Justify it!

BigJimP

Everybody has budgets....but at different stages of our lives...the budget issues change.

As I've gotten older, bills are all paid, home is paid off, cars are paid for ....kids are all grown ( and not living in my house ! ) ...grankids are all doing ok ..../ retirement accounts are well funded....I still work full time & there is more money for all kinds of stuff that has little, if anything, to do with what I need...so I spend some money as part of my gun hobby ....and I hope everyone gets to that point in their lives.

I have about 40 or so handguns / a mix mostly of good 1911's and S&W revolvers...I shoot everything I collect - in a variety of calibers( from 9mm to .44 mag ). I have 15 or so shotguns...mostly target guns ....in 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ....

can I justify spending $3,200 on a single action revolver....like a Freedom Arms I bought recently ....well, I've have had it for 6 months or so / put probably 3,000 rds thru it ...and every time I shoot it, there is a big grin on my face. Is it practical ( a 5 shot revolver in .357 mag )..No. Is it a nice gun -yes, very nice ! Do I enjoy it every time I touch it, shoot it, clean it ..Yes !... Is it worth it - Yes, every penny !! My philosoply is - you have to be honest with yourself...not take money away from things that truly need to be done to help someone in your family / protect your financial security ....but at the same time, you have to enjoy the journey / and supporting your hobbies are part of why we enjoy the journey.

A lot of guys have way more guns than I do ....but none of them have more fun with their guns than I do ! If all I could afford was one old $500 revolver...but I loved it every time I held it, fired it or cleaned it ...it would be just as valuable to me - and mean as much to me as a $3,200 revolver.

To answer your question my primary carry gun: is a Wilson Combat 1911 in .45 acp - because its a gun I shoot the best. My "desk gun" is a Kimber 1911 / just in case. My bedside gun ..is a S&W model 66 a 4" in .357 mag .....my primary competition shotguns are all Browning Over Unders..../ the other 45 guns ....a number of 1911's in 9mm & .45 acp, S&W's in .357 mag and .44 mag ...are all for fun at the range ...my adult kids, grandkids, etc..../ someday my 2 boys will each get half of the collection....but I'm only 62 ...and plan on being a very grumpy and very old man for a long time.

Webleymkv

I stopped trying to justify my gun purchases beyond "because I like it and I can afford it" long ago. Truthfully, I could sell all but two or three of my handguns and still be covered for anything I might "need" a handgun for. However, so long as someone's other financial responsibilities are met, I see no reason why he/she should need justification for buying a gun (or anything else for that matter) beyond the fact that he/she likes it.

Winchester_73

+1 webley. If I had to justify, like others in this thread, I wouldn't have some of my guns. They make me happy, and they can be great investments, and so I don't care about a "purpose" beyond that.

LockedBreech

Beretta PX4 Storm - Wanted to see what that rotating barrel was all about. Bought it after being a little down after my break up last year with the girl of 4 year. December 23rd..yay..Awesome gun. Don't take it out very often.

I almost impulse bought a gun a few weeks ago when I called it quits with my girl of 5 1/2 years. I ended up resisting because I didn't want anything I associated with that time. My sympathies.

Cheapshooter

Let's see, I'll go back a few purchases, not necessarily in order.
Taurus PT22 Poly (latest purchase). 'Cause I think it looks cool, and it was on sale!
KAHR CM9. I watched too many episodes of "Storage Wars", and wasn't going to let some guy out bid me at the NRA Foundation banquet/auction
Hi-Point C9. Just to see if they could possibly be as bad as some say....They certainly are NOT!!!
Cimarron 45 Colt. Always wanted a big bore "cowboy" gun
Taurus PD Poly. Price was great, first one I saw. Much better than a lot say they are!
Glock 20SF. didn't have a Glock, didn't have a 10MM, why not?
Beretta 92fs. Have 1911's, why not what replaced them?
Thompson/Center G2 Contender with Super 14 35 Remington barrel, 14" 22 longrifle match barrel, Buris 2-7 scope, and boyt case...FOR $250!!! Wouldn't you have?
Browning Buckmark Camper. Used one for CCW qualifying, and really liked it!
Walther P22. Thought it was a cool little gun....It is!

