• Kahr PM9

Votes: 76 69.1%
  • Kahr PM45

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 15 13.6%

• Total voters

vyse.04

Thanks again for everyone that responded. I went out to the range yesterday and ended up getting a....... Blackened K9. This might be a long report, but we'll see. First let me say that the PM9 pictures in no way, shape, or form due the gun justice. Those things are SMALL (which is the point). I couldn't warm up to the grip on the PM9 or MK40, so I decided to rent a P45 since they didn't have a PM45 in stock/for range use.

Fired two magazines through it, and the magazine would drop every 3 to 4 shots. The first time it happened, I checked my grip. The second time it happened, I completely moved my thumb off of the side. The third time it happened, it REALLY started to get annoying. So I let my friend shoot it to completely remove me from the equation, even though I shot the second magazine through it with him watching my hand. He got three shots off then set it down (magazine dropped twice on him). I swapped out the magazine after it fell apart with one round left in it, and got a brand new one from the range because I really wanted this gun to work. The trigger was very smooth, and the grip felt great.

Needless to say, the new magazine did not fix the issue. A few of the people who worked at the gun shop mentioned having the same issues as me, so they ended up sending the Kahr out for repairs. So, I swapped the P45 out for a Glock 36 (I brought a few boxes of .45 ammo that I wanted to get rid of). Zero issues with the Glock, and I was actually quite accurate with it as well. To be fair to the Kahr, I think I was more focused on catching the magazine than I was shooting it so I wasn't really going for accuracy. The G36 really fit my hand well, and this was another gun that I wanted to compare with the PM45.

I decided to take a look at another Kahr, so I rented a TP9 since it was the closest range rental in comparison to the used K9 that they were selling. On this one the slide would go forward if you inserted the magazine by tapping it in place. This also led to FTFs/FTEs. After the first magazine I started sliding them in with a little less force so the slide wouldn't drop and everything was great. I fired some decent groups, and the trigger was just as smooth. There was an obvious issue with this firearm as well, but since it was only being shot on the range, I didn't bother swapping it out.

After shooting 50 rounds through it, I went back in to the gun store and held the K9 (for about the third time today). I have always preferred metal firearms to polymer, but figured I would try something new on the next handgun purchase. Well, I didn't. The K9's extra weight, and slightly larger grip felt great. The gun almost looked brand new, aside from a few small spots where the finish is wearing down. The trigger was just as smooth as the other Kahr's I had fired too. Also, I don't think I would want to go much smaller than the K9. I really considered my options and since I wouldn't pocket carry, I figured it would be best to go with something a little bit larger but still very concealable. I never even considered this gun because all of the pictures make it look huge compared to the PM/MK series, but it is still very slim compared to most of the other firearms on the market.

I've never heard anyone mention the issues I had with the Kahrs, so it might have been a fluke. The gun shop said they don't sell many Kahrs in the first place, so I am sure their range weapons get very little love as well. All in all it was a great day at the range, but I only wish that I didn't have to drive back up there in two days to get my gun (crazy waiting period). Even after my experience I would still recommend checking them out.

bikerbill

Never fired a PM45, but my PM9 has been my regular carry gun since I got my plastic in '04 and it has NEVER failed in any way since new ... recoil is acceptable and the gun is accurate at SD distances and easy to get back on target ... a flyweight .45 doesn't sound like much fun to me, but others seem to like it ...

fleegs

KHAR PM45

I am a new member and am looking forward to getting recommendations and input from people that know alot more than I about firearms in general.I purchased the Kahr pm45 after seeing one in the local gun shop.I carry a smith&wesson 9mm compact but look forward to having the option of carring a small subcompact 45 that barks less than it bites.I thought I read the reviews and new what to do with it.Wrong!!!! Ishould have read that another member recommende not using the white box winchester 45 auot ammo for range use.I had bought 200 rounds of this ammo and preceded to go to the range and ram 160 rounds(to painfull to continue and I dont mean phyisical pain)I had 2 of 5 rounds jam with each 5 round mag.I went home and cleaned and lubed the pistol chomping at the bit to go back with the old reliable blazer brass 230 grn fmj.Iwent back to the range and shot 150 rounds with NO JAMS.This is in my opinion the sweetest litle 45 auto for carry.I went from wondering if I had made a mistake to a confident owner who would or will trust his life with this pistol.I learned to read this forum to get the real info.Thanks

stevekolt

For me, the PM9 fit a particular niche. As a NRA Instructor, Kahr has a great purchase program that allows me to buy up to two pistols a year direct from them at a significant discount, as long as I agree to use the pistol when teaching, and keeping it for at least a year. No worries there as the PM9 is definitely a keeper. Flawless out of the box, and in a FIST IWB holster, it disappears.

I have been thinking about adding a PM45, but the PM9 does such a good job for small concealable pistol, that my next step up in size and caliber for IWB is currently a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. When the Kimber is a bit too big, the PM9 is absolutely perfect. Also own a J frame and a P3AT, but the Kahr and Kimber see the lion's share of use comparatively.

