KelTec issues

Terry A

My KelTec PF-9's firing pin doesn't hit the primer hard enough to fire the round. There's just a small dimple on the primers.

Brand new, out of the box. This is with assorted brands of ammo.

When I first contacted KelTec at 4:00 EST, the recording said they were closed. "Please call back between 9:00-3:00 PM est. Ok.

Well, I can't get thru at all during normal business hours. The tape that's run while I'm on hold says over and over that "We appreciate your patience while waiting and assure you that assistance is only moments away. There are 5 calls ahead of you and your call should be answered in less than 38 minutes."

This after being on hold for nearly 30 minutes. Still, "38 minutes or less."

I had this on my house phone line. I called KelTec on my cell phone trying to get an operator. All I need to know is if they send a shipping label, like other major firearm manufactuors. When I got to the part that said "For further assistance, please stay on the line", after being on hold for only 2-3 minutes,
a recording came on saying "I'm sorry but this mailbox is full."

This is soooooo frustrating. I currently have 22 firearms and since 1970, I've only had to ship back one other firearm. And it was a simple, easy process.

Does anybody else have similar stories with KelTec, or is this a bad time for them?

I've plugged them on here from time to time. Now, I'm kinda sorry I gave them good press.

***EDITED to add that after waiting all that time again, I got disconnected! It went silent then loud, successive beeps!

Wow!

Last edited:

Terry A

Finally got thru and the tech support fella couldn't have been more helpful or nice.
I'll report back on what they find out about the problem.

guncheese

my guess is a greasy firing pin channel since its a new gun
a good hosing with some spray cleaner and a bit of oil after
i would try that before i sent it back in

michael t

Is the frankinstine extractor bolt tight . It also hold firing pin in place If not installed properly Firing pin will not work right

Terry A

guncheese and michael t,

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have added a little more info.

Like every new firearm I've gotten, before shooting it, the weapon is cleaned and oiled. This PF-9 fires the first shot ONLY and then every other time, the primer just has the smallest of dimples. I strongly suspect the slide is not locking forward after a shot if fired.

Nonetheless, after I posted here earlier, I AGAIN dis-assembled it, put it back together and tried another magazine. First shot loaded in the chamber goes off 100& of the time. Subsequent shots go off 0% of the time.

It doesn't double-feed or stove-pipe, it just won't fire anything but single action! :eek:

Many thanks again fellas for your input and help. Much appreciated!

It's going for a trip to KelTec in the morning.

Pico

Kel-Tec Service

They will fix it but that concern if it will fire when you really need it will be there. When you get it back shoot the heck out of it.

Pico

Japle

I bought a 9mm Sub2000 a few years ago. It wouldn’t feed anything, not even ball. I live 20 minutes from the plant and I took it in. They said they’d had a bad batch of feed ramps and were replacing them. The tech took my gun in the back and in about 10 minutes I heard “BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG”.

When he brought it out it was fine. Now it feeds anything, from +P+ hollowpoints to some FMJ handloads that I screwed up by loading them way too light. Those loads won’t cycle in my SVI, Glocks, XDm or BHP, but they go 100% in the KT.

They’ll fix your gun.

Terry A

[QUOTEToday, 07:11 PM #6
Pico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They will fix it but that concern if it will fire when you really need it will be there. When you get it back shoot the heck out of it.

Pico
][/QUOTE]

Pico, oh man, I just hate the idea of having a pistol that was "fixed". Bet high my friend that I certainly will shoot the heck out of it!

This is never my primary carry. It's carried when I want an extra handgun with me.

I wouldn't feel right about selling it to anybody unless I first "shoot the heck out of it!" :D

Thank you Pico!

Terry A

Today 08:02 PM
Japle I bought a 9mm Sub2000 a few years ago. It wouldn’t feed anything, not even ball. I live 20 minutes from the plant and I took it in. They said they’d had a bad batch of feed ramps and were replacing them. The tech took my gun in the back and in about 10 minutes I heard “BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG- BANG”.

When he brought it out it was fine. Now it feeds anything, from +P+ hollowpoints to some FMJ handloads that I screwed up by loading them way too light. Those loads won’t cycle in my SVI, Glocks, XDm or BHP, but they go 100% in the KT.

