keeping notes

Shadow9mm

I have always struggles with keeping notes. Generally I work a load up in a couple stages, and in the end if I like the load I write it down on a 3x5 card and that is what I reference back to. I am thinking keeping a reloading journal would be helpful, but I am unsure of what data and notes I should keep and how to keep it organized. I am also debating on whether one journal would be good, or if I should have journals for each cartridge. Or whether there is some software I could use to help organize my data and let me search it. just the sheer volume of chronograph data I have is daunting. I have tried making charts in excel to keep track of my chronograph testing and have found that to be a challenge.

am I over thinking this? how do you guys keep your data and notes organized? I feel like I have an unorganized mess of data and want to get it straightened up.

Last edited:

Metal god

I keep every target and corresponding data I've done in load development . I started out with one binder for every rifle I load for .

The binder would start with a general data page of every bullet I load and the jam BTO measurement for each .

Then the desired CBTD ( case headspace ) measurement .

Dope of the reticle using the best load I've chosen .

Round count and dates

Next was the data it self which was separated by powders . I'd have tabs that would have the specific powder . Once you turn to those tabs I'd then have that powder divided into bullet types then weights and I have every target and data sheet I've ever worked up . OK not "every" one of them but most of my rifle data I have and a good bit of my hand gun data .

I to then have index cards with all my best loads in a index card box separated by cartridge then rifle for quick references .

This was my Load data sheet , It's now just one data area with a large lower section for notes for each charge increment .

4hIfsr.jpg

Targets like this or similar so the data sheet and target go in a binder well together .

p3pBOf.jpg

A lot of guys use a PDF format or the like . I'm not computer savey enough to do that . Nor do I trust electronics to store my life time of data only to see it disappear in a second when I get the blue screen of death . I have three dead computers in my basement with my kids pictures and videos on I can no longer see but won't throw them out because I know that data is in there somewhere . Yeah yeah I can print out the data sheets or save them on a thumb drive . The thing is , It's already written down from the range trip . No need to reenter all that data , scan targets again . Three hole punch and toss in the correct binder and I'm done .

Over the years I've had to go back and look through my data several times for a variety of reasons . Once I had to pull all my targets for a specific rifle to find a problem I never saw when looking at them one at a time weeks apart .

Hell a couple months ago I was going to work up a new load and got already to start loading but thought , lets take a look and see If I've worked this up before . Sure enough I had already worked up the exact same components in the same rifle like 7 years earlier . You do this long enough you're bound to repeat your self if you're not careful lol .

Last edited:

603Country

Regarding the dead computers and un recovered pictures, I had that problem too. Not knowing what to do, I pulled the hard drives and put them in a drawer. A few years later, in the hopes that the data could be recovered, I took the hard drives to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They recovered everything and put it on a solid state hard drive. Thank goodness.

akinswi

I keep a note book in my range bag, with all my load data. Then I keep all my targets. That way I can correspond what load data for what target. I also keep notes on how I loaded everything so if I did change something I know exactly what it was.

I struggled with keeping them for years, But after I made it a habit one the best things I ever did.

For some paticular guns, I keep a separate note book for them especially if they shoot the same cartridge. I have load data for that rifle. What it likes and zeros etc

Shadow9mm

So, I have been trying to organize by cartridge. 9mm, 223, 38spl ect. Based on what im reading, organizing by fiream is what i should be doing. And that makes more sense honestly.

I hear you about the computers. Thats one of the reasons i was hesitant to put everything on the computer.

Don't forget to consider the commercial match data record books. Jim Owens has good ones for regular match and long range. The standard ones are available in slightly dinged condition for half price. Match shooters typically buy one for each rifle in order to keep track of the number of rounds that have been through each barrel as well as any special load preferences the gun has. Owen's website has a number of articles you can read that are a good resource, though a few of the links are broken.

The old Lee Shooter program that Lee Precision used to sell includes a reloading log that's a decent start. Lee no longer sells the program, supposedly because it doesn't run under Windows 10 and the developer wasn't interested in updating it. In reality, the program itself runs fine under Windows 10, it's only the installer that won't run. But it works if you run the installer under compatobility mode.

