Just one powder

PTS1

I am thinking about simplifying and just having one powder for the following 3 cartridges:

243 win
270 wsm
300 win mag

Any suggestions on a powder that will give good performance with these 3? Not looking for max, but good velocity on all 3.

Adamantium

My understanding is Hodgdon Hybrid 100V was created to fill a niche just like this. H4350 should work too.

Last edited:

TimW77

Single powder

What?

Five responses and not a single one yet telling the OP how foolish he is, what a bad idea it is and that what he wants to do can't be done!!!

I like the idea of using as few powders as possible.

T.

Shootest

^^^Agreed^^^. One of the most rewarding aspects of hand loading, as I see it, is obtaining the most out of a given cartridge. Trying to achieve that with just one powder for multiple cartridges in multiple guns would be like trying to run a marathon with your legs tied. Powder is just not that expensive.

TimW77

One Powder

"Powder is just not that expensive."

No, it is not, but you develop loads with bullets and these ARE EXPENSIVE.:D

T.

PTS1

Thanks for the input guys. I know trying differnt powders, bullets, primers etc....., is fun, however, I am at that point in life (kids taking up most of my free time, a great thing) that I am trying to apply the KISS rule as much as possible in every aspect of life. Later down the road when the nest is empty, I hope to have my shelves full of all types of powders. And before you say it, I have introduced my kids to reloading (my 5 year old daughter loves to help out, my 10 year old son, not too much-just likes to shoot them). To Timw77, thanks for the private message and looking at all my data, I have it down to I4350 and RL22 as to powders that those 3 cartridges prefer.

Sevens

One of the most rewarding aspects of hand loading, as I see it, is obtaining the most out of a given cartridge. Trying to achieve that with just one powder for multiple cartridges in multiple guns would be like trying to run a marathon with your legs tied. Powder is just not that expensive.
I agree 100%, but with the post directly above mine -- I can see where the OP is coming from and I can give a nod to exactly what he wants and why.

Still, I'm with Shootest and I would expand on his idea... with my always-growing powder cache, I'm almost always ready to load something new or venture in to a different weight bullet on a whim, without having to shop for powder simply because I have a smorgasbord on hand to choose from.

Having a slew of different powders on hand at the ready has been an investment, but I'm very happy to have them.

old roper

Last edited:

PTS1

Old roper--thanks for that, forgot I had posted those pictures. New Mexico hunt produced no animal, only great memories.

I may look into hybrid 100v as recommended several times.

wncchester

"I like the idea of using as few powders as possible."

I don't. A large part of my goal for handloading is to produce the most accurate ammo possible for each of my rigs and each bullet I use. I really don't care if that requires two powders or two dozen. But others have different goals and that's fine too.