Oldjarhead

Kahr PM9 a winner

I love the .45acp and own two 1911s. But for me, living in the hot climate of central Texas, I wanted a good reliable pocket carry gun. I got the Kahr PM9 with the black slide and trigger, and night sights. I like it's match grade barrel and is very accurate at combat distances. A good load for carry is the Speer Gold Dot +P 124g for short barrels. Check out some good video reviews on the Kahr PM9 and the PM45 at : www.tacticaltim.com.

CWKahrFan

Yeah, I recently watched The Brave One again and I'm pretty sure the seller even identifies it in dialogue as "a Kahr K9"... an unusual brand & model reference for movies.

tomwalshco

NJ & CW are right - Jodie was tagging those guys with a K9. All steel. Closer in size to the CW9. One of their early models. Looks very much like a Smith 3913 w/o the safety. I'm sure it's a great shooter, but around 30 oz loaded.

To the OP - I guess your 1st decision will have to be which round do you want? From what I have read, the newer PM45s are much more reliable. Have a PM9, CW9 and a P380 myself. Often covet a PM45, but I have a G36 & a Colt Defender, so I can shake off that temptation without too much pain.

littleman

I have the PM9 and am well pleased with it. I had a CW45; never had a problem with it. I've not had a PM45, though. The PM 9 is only a tiny bit larger than the micro 380s.

PM45 ammunition recommendations?

I am curious to hear which types of ammunition you have found that work reliably and consistently in your Kahr PM45.

On the range prior to my PM45 (manufactured November 2008, factory remanufactured February 2011) being returned to Kahr (August 2011) I experienced:
- 100 rounds Winchester white box gave me many failure to feed and failure to eject
- 100 rounds Remington green box UMB was about the same as the Winchester white box
- 3 rounds Herters International Select Grade 230gr FMJ from Cabellas.
When chambering these steel case bullets the third round jammed unfired in the barrel so tightly that I had to leave the range and take it to a gunsmith for removal

After my PM45 returned, I ran a box of Speer Lawman through it and had only five FTF/FTE out of the box of 100
- Some might feel 95% performance is acceptable but I am not so thrilled.

To this end, I am hoping to learn from other's experience.

If you have found a type of ammunition that produces excellent results with the PM45 perhaps you might reply with the details?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ScottieG59

What about the Kahr PM40?

I carry a Glock 27 and at times, it does seem large for light summer clothes. I always hear good things about the Kahr PM9, but I hear little about the PM40. Some have the PM40 and like it. I understand the 9mm is better than the old stuff, but those improvements made the larger ammo better too.

I have a Kahr P380 and once it was broken in and I figured what ammo it likes, it has been reliable. I think it is well made, though it is not normally my carry gun.

The Kahr PM9 looks fine, but why is the PM40 out of the running? Is it recoil?

orionengnr

The size difference is negligible as I do not plan on pocket carrying either of them

The size difference is far from negligible. The PM9 is a good bit smaler/lighter than the PM45.

I have owned both the PM9 and the PM45...and the P45 as well.
My PM9 is a 100% reliable EDC, and has been so for five years or so..

My PM45 was a 95% reliable, and is long gone.

The P45 is 100% reliable, but is not a true pocket carry gun.

I have not owned a PM40, but have read of some reliability issues. As the size of the pistol diminshes, the margin of error diminshes.

Dashunde

^ The 9 is still substancially smaller, especially when trying to conceal it.
Both of my PM9's have been great.

Mello2u

vyse.04,

Have you considered the PM40?

It is the same size as the PM9 (but one less round) and about the same power as the .45ACP. I have the PM40. I have not shot it much (less than 100 rounds). I have not had any problems. I am not recoil sensitive.

jwalker497

The PM40 is slightly wider, much more noticeable in person that it appears on paper. Also ever so slightly longer - which I dont think is noticeable.

vmo111

I pocket carry the PM45 everyday as a backup to my Commander .45. The PM45 has been a flawless shooter since day one. I did a break-in of 100 WWB and then moved to 50 Golden Sabers without any issues. I have about 900 rounds thru the pistol now with out any issues since the first 25 or so WWBs. The biggest plusses to this setup for me is that I can keep this gun in my offside pocket and dip my hand into the pocket when I get hinky, and I can just carry one 1911 mag and reload either weapon with it. The Kahr doesn't always lock back when empty with the 1911 mag, but that would be the least of my worries if it ever gets to that point.

Vmo

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I didn't realize that I had been lurking that long. I just don't have much to say. Long time shooter, avid listener, not very vocal.

Roland Thunder

To me it just doesn't make sense to carry a 45 for ccw. For ccw, the best thing to have is something that is as light weight as possible, with as little kick as possible but still potent enough to disable an assailent. That would make the PM9 the best choice, IMHO. 9mm has enough kick of it's own in that size gun, I could only imagine a .45 or .40 in a pocket pistol.