end to hold the shot in.

Well, I made at least two mistakes.
For some reason I didn't think it would be that loud. :eek:
[stupid]
And, I was too close.
I chambered one round into a Ruger MKII, with the mouse at the base of a block wall, and the muzzle about 4 feet away, I aligned the sights and pulled the trigger.

MY HEARING SHOULD BE BACK TO NORMAL IN A FEW DAYS. :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen a mouse turned inside-out?:barf:
I thought I would never get the mess cleaned up! [/stupid]

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to get a Red Ryder BB gun. :D

scotjute

mini14jac,

thanks for the warning. I've always thought .22 shot cartridges would be suitable for shooting "indoors" at mice. Never have tried them. Guess I'll pass on any indoor shooting.

I fired off a single shot black powder pistol inside a room one time,
just the cap, no gun powder, and was right next to a smooth wooden wall. Just that sharp little pop bouncing off the wall left my ear(s) ringing for several minutes. Guess there must be something to the warnings people give about shooting a shotgun inside a house for self-defense.

Snowdog

Oh yes, I have shot plenty a mouse in my shed as well as some rats too.

I used primarily Winchester's fine shotshell... a crimped number with #12 shot. For the year that the shed was infested, I shot around 40 or so... never to come back. Their buddies apparently got the gist of the situation as well and must have packed out.

A Romanian training rifle and a Ruger MKII were my weapons of war. However, I had significant ejection problems. It appeared that the extractor was having a fit trying to get a hold of the rim. Also got in some shots with a Crossman .177 caliber CO2 semi-auto, but the results weren't quite as decisive (though they certainly did the job).

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
.22 conversion on a Glock produced a uselessly thin pattern at 5ft and the empties would stickin the chamber. .22 bolt action rifle (old Mossberg) produced dense patterns out to 20ft and functioned fine. Shot penetrated pop cans through and through. Not for indoor use, in my opinion.

For small problems (wasp nests) an air gun CO2 charge w/o a pellet seems to work...from 2" the muzzle blast disintegrates them.

jmlv

Ever hear the story of Dick Casull, the Mouse & the 3006?

its a funny tale of a gun crank gone wrong<VBG>
It seems Mrs Casull saw a mouse in her kitchen. Not being fond of the critters(an understatement if I ever heard one) she told her husband Dick(of 454 Casull fame) to "take care of it" dick be a bit too smart for his own good devised a plan. He set up a garand rifle on the floor loaded with a blank 30/06 cartridge. Using methods only known to him he devised a bait station which when activated pulled the trigger on the rifle. Bait was set directly in front of the muzzle of the gun. aprox 2am a loud noise was heard in the Casull household (cousing the misses to get a bit upset, you see she had no idea exactly what her husband had done.) Dick however know what had happened and went directly to the kitchen followed by his wife. What they found remains a secret to this day<VBG> lets just say their were pieces of mouse and mouse blood scattered al over the kitchen. Mrs Casull took one look at the rifle on the floor and the disasater area and told her husband you made the mess you clean it up. She returned to bed. Thus ended the budding new career of Dick Casull as an inventer of mousetraps. Thankfully he want back to designing firearms. Where he remains to this day.:D

OkieCruffler

My brother and I used blowguns on the rats in our barn when we were growing up. My personal best was a 9 inch rat. Did wonders on pidgeons as well.

Onslaught

I dunno... granted, I'm fond of some very strange types of animals... but I'm thinking a BROOM for shooing the mouse out of the garage and into the yard would have been plenty.

RATS on the other hand... I use CCI shotshells from a Ruger 10/22, since I live in a close neighborhood.

I can't wait till we move... I've got neighbors on the left, neighbors on the right, neighbors to the rear, and, thanks to the unavoidable layout of a "culdesack" (no, I don't have a CLUE how to spell it :confused: ), those left and right neighbors' front yards are nearly "in front" of my house as well.

But since I always love a good "guts" story, I can appreciate the humor :D

My uncle George once dispatched a scuba diving rat (came in via toilet) inside his home with his .45 :eek: You better believe Aunt Jeanine was pretty pi$$ed :D He's just lucky it was in the bathroom.

Bogie

Mice can't burp. They like coca-cola.

I know a guy who works in a sheet metal cutting facility where they use a big laser. Every so often they get bored. There are several holes in the roof where they missed pigeons.

dinosaur

I used to shoot rats on Rikers Island with a Ruger S/A .22. Usually on the midnight tour in the storehouse area. I usually used shot but one night I didn`t have any. They are loud BTW. I think I was using .22 shorts. I saw the rat running but lost it for a minute. I picked it up with my flashlight standing on a piece of wood about 8-10 feet away. I turned and fired one handed without really aiming. I got him throught the shoulders!:eek: Greatest, and probably never to be repeated I`ll wager, shot I ever made!:D We had some big rats!

sven

Here is a solution for ya:

beeman_scoped_small.jpg

Check out my airgun thread

Shoot safe - wear glasses (and plugs)!

