Kel Tec PF-9

ligonierbill

Yeah, I did a search, but I gotta ask. Who carries one, and what do you have to say about it? I've had a P32 for a few years, and it has been reliable with ball, hollowpoints, handloads, and Buffalo Bore specials. Not as pretty as a Seecamp, and I should probably buy one of those just for the art. But it has been a practical mouse. Looking at the "micro" 9's, they're all somewhat of a compromise, and I guess pretty "lively" to shoot. That's fine. Looking for personal experience. Hey, my Glock is ugly as sin, but just as deadly. I have some elegant pistols, but I'm thinking farm implement practical here.

Walt Sherrill

I've got one that I've carried, off and on, over the past couple of years. I've tried other guns, (including the P3AT and the LCP) and prefer the PF9 to those guns. I like the Kahr P9 better, and have a CM9 I've not tried out yet.

The P-11 was a reliable gun that I could never master; the trigger was more than I wanted to learn to use. The PF9 trigger is much better, and a P-11 with the PF9 mechanism might be the best KT they could offer. (They are supposedly working on that particular gun, but it may be years before we see it.)

It's a harsh gun, and not one you'll spend time plinking with at the range. I added the KTADDONS grip material and it makes it a bit more pleasant to shoot.

Warning: if you're thinking about getting one, you really need to find someone locally who'll let you try one out -- as some folks seem to be unable to make K-T pistols work for them. I don't think it's their fault or that they're bad shooters, but the guns and the shooters just aren't a good fit.

Joe Demko

Had one. Sold it. Don't want another.
It needed several weeks back at the factory due to various and sundry problems. When I got it back, despite Keltec having replaced everything but the serial number, it was pissy about bullet profiles.
When I first got it, I was enthused about it being thin and flat. It was still too long and tall for pocket carry. If I am carrying on a belt, there are way better choices. Trigger was grody. Accuracy was lackluster. Durability was suspect.
I cannot recommend.

foxytwo

I have carried one for over a year and I like it. It has a problem with WWB and Atlanta arms reloads, but will shoot all other ammo I have tried. It is not a range gun, after about 15 or 20 shots it is time to shoot another pistol that is fun to shoot. The trigger is long like a revolver but it is no problem once you get used to it. I have a few hundred rounds through mine and really like it for its concealability.

I have had 2 one was about as perfect as possible in this size pistol. the other one did not perform well it shot way low of point of aim like 12" at 15' I sold the one that was bad and kept the good one. It has been very reliable. I added the trigger shoe and it improved the way the trigger felt.

skoro

Who carries one, and what do you have to say about it?

Mine's gotten quite a bit of carry duty over the past 5+ years. It's real good for pocket carry (my only mode) and it's been very reliable through about 1000 rounds. Not particularly accurate beyond 5 yards or so and not something you'll get very attached to, but that's a-ok in my book for a carry piece.

Dirty_Harry

I use to carry mine in my pocket. It went bang everytime and was accurate. Had a good amount of snap, but thats to be expected. I traded it to my brother as I prefer my Smith and Wesson 642 for pocket carry.

Pukindog12

Had one. I had to get it to run reliably with help from Kel Tec CS which is awesome. Had it until I stumbled upon a Kahr CW9 and was promptly sold after. Was an ok gun but there are better options out there.

ligonierbill

As I expected...love 'em or hate 'em. For the price, I have to find out for myself. So I ordered one (FWIW all in it will cost $260). If you don't see a rant from me in a couple months, you'll know it worked out.

SVTCobra306

Recurring theme here.. most seem to have "had one and sold it". Including me. Mine ran fine, I did the "Kel Tec Fluff and Buff" on it to make sure. It did have some light primer strikes on Tulammo, but seemed to eat everything else just fine.

I dumped mine because a LGS had an LC9 w/laser on sale for $299, and I wanted to upgrade to something with a little more beef on it to be less harsh on the hand. When your PF9 shows up, get a Hogue Handall Jr. for it, it's a must-have for that pistol.

