Kel Tec PF-9

Eric M.

I've carried mine for many years. I have purchased and carried many different pistols, but always ended up going back to my trusty PF 9.
As suggested, try to shoot a PF 9 before you buy one.
Many of my shooting friends hate it because of the extreme bark that comes with shooting it.

Eric

Clark

I have the PF-9 and really like it, but I mostly carry the P3AT with a laser.

If I could make a pocket clip for the PF-9 that is as good at looking like a pocket knife as the P3AT, I would carry the PF9 more often.

With handloads I have got 1100 fps with 90 gr in the P3AT
With handloads I have got 1336 fps with 124gr in the PF9.

So the PF9 is much stronger medicine.

SDF880

I have 2 PF-9's and a few years ago they were my EDC and I still on occasion (like now) carry one around. My PF-9's have been flawless and shoot well I have never had any issues. I ended up buying a Kahr PM-9 and then a CM-9 and they have replaced for now the PF-9's as my EDC. I have nothing against the PF-9's just liked the fit, feel, finish, and shooting the Kahrs better.

michael t

My PF-9 is over 3 years old. Never had the 1st bit of trouble . Pocket carries in my jeans or IWB Either way will almost forget its their . Taking time to aim I have done head shots at 15 yds .Mine shoots little low but little Ky elevation and right on target. I think KT has a cure for the low shooting. I looking at front night sight for mine . I have been getting away from 3 dots as my eyes age . Just front sight dot now

I have a CW-9 front sight has shot loose, and Iam no better with it than the KelTec .

Their now 5 KelTecs in my house 3 P-32 are carry for wife and daughters . P3AT and PF-9 are mine. All been trouble free .

Eric M.

Can't go wrong with a Kel Tec

I had a P 32 that I carried for awhile, but went back to my PF-9 because of the better knock down power of the 9mm.

Eric

Eric M.

As stated, the PF-9 is my favorite carry gun, but I would guess that 80% of shooters don't like it for one reason or another.
A small carry gun is a very personalized weapon.

Eric

ligonierbill

Since I started this, I need to update. I bought one, cleaned and lubed it (no Dremel tool or "fluff and buff"), and took it to the range this morning. Banged away with the Blazer Brass 115's I had left (about 80 rounds) and had absolutely no problems. Adjusted the rear sight (like the sights) and found the little pistol pretty accurate. I need to shoot it more, and I found no reason to avoid that. It acts like a much shrunken version of my Glock 23, same "snappy" recoil and almost the same fairly light long pull trigger. The grip did try to sandpaper the web between my thumb and forefinger, but my shovel time in the yard and garden has toughened my hide. I'll be shooting the little Kel Tec regularly, and my tune will change if it starts to come apart, but I doubt it will. I like the pistol.

gb_in_ga

I carry a PF-9, it is my EDC. It is light, flat and compact, I really like it. When I first bought it NIB back in '07 I gave it a thorough clean and lube and took it to the range with 100 rounds. For that 1 range session it jammed (fail to feed) pretty bad. After the range session I took it home, did another thorough clean and lube and went back to the range with another 100 rounds. Flawless. And it has been flawless ever since. It feeds everything I give it, no problems. No F&B needed. The only things I'd change about it is to ditch the rail and to give it some sort of second strike capability.

My BIL in Fla got one about a year and a half ago. His has been problematic. I'm not sure if he has sent it in to Keltec for servicing or if he has done a F&B.

So, apparently they can be hit or miss.

I find the grip on the PF-9 they are too skinny for my big hands. The are great pistols however.

Yeah, I've got big hands, too. And yeah, the grip is skinny. It isn't all that big of a deal to slip one of those "grip fatteners" on them, but I haven't done that. The slimness is a PITA when shooting it, but it is a blessing when carrying it. I can live with it.

Last edited:

huskytaio

It is my briefcase gun, and pocket gun on last minute trips to store or CVS.
My friend had a Keltec in .32, and he said he had problems, and with the great Keltec customer service, he told me to expect problems first time out, ship back and no cost and you would get a reliable gun.

Our first session with PF9, I had light primer hits and he had his slide lock open sometimes with rounds in mag. I also had a few failure to feed with WWB.

We sent them back and they have been flawless since. It has been perfect with Fed 9BP, Fed Nyclads, Speer 124+P (which I don't recommend due to recoil), Federal Hydrashocks and I put a hundred rounds of my carry load, the Fed 124 HST with no malfunctions. For practice ammo, use Federal or anything BUT WWB.

I do reloading and took my micrometer to different bullets, and the WWB OAL was all over the place. Some rounds were so long they probably dragged up the mag tube.

Best $9 investment I ever made was putting on Hogue rubber grips upside down and a little trimming near magwell. It went from a painful gun to shoot to an easy gun to shoot. Before the Hogue, I would shoot one handed, and the gun would torgue in my hand, despite the death grip on it. With Hogue, it turns it totally into a different gun, and adds very little bulk. As you know with a light weight gun, it is critical to maintain a very tight grip. I carry the PF9 in my front pocket with the Desantis holster.

Granted, my Glocks and Sigs are my front line SD weapons, but here in Florida, this is a quick pistol to just grab and put in your pocket.

ligonierbill

I like my Glock 23, and with a Crossbreed Supertuck, I can actually carry her. But she's still a pretty big pistol. This little Kel Tec fills the bill so far.

Walt Sherrill

I've had several of the smaller guns, starting with a P3AT, going to an LCP, having shot a LC9, and carrying a Kahr P9 for a while. I also had a Kel-Tec P11, which was OK, but didn't suit me.

I really liked the Kahr P9, but someone made me an offer I couldn't resist. I've had a K-T PF9 for several years now, and picked up a CM9 recently in a trade. I like the CM9 well enough, and find it more pleasant to shoot than the PF9, but I'm not sure I want to get rid of the PF9.

If I can figure a way to broaden the PF9 grip a bit more, I'll probably stick with the PF9

t45

Its my main carry gun. I could carry others but it has proven reliable and fits my needs perfectly.

Okcafe86

I just bought one and shot it today. It ate everything I fed it, including reloads. Quiet snappy but that's to be expected. All of its faults are everything to be expected in a compact carry. It's the same for any brand. I carry it and I'm confident it will go bang when I pull the trigger.