Just one powder

TimW77

"I like the idea of using as few powders as possible."

"I don't. A large part of my goal for handloading is to produce the most accurate ammo possible for each of my rigs and each bullet I use. I really don't care if that requires two powders or two dozen. But others have different goals and that's fine too."

I use the optimum powders for my primary/most important cartridges and the bullets I shoot such as the Sierra 77g in the .223R, the Sierra 175g in the .308W and 2 other cartridges.

Does not matter to me if I have 50 pfs less velocity and 0.10" larger groups, the other cartridges I load will use these same powders.

Having room for 4-6, 8 pound cans of the SAME LOT of each of the powders I NEED is far more important than having more powders than anyone else.

T.

Adamantium

Or just the common sense factor that you aren't even here answering the question he is asking. He isn't even asking for something crazy like one powder for 12 gauge and full power 243 Win.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Gentlemen,

This really isn't the thread to be having the "one powder can't do it all" argument. As noted by Adamantium, the cartridges mentioned in the OP are reasonably similar and have considerable useful powder overlap.

There are lots of choices. Save the disagreement for the thread where someone wants to load 300WinMag and 10mm Auto with one powder, eh?