Walt Sherrill

I dumped mine because a LGS had an LC9 w/laser on sale for $299, and I wanted to upgrade to something with a little more beef on it to be less harsh on the hand. When your PF9 shows up, get a Hogue Handall Jr. for it, it's a must-have for that pistol.

I've shot both and didn't feel much difference in recoil. Both of them would benefit from using the KTADDONS grip material. It's a strip of absorbent material on the front and back straps covered by a Handall-like grip cover. It does make a difference.

The LC9 is a more attractive weapon -- although in most respects its a close copy/rip-off of the PF9. I guess since Ruger didn't have to spend a lot of time and money developing LC9 functionality, they could afford to spend more money on "looks."

claydoctor

I have both the P3AT and the PF9. I have a problem with KelTec triggers. On both, the trigger comes to a sharp point and due to the shape, seems to bite my fingertip. I tried their trigger shoe but it fell off and I haven't seen it since. No doubt that both are bare bones guns but they seem reliable and in my experience, go bang when they are supposed to. They must have impressed Ruger.

Walt Sherrill

There are aftermarket metal triggers available for both the P3AT and PF9, and that might be worth looking into. I will if I decide to keep my PF9.

(The P3AT trigger guard hit my trigger finger when firing; the LCP from Ruger, which has a subtly different shape, did not. They're both too painful for me; I like the 9mm Kel-Tec and Rugers pocket guns better.)

skizzums

i hated mine, was my third pistol, bought it for the price after selling my sccy, i didnt know they were pretty much the exact same gun. CS was okay and they repaired my gun after stovepiping 20% of the time and light strikes more than that. but still never worked 100% reliably and was very difficult for ME to shoot accurately. so after the sccy and the kel-tec landed on a shield and have no regrets.

magnut

i have played with them a bit and ended up with the p11 instead. I didnt feel it was really that much smaller than a p11 which was more comfortable to shoot by a long shot...for me. Honestly the p11 is small enough for a 9mm. Even ankle carry is easy with a p11.

The only real downside is if you must carry with a round in the chamber. If thats the case I would look at the Pf9 instead as there is an off chance a p11 can go off when dropped.

all that being said I will probably pick up a pf9 when I find the right deal. Its a good little pistol and keltec deals are often easy to find as people seem to either love them or hate them. all my keltecs (6) have always worked 100% and i think they make a quality product. i have no idea why people have so many issues with them. The designs they use are pretty straight forward.

also check out the taurus slim and millennium pistols. I put them right in there with the kel tecs size wise and the prices are pretty close. the millenniums are pretty underrated guns in the ccw world. People seem to overlook them.

SVTCobra306

The LC9 is a more attractive weapon -- although in most respects its a close copy/rip-off of the PF9. I guess since Ruger didn't have to spend a lot of time and money developing LC9 functionality, they could afford to spend more money on "looks."

I kinda liked the PF-9's looks a little bit more, but the LC9 is much more "shootable" for me. I used to shoot a couple of mags worth out of the Kel Tec and be done, not want any more. The LC9 I'll shoot a whole box without trouble, and I don't have a grip sleeve on it. Might be partially the laser adding weight, but IMO the whole pistol feels like it weighs about one and a half times that of the Kel Tec. The trigger is long, but not as water-pistol mushy as the PF9 was.

Onward Allusion

I have a PF9. Bought it new and put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I haven't shot it since. Recoil was snappy and backstrap's "tail" made my thumb knuckle bleed. The recoil I could deal with, but the gun just did not fit my hand. I went with the P11 pistols instead.

Pyzon

These little pocket guns will probably work good for you, IF:

You do not use WWB, weak reloads or other cheap ammo.

If you do the "fluff and buff". Google it.

If you figure out what "limp wristing" is and learn to not do it.

Skip one or all of these and you will be less than happy with it.

blackamos

The reason I bought and carry one is the weight vs power is the best I could find. I had a hard time with the trigger at first but after a few hundred rounds I got better with it. It is not a target pistol buy acceptable for a defensive carry gun. It was cheap, it has never failed to work and it is very easy to carry. Not a lot of bells and whistles but they come with a price, both dollars and weight.