-s

guyhammond

I've shot several mice with 22 shot shells, indoors. I used a single shot nylon 66. It was very quite, and the shot patern was very very hard to see.

You had to be about a foot away from the wall to see the holes.

I don't remember what brand of ammo, so i would test at the range with some scrap sheetrock. Before shooting holes in the wall.

SquirrelNuts

I found a round that I love for shooting in the yard. It is called Colibri and made by Aguila. It is a 20gr. .22LR with no powder-only a primer. Shot from my Browning Buckmark Camper, it sounds just like a BB gun. It is very quiet from a 26" barrel on my Marlin, but you are not supposed to use it in a rifle-the bullet may not make it out of the barrel. They make a Super Colibri for rifles. The Colibri is approx 325 fps, and is only accurate up to 40 feet. This might do the trick for mice. The Super Colibri is 500 fps.

-SquirrelNuts

Drjones

Call me an "anti" if you like, but whatever happened to good ol' MOUSETRAPS???

:p

Just don't use those glue-trays...caught a rat in one of those once, and my dad had to kill it with a stick. Poor little guy's skull sounded like an eggshell when he cracked it! :( He didn't even die instantly... :(

Even though they're rats, they're still living beings, and I hate to be so cruel to them. That really upset me...

Zander

That Colibri load is my favorite for dispatching 'possums that can't follow the rules on my property. I like to stalk 'em and cap 'em in the back of the head with the Beretta 21A.

A little loud out of a short barrel [can't hear anything but the action and the impact out of a single-shot rifle] but definitely not a danger to hearing.

Chuck McDonald

A Long, Long Time Ago.....

Once upon a time a Long, Long time ago in a hot, humid, nasty place far, far away......

A young Infantry lieutneant shared quarters (aka a "hooch") with abouit seven other equally young lieutenants...

Said hooch had open rafters as well as studs in the wall... basically a wood frame with sheathing nailed over the outside... not at all tight to the elements OR to critters.

The indiginous rats found great pleasure in coming in at night, eating what they found unprotected, and dumping or dribbling on anything they didn't eat... very nasty things rats.

The indiginous rats also thought it was great sport to run across the floor, dash up the wall studs and then run along the open rafters.

Naturally, this was offensive to the young lieutenant and all seven of his closest friends who shared the hooch with him.

Late one night (actually it was very early morning in truth) said lieutenant returned from a serious evening of renting beer (you don't buy beer.... you only rent it.) Getting in bed, he plopped back to try to sleep and sweat off the effects of the rented beer... that was also the moment a rat chose to dash up his cot and run the lenght of the LT's body... causing him to sit bolt upright. Almost at the same moment, he grabbed his service 1911 from the Krat box that served as his night stand.

The rat by now was just reaching the safety of one of the rafters... the good lieutenant took aim, fired the 1911 striking the rat squarly in the shoulder with a 230 gr. .45 acp ball round (who said ball ammo was not effective?)

Because we have a mixed audience we will not describe:

1. What happens to a rat when it is hit with a .45 round.

2. What it looks like when seven sleeping LTs hear firing close by in the night.

3. What the perimeter guards do when hearing firinig in the compund in the middle of the night.

4. How many 81mm mortar rounds are fired to repell the battalion size attack that is believed to be a part of the attack that includes the shot fired in the compound.

5. What a dead rat looks like when, after being hit by a .45 round, hits a LT who is still mostly asleep in the face.

6. The reaction of the sleeping LT in #5

7. How hard the first LT hits the ground when thrown out of the hooch after the attack is repulsed, the motars quit firing, Ma Duce is put back to bed and the rest of the shooting stops.

THAT, was a rat problem.

V/r

Chuck

gorlitsa

Even though they're rats, they're still living beings, and I hate to be so cruel to them. That really upset me...
Do you know how mouse traps kill those little guys? They squeeze them to death. They either suffocate or die from internal bleeding. Rat poison also results in a slow, painful death.

Getting instantly blown into a dozen pieces is much more humane. Except for the person who gets to clean up, of course.

Shalako

I have actually been quite successful lately staking out the compost pile in my backyard. It seems the local rodents enjoy stealing the choicest contributions to my pile shortly after being deposited. They are quite predictable actually. I just hope that is not considered 'baiting' in california. My best shot to date is a spine shot on a big ol basterd I had named Black Bart. I'm using a single pump .177 that I got from Harbor Freight for 19.99. Its amazing that I spend a small fortune(relative to a state worker salary) on hunting trips and get the most action in my backyard with my $20 special. (It groups 1/2" at 15 yards with Crossman match pellets!)

-Shalako

Drjones

Do you know how mouse traps kill those little guys? They squeeze them to death. They either suffocate or die from internal bleeding. Rat poison also results in a slow, painful death.

Have you ever played with one of those things? They snap HARD. I thought it broke their neck instantly...