Other than the T/C, KAHR, and Taurus PD Poly all were bought at BPS or Cabela's usning rewards points, and or gift cards to greatly reduce the price.
Including a Remington 870 Express 18" 7 shot shotgun that because of points, and gift cards didn't cost me a cent, nothing, nada!!! Of course I put a hundred or so more in it making it look Tacticool!!!

Deaf Smith

Truthfully, I could sell all but two or three of my handguns and still be covered for anything I might "need" a handgun for. However, so long as someone's other financial responsibilities are met, I see no reason why he/she should need justification for buying a gun (or anything else for that matter) beyond the fact that he/she likes it.

True words.

But everytime I try to decide what 'two or three' dang if I can't decide!

Example. Try to 'decide' which of these four of my guns to get rid of..

attachment.php

Yes they all have Secret Service grips! M66, M686, Speed Six,and Security Six. .357s all.

I sure can't decide!

Deaf

JC57

Hmmm.

Full sized Glock 22 - home defense, because concealment isn't important. It has come in handy twice now.

Compact Glock 26 - for concealment when I can wear a covering garment, worn in a OWB pancake. Perfect size and good capacity.

S&W 642 - Because my wife only likes revolvers and I keep trying to find something that she will actually carry. She doesn't carry it, so this is my pocket gun for when I can't wear a covering garment.

Bersa Thunder 380 - Ok, I got this one just because I like it. Fun to shoot, fits my hand perfectly. Love the gun, not so much the caliber. If .380 cost the same as 9mm it would be my favorite range "fun gun."

Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro - Wanted a .45 and to try something different from the Glocks. Price was right and it has turned out to be a good accurate shooter. Doesn't really fill a role other than "own a .45". A little bulkier than the G26, but carries comfortably enough with a good holster.

I almost impulse bought a gun a few weeks ago when I called it quits with my girl of 5 1/2 years. I ended up resisting because I didn't want anything I associated with that time. My sympathies.

Thanks brother.. ish happens huh? Never saw that coming either did you? Good point. Now I see the PX4 and I associate it with her. Good call -.- lol

tahunua001

well let's see
first handgun was an XDM45 full sized, one of the first off the line. I wanted a 45 so I could pack for bear if needed and I didn't want more than one handgun for a while.

then when I decided to conceal carry I bought the XDM45 a compact little brother.

the same day I bought Ruger SR9C because I wanted a cheap loaner gun. but I was an idiot and didn't take into account where the barrel points when you carry IWB at 12 o clock so feeling a little leery of a gun without a manual safety pointing at Tahunua JR I ended up carrying the SR9C and leaving the XDM45C in the safe until colder weather allows for other carry options.

realizing that I hate 45 ACP ammo prices and accounting for the very light amount of use that the XDM45 was getting I decided to trade my older brother for his like new XDM9 so that I could have a full sized pistol that I still shoot.

so yeah.... once I put it on paper my justifications don't even make sense to me.

MR.S45

XD9 service, XD45 compact & Para LTC 1911- concealed(even with basketball shorts)
Springfield 1911A1 rebuilt with all Wilson Combat Stainless- competition/target, built, not bought. Do i need a reason not to spend $2000 on something the way i want it?
GSG 1911 .22- fun & has barrel thread
Mossberg 590A1 police/tactical- 9 shells of 2 3/4 buchshot, you know what that's for!
Mossberg 930 auto, & Mossberg SA-20 auto- fun & hunt guns
Stoeger coach gun 12ga ;-)
Savage mod 10 police sharpshooter .308- long distance or hunting.
1944 Springfield M1 Garand- pretty, & it's the oldest powerful tack-driver i own.
Remington 597 VTR- varmint & target rifle (.22)
Custom built AR-15 M4 & Custom built AR-15 20" bull- built, not bought. Do i need a reason for $5000 for 2 custom AR's?
Just to name a few.....as long as the bills are paid, why justify?
If you want something, find a way to get it! No justification!