Just flew home from Europe with one of the "Band of Brothers"

iamkris

I just got home from a business trip in Poland this weekend. I connected through Munich and while walking back to my seat, I passed an older gentleman with a 101st Airborne hat on and a green flight jacket draped over his seatback. The nameplate had his name, unit designation and underneath said "Band of Brothers".

I was two rows behind him and once he settled in, I went forward and asked him if he was in Easy Company. He said "Yes" and we began talking.

It was Ed Mauser, who at 92, is believed to be the oldest surviving member of Easy Company. Ed said that he had just completed a 2 week tour where he found his jump zone from D-Day and traced his route of all the major engagements they were involved in...all the way to the Eagle's Nest. Ed was wounded at Bastogne. He received the Silver Star as part of the nighttime rescue of the Arnheim survivors.

I told him how honored I was to have met him and thanked him for his time.

Later, I mentioned him to a flight attendant. She immediately went over to talk to him. She went up front and soon, each pilot came back in turn to shake his hand. The crew wrote out a letter saying what an honor it was to have him on the flight.

When the crew finished their post-takeoff announcements, they mentioned the "very important passenger". The entire aircraft broke out into applause. The crew refused to let him pay for his wine during dinner. There were several military people on the flight returning for leave and many of them stopped by, shook his hand and asked to have their picture taken with him.

Heavens...stuff like this almost restores my faith in people. For me, this was like meeting Elvis...

Mr. Mauser was kind enough to sign this autograph for me...I'll put this in my "Band of Brothers" book or DVD set.

2jeek2a.jpg

Here's my "commemorative" picture...my favorite M1 Garand with his little brother carbine backing him up

2wquy4j.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me for a picture. Here's a few links I found on him.

bilde

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090906/NEWS01/709069862

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacques_wood/3899920876/

http://www.majordickwinters.com/php...6&t=3031&sid=6c393c700d331fcb93cc3af71d80d6e4

Mello2u

Thanks for posting this. It is good to hear how the people on the flight responded.

I'm sort of surprised that any significant number knew anything exited before they were born.

Tex S

My eyes are moist... unbelievable. Truly an honor.

My GF and I just finished watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago. I have seen it many times, but it was her first. Great movie.

We should all be proud to be Americans!!!

lockedcj7

That is awesome. Thank you for spending time with him, for thanking him for what he (and his brothers did) and for bringing him to the attention of the flight. Men like him deserve to be honored.

My Grandfather landed at Utah beach on Aug. 13th, 1944 and I consider him a hero. He was in the 191st Field Artillery Battalion which participated in the breakout of Normandy and the relief of Bastogne with Patton's 3rd Army. He never wanted to talk about the war and I can't blame him. I just wish that I knew more about his service.

Kreyzhorse

That's awesome. :)

I'm glad these fine men are still getting the respect they deserve. In fact, I ran a 5K this weekend and there were two WWII vets in attendance. Both of them got a nice round of applause and its great to see them out and active.

iamkris

Thanks guys for the replies. I do consider it a real honor to have met him.

For what it is worth, I asked him if the book and the DVDs are accurate. Ed said that the Stephen Ambrose got the facts in the book very true to life. When I asked about the DVDs, he smiled and said "those actors added a few things". :)

Huskerguy

That is great!

I have the DVD set, given to me by my daughter and her fiance. I love the human interest and the mindset those men had. You were very blessed to have this opportunity. thanks for sharing this

bbqbob51

I have watched that series so many times, I own the DVD and catch it on History channel. I have nothing but respect for all those men especially those who landed at Normandy and the "Battling Bastards of Bastogne" who held out against unbelievable odds and kept the Germans from capturing that key crossroad.

skydiver3346

Wow, very cool.....

:cool: Meeting a member of Easy Company is just awesome. Congrats on showing such admiration and respect to Mr. Mauser and one of the citizens of the "Finest "Generation". AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY.

You must have been on a US airline. Very nice of the crew.
Although he probably was still recovering during the siege around Bastogne, wish that we had met him or any of the others.

My wife somehow found a link on the Normandy "Battlebus" tour website to a Belgian guy who gives tours of skirmish sites all around the area, based on his knowledge of veterans' personal accounts of their battle experiences.

Mr. Reg Janns learned these accounts from his visits with various members of E and F Companies and studying various diaries etc. We even stood in several of the foxholes which were close to the village of Foy. About a dozen holes are still there, and the woods have not changed much, neither have the farm hamlets.
The tour does not cost much for six hours.