Kel-Tec PF9 Range Report

Boarhunter

Guys,

After putting 50 rounds downrange rather quickly, I have the following brief report to make regarding serial number 2X. Nope, that is not a typo; this is real early production we are talking about here, it would appear!

The gun shoots extremely well. The sights are well-adjusted, the trigger pull is light and smooth, and the gun shoots extraordinary groups for a pocket pistol. I put 50 rounds of 9 mm hardball downrange without the first bobble whatsoever. As flat and small and light as it is, it should put the snubby pocket revolvers out of business (particularly holding eight rounds rather than the typical five or six). I can shoot it far more accurately than I can a j-frame Smith. It is the perfect summer gun, particularly here in the hot south.

The only apparent downside after 50 rounds? My strong hand started shaking like I had the palsy toward the end of the box of ammo! You can only shoot so much 9 mm out of a 12 ounce gun before suffering some of the effects.

I hope it gets better before my IDPA match tonight or my scores will suck even worse than normal!

This gun is not likely to replace my Springfield EMP, but for an inexpensive, lightweight gun of adequate power and exceptional accuracy, it will be tough to beat.

Boarhunter

Logs

I have put 200 rounds through my PF9, I like it a lot. I need to order a few more mags for the range. Great sized gun for the money. I notice CDNN had them for $229 in the latest catalog, wonder if they have any in stock???? I gave $239 + tax for mine.

Boarhunter

The PF9 may not be a braggin' gun, but it will sure do the job it was intended to handle. And at a price none can criticize.

Boarhunter

Boarhunter

Chris in Va:

I have no personal response for you, having never fired or handled a P11. The trigger pull on the PF 9, though, is fairly long, but surprisingly light and very smooth. After putting a few rounds downrange, I got accustomed to the pull without much trouble, and I am a 1911 single-action man by preference. So, it is not an insurmountable problem.

Boarhunter

Boarhunter

For your general information, I have asked my buddy to post comparative pictures of both the PF-9 and the Springfield EMP. They should be up here soon.

Boarhunter

solvability

How about this.

P5310161.jpg

P5310159.jpg

P5310156.jpg

Boarhunter

Allenomics,

I guess everything is relative, but the trigger pull on my personal PF-9 seems exceptionally light compared to a number of other DAO pistols and revolvers I have fired over the years. And very smooth. I have several j-frame Smith revolvers and none are as smooth or as light as the PF-9.

It certainly does not compare with the crisp pull of a slicked 1911, obviously, but it (mine, at least) is completely satisfactory for its purposes.

I wonder if we have a case of erratic quality control?

Boarhunter

Boone Hillbilly

I have been interets in this guns for a while now(among a million others).. Seems to be a 50/50 as to the ones that like it and the ones that dont.. Anymore info from anyone woudl be great!
-Matt

Pappy John

Boarhunter, I like the trigger on my PF-9 too. Mine isn't 100% reliable yet....still having a few jams. Accurate little beast though. I just got a new magazine to try out on the jamming issue.

CherokeeTad

I'm with allenomics as I don't like the trigger pull either on my PF9. I also shoot a DAO Taurus 605 hammerless (along w/other pistols) and the Taurus has a much better trigger pull IMHO. I'm sure all PF9's don't shoot exactly the same as most guns don't and maybe we just got the ones with the bad triggers. I did the fluff and buff/lube on my PF9 and it didn't malfunction but, IMHO, it is strictly a closeup 5 yard carry gun as accuracy suffers due to the bad trigger. A guy over on the KTOG forum pm'd me after I posted there and said he had over a 1,000 rounds thru his PF9 and he still hated the trigger pull as it never did get better. I have to admit it is the perfect size for CC.
BTW, that EMP is sweet.

chris in va

Alright I found a PF9 at the gun show this weekend. Trigger pull is much lighter than my P11, even after I did the 'mod' on mine. Reach is about the same.

But, the thing is VERY thin. Frankly I didn't like that since it felt like holding a credit card. It's what, 3/4" thick? I'll pass and stick with my P11.

allenomics

It's probably at least a 12 pound pull, but the worst part in the very long distance you must pull to fire a round. As I mentioned on another post, I'd be surprised if the average person could fire 50 consecutive rounds and still hit a target at just seven yards. Another TFL member called the impact on the shooter "palsey-like." That's not far off.