They’ll fix your gun.

That's a funny story Japle!

And I hope they "FIX" fix it!

Japle

The Sub2000 is a nice, although ugly, gun. With the right loads, it would make an excellent HD gun.

I think everyone agrees that the front sight is terrible. I replaced mine with a Red Lion sight (not shown here) and opened up the rear aperture a bit. It shoots to point of aim and groups well enough for a under-100-yards SD gun.

Terry A

The KelTec was over-nighted on April 12. Last week, I sent a nice e-mail asking if they had an idea when it would come home. Friday afternoon (May 17) I got an email back saying don't expect it back until around July 1!

If they're this backed up with REPAIRS........

zeke4351

guncheese and michael t,

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have added a little more info.

Like every new firearm I've gotten, before shooting it, the weapon is cleaned and oiled. This PF-9 fires the first shot ONLY and then every other time, the primer just has the smallest of dimples. I strongly suspect the slide is not locking forward after a shot if fired.

Nonetheless, after I posted here earlier, I AGAIN dis-assembled it, put it back together and tried another magazine. First shot loaded in the chamber goes off 100& of the time. Subsequent shots go off 0% of the time.

It doesn't double-feed or stove-pipe, it just won't fire anything but single action! :eek:

Many thanks again fellas for your input and help. Much appreciated!

It's going for a trip to KelTec in the morning.[/
Sounds like you are limp wristing the little gun. Do you own and shoot other small autos? You probably should have let someone else try and shoot it before you shipped it back.

SDF880

Hope they fix your PF-9! I have 2 PF-9's and they have been flawless. I also have a sub2000, SU-16E (coverted C) , and a PLR-16 and they too have been flawless. Keltec from what I hear is hit or miss but for me Keltec has been just fine!

Terry A

Yesterday, 11:25 PM #12
zeke4351

Sounds like you are limp wristing the little gun. Do you own and shoot other small autos? You probably should have let someone else try and shoot it before you shipped it back.

Zeke,
No buddy, I don't "limp wrist" any of my 22 guns that I currently own. Since I retired as a Sgt. on a disability after 29 years 10 months in law enforcement, 10 years of which were as an assaulter on our entry team, I don't limp wrist or even flinch real bad either. :D

Lots of fellas would get their panties in a bunch if the dreaded "limp wrist" were even suggested to another shooter, but I sincerely do appreciate your input because you were simply trying to help resolve this. And yes Zeke, two of my shooter friends also tried. Same thing, no matter the type or brand of ammo.

Your suggestion is a valid one to newer shooters however and really, you had no way of knowing if I knew anything about combat shooting or not. So please know that I was just using some humor with you my friend!

I'll let you know what Keltec says, if anything, whenever I get this little bugger back!

JasonJ

I dont think its that they're that backed up with REPAIRS only.. not only are they upgrading the facility, which always slows down production, but they are also in a mad rush to produce enough product as well.. and I am sure they don't have anywhere near as much staff as we think they do.

orionengnr

I had four Kel-Tecs. The factory Help Line was great...but none of the pistols were ever reliable enough to carry. I spent a lot of money on mags, ammo, springs, etc.

I sold each with full disclosure at a big loss.

I learned my lesson.

K-T will never see another dime of my money.

YMMV, and I sincerely hope it does. But if not, remember my words.

Justice06RR

Terry, sorry to hear about your issue with your Keltec and their CS.

I also owned a brand new PF9 in the past. It was a jam-o-matic from the beginning. Stovepipes, FTE's, etc. On a brand new pistol! I really liked the PF9 for its size and looks and wanted to keep it, but I could not get over the issues with the handgun so I sold it a couple of months later.

Good luck with the repairs and I would say be patient. I would bet they get a lot of repair and warranty work in their facility which is why you get such long delays.

Chowder

I had a PF-9 that I sent back for repairs also. It took some time but came back with a new slide, polished feed ramp, an extra mag that I didn't send with it and a letter detailing all the repairs. I was annoyed at the time I waited but they most certainly stood by the product and made sure I was happy with my gun.

Mosin44az

So Terry A, did Kel-tec pay for shipment to them? That would be a new policy for them.

If not, they might reimburse if you ask for it.