Kahr for Carry?

Dave P

Finally got rid of my mouse gun, and picked up a used K9. What is the consensus on carrying cocked and "locked"? I have no problem with a 1911 in condition 1, but the Kahr has no sfety lever, of course. Does most everyone trust the built in safeties to carry a round in the tube?

22Shooter

With a holster covering the trigger guard, I trust the Kahr trigger with a round chambered for carry.

The Kahr trigger must be pulled to complete cocking the striker, so it is not "cocked and locked," rather it is "half cocked" and locked. Though light at about 7#, the DAO trigger requires a deliberate long pull much like a revolver. And of course there is the internal firing pin block safety that is not released until the trigger is pulled. The bottom line is that if you don't pull the trigger, you can be confident the Kahr, like many other pistols, will not fire.

Eric Larsen

The Kahr K' series was their first gun....it was designed as a carry gun w/ a chambered round. Not only wont the gun go off until the trigger is pulled, but its a long pull and has a firing pin block that is trigger activated. Its as safe to carry that way as any other gun available. The design is very very proven and a good design at that.
Shoot well

Redlg155

As the others have said..perfectly safe. Just make sure you have a sturdy belt and holster for comfortable carry. Those Kahrs are relatively heavy for their size.

And yes..I trust the built in safety features. If I didn't I would not carry the weapon.

Good SHooting
RED

Dfariswheel

I'm a big fan of the Kahr. I'm completely satisfied with my K9 stainless.

To answer your question: I look at the Kahr as a sort of self-loading revolver.
Like a revolver, it has a long trigger pull that's not likely to be pulled accidently. Like a revolver, all it's safeties are internal, automatic, and more or less fool proof.

Like a revolver, there's only one way to get it to fire, and that's to deliberately pull the trigger.

I feel it's one of the safest pistols of any type. Of the modern DA only autos, it's the only one I would carry in a pocket or fanny pack without a holster.

juliet charley

The comparison of Kahr (and Glocks as well) to revolvers in terms safety leaves a lot to be desired.

While it is true that the Kahr (and Glocks) has a relatively long trigger pull like a revolver, you generally feel a good deal more resistance with a revolver trigger pull than the trigger pull found in a Kahr (particularly in the smaller Khar-sized revolvers). The other, and to me far more telling difference, is that there very obvious visual and tactile (and sometimes aural) indications something is happening with a revolver (e.g., the hammer is moving back and/or the cylinder is moving). With the Kahr, there is no such tactile/visual clues, just a loud bang at the end. A revolver should be holstered your thumb riding hammer (or finger contact with the cylinder given a "hammerless" revolver--a tactile and visual warning something is amiss which you do have with a Kahr (or a Glock).

FWIW, I carry a Kahr K9, but to compare it to a revolver is terms of safety while is a stretch.

Eric Larsen

I would have to say that as far as a trigger comparison goes..the Kahr is closer to a revolver than the Glocks Ive shot. Kahrs are long, light, smooth and have a tiny bit of stacking right at the end.
Much like some wheels Ive shot. The Glocks are short, light and give no hint of stacking...they just break. Ill take the Kahr trigger anytime. Shoot well

Blackhawk

That's the beauty of DAO pistols, you've got to deliberately pull the trigger through the full stroke for it to fire. Kahrs are never cocked at all when the trigger is full forward. All of the hammer energy is added to the hammer spring by the act of pulling the trigger.

OTOH, Glocks are always "half-cocked" when there's a round in the chamber, thus they can get away with a 5#, short stroke trigger.

The newer Kahrs with the "Elite" trigger have about an 8.5# trigger pull, and older ones with the heavier trigger can be retrofitted with the Elite trigger kit.

Kahrs are designed to be CCWs from the git go, and while there are numerous reports of ADs with Glocks, I'm not aware of any with Kahrs.

The Kahr is not unlike a double-action revolver in the way it operates, with a long, fairly stiff, trigger pull.

I've carried mine with no problems.

But I carry a double action revolver the vast majority of the time.

juliet charley

Like I said, I carry a Kahr, but there are more differences than similarities between a revolver (hammer fired) and a Kahr (striker fired). The references to Glock were not meant to compare the Glock to the Kahr, but the same thing (comparison to revolvers) is often made in reference to Glocks (which do have a considerably lighter and different trigger feel the Kahrs). Even though Kahrs have fairly long trigger pulls, it is lighter, and to me, just feels (more subjective than scientific) different from a revolver--I wish more revolvers had as good of trigger as the Kahr does. I just think we might being to a disservice when we take the revolver comparison too far--the Kahr is probably less "idiot-proof" than the revolver. I will definitely say the Kahr is far more accurate (and fast) than the "feel" of the trigger pull would suggest.

Gary H

My K9 doesn't come close to a S&W with a good trigger job. The revolver has a smoother feel and the trigger release is consistent. The K9 has a much less precise trigger. A Glock with a competition 3.5 pound trigger is much more to my liking, but not for carry. The P7 trigger is what I view as the best compromise.

bad_dad_brad

The Kahr, any Kahr (or baby Glock for that matter) needs to be holstered. I almost blew my b*lls off shoving an MK9 in my waitband once. Stupid!

Zundfolge

When I carry my MK40 in a belly band, while holstering I put my finger behind the trigger and aim the muzzle away from my body to prevent loss of part of my ass :)

However once its in the band, I feel quite sure it will not discharge. Before the first time I carried it I put it in unloaded and tested it every which way (getting in and out of the car, moving around on the couch, etc).

Think I'll be ordering an Alessi Talon for the little guy anyway.

"you generally feel a good deal more resistance with a revolver trigger pull than the trigger pull found in a Kahr."

You need to shoot some of the Smith revolvers that I've worked on. :D

juliet charley

You're probably right right Mike in that my revolvers have all been pretty much box stock--no customization. Now I do have a couple of old S-prefix .357s (one pre-28 and one M27) with really great, smooth trigger pulls that I really didn't consider, but I never considered N-frames in the same class with anything else. I can, however, shoot my Kahr better with less practice than I could my 442/640-1/SP101.

Eric Larsen

Just since were on the trigger subject. My Kahr had a little tuning to the trigger....very much like a nice tuned S&W trigger...sweet!
Its lighter and smoother thru the pull and the smith left a tad of the "stacking" at the end of the pull. I dont have any way to measure the pull..but my guess is its about 2/3 what it was.
My SP had the same smith do the trigger...Its just smooth and sweet..better than the 60LS I just bought and sold. No stacking.
The Kahr trigger feels like the Highway Patrolman I shot most of my life , until it starts to stack.....I miss that gun. Shoot well

Gary H

Eric:

Who did your Kahr's trigger? I know that Kahr offers this service for $30, but this is simply polishing. What did you have done?

Thanks..

ber266148

I carry a Taurus DAO .45 with a round in the chamber. Of course, the Taurus does come with a manual safety, but I never engage it. My pocket holster covers the trigger/guard quite well, though.