Don't know if you can find a copy of Lee Shooter somewhere. It wasn't expensive, and there should be copies out there, somewhere.

akinswi

Don't forget to consider the commercial match data record books. Jim Owens has good ones for regular match and long range. The standard ones are available in slightly dinged condition for half price. Match shooters typically buy one for each rifle in order to keep track of the number of rounds that have been through each barrel as well as any special load preferences the gun has. Owen's website has a number of articles you can read that are a good resource, though a few of the links are broken.
Looks they are Sold Out.

Shadow9mm

I got all my chronograph data transcribed from the app into some excel spreadsheets on a, by gun basis, took a bit. Now I can go forward recording the data by gun and with all the pertinent data.

I need to start working on some binders by gun.

Last edited:

RC20

I use a spiral notebook at the range. I record that Powder, charge, bullet and COAL on one line.

Then beneath it the FPS ES and SD (I really only look at the FPS and ES and mildly at ES)

I make a note of Very good, good, decent, ok etc and what the group size was.

Then if its a good load it goes into the Logbook at home.

If you do it on a computer you should save it to a thumb drive. Those are pretty well imperious to failure. Run them through the washer and one dropped outside in the snow I found in the spring. It still worked.

ballardw

Then if its a good load it goes into the Logbook at home.

I would suggest recording "bad" loads as well. That way when your memory gets like mine you don't end up trying that load again because there wasn't any entry in the log book.

cdoc42

I have a metal filing cabinet on wheels which is only 28 inches high, 18 long x 13 wide. It has one shelf below the file storage area above. It holds roughly 40 hanging file holders and I have one standard letter-sized file folder in a holder for each rifle and handgun.

I keep all my targets and each has the load data on the target. Periodically I have reviewed all targets contained for each rifle/handgun and I keep a list of the best loads I have found for each on a paper taped to the inside of the folder, available for review as you open it.

I finally did this after having experienced what some have reported here - repeating load experiments only to find I had already done it.

Sevens

My log is EXTREMELY simple and yet, extremely detailed and searching and finding nearly anything is also very easy.

I opened an Excel spreadsheet about ten years ago. On the far left margin in the very first column is a date and an entry follows.

I log everything I produce at the load bench. I log every range trip and I enjoy keeping strict round counts on all the guns I own.

Logging all of this does take some time and effort but I find it very powerful and useful.

It exists on my computer’s hard drive but I also back it up often to flash drives.

std7mag

I have and use the MTM Casegard Reloaders log book.

3 ring binder with index tab pages for separating multiple firearms.
Pages for loads. Firearm, cartridge, bullet, powder, powder charge weight, COAL, notes.
Different sized targets.
Pages for range day results
And if you need more of any of the pages, run it through a copier, punch the holes and your good to go!

Unkl Chuck

I use a small 4X6 spiral note book with a couple of sections. Front is range notes, back is loading notes. Keep it in my range box or on the loading bench. Keeps my OCD in some sort of check.
I've got an old loose leaf 'Shooters Notebook' that I seldom use as it's too big to tote around.
:)

Nick_C_S

I log every load I make - no matter how small the batch is. My lastest log book (an Excell file, actually) I started was in late 2012. A couple days ago, I loaded #983 - gonna roll over to "000" here pretty soon ;)

Anyway, I keep it simple:
Date
Chamber
Bullet
Propellant/charge weight
Quantity
Primer
Notes.

AzShooter

If you can find one get an MTM Handloading Log. I has space for all your loading data and test targets that you can use and put back in the 3 ring binder for all times. I hope they are still in print.

Mine has lasted 30 years and I have all my loading data in there so I can repeat the good ones and eliminate what didn't work for me.

rclark

I use a spreadsheet. I don't keep around the sample shot data. Just the results which is all that matters.

So all that entries in my spreadsheet are formatted as follows for each cartridge:

powder,bullet,primer,average velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread, number of shots, barrel length, and notes.

Example .357 entry,
7.5gr Herco, 158gr SWC, CCI-500, 1140, 18, 57, 14, 5 1/2”, Accurate (like)

I have another scratch pad spreadsheet where I place the chrono data to get the average, SD, ES which just gets overwritten by subsequent chrono data. Of the chrono data is still in the notebook where I placed it to begin with at the range. But have never went back to that data. Not important.

Works for me.

Oh, if worthy, I will start a writer document on a firearm where I write down changes to the firearm, pictures of targets, the gun, when bought, serial number, who made changes, favorite loads, etc. Basically a log of important things (to me) I want to keep track of for that particular firearm.

Last edited: