Just finished building my new gun cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon_15

Hkmp5sd, CZ Gunner..your absolutely right about it not being very theft proof. But I really never ment it to be. Nothing shy of a gunsafe really is. Besides, my house itself is fairly secure and I have my guns listed on my homeowners insurance.

CZ Gunner

Carbon 15:

Looking back at my post, it reads a little more critical than I intended. Sorry about that. Was just trying to point out possible areas / ideas worth thinking about. :eek:

I your work it is fantastic. If you ever wanted to have a "working retirement" one day, you could probably do very well with these ... in your "spare" time. :D

Note: The rod down through the top is a stroke of genius. Great idea! You know, if you ever needed to lock it, you could probably modify it to take a lock / bolt up there pretty easily too.

Finally, you're absolutely correct, that is what insurance is for! :rolleyes:

Gunner

Last edited:

gorlitsa

The pool table Felt and spray fabric glue came from the fabric store (I was the only guy there. Thought it was pretty cool untill I realized they probly figured I was, well..)

Nope. As a girl who spends too much time in fabric stores, I can assure you that they all assumed you were on a 'Honey-do' errand for the wife who forgot something for her project. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they were checking your ring finger. Men who know how to buy non-wood items 'by the yard' are fairly rare. ;)

Carbon_15

Not at all CZ, I didnt take it as hostile or insulting. Your point was absolutley correct. But I guess If they want 'em, there going to get 'em regardless. Thanks for the positive comments CZ..and everyone. I put a lot of work into it, and to be honest wasnt sure if it came off with the classy look I was going for, or just looked hokey. Its nice to get opinions from others with like minds.

DanP

I like this setup so much that I actually went out scouting today for cabinets.

Figured even if it is the Office Depot type stuff I could always reinforce it with metal planks and good locks without affecting the outward appearance.

Here is one of those dark questions: should something horrible happen and someone manages to gain access (as in breaking the unit with power tools) and cause damage to another...

Wonder if, in these less than logical times, for liability purposes (perception) one may be better off owning a cheaper, weaker commercial "safe" than a stronger self-built unit.

Thoughts?

biere

I am not touching the dark abyss question.

On the drawers look around at antique furniture places or places that sell those do it yourself stain it furniture and what not. Home puppet and others are good as well. One in the middle or two spaced evenly from the sides would work well. And show damage should they be opened without a key. Some are easy to pic though, so look around.

Find some brass locks that are not too hard to make a slot for. The light wood of the dressor can be drilled easily in most cases with a lock surround hiding slightly damaged edges of the hole. Something simple like a lock for a filing cabinet or whatever would most likely be fine, and in an emergency could be ripped out anyway. I would reinforce the handles for withdrawing the drawer for the brute force approach though.

I have a safe but do want something like this as I need somewhere for storing some other stuff in the bedroom, I really need a hobby room but do not have one. I think the drop bolts are good, a length of pipe drilled to take a pin or something could be added later to deter the kids climbing on it to pull the rods out.

I never have liked the glass faced gun cabinets, though I like looking at my stuff, I just like a closed cabinet. And this is close to what I want.

The metal reinforcement is a good idea, and depending what it is coat it so it can not rust and then wrap it in pool table felt. I do love that stuff so much. Make sure the legs and what not can support the weight though.

I bounce back and forth on making a metal thing like this and covering it with wood, or taking a wood one apart and reinforcing with metal. I want more than a flimsy gun cabinet, love the appearance of nice wood furniture, and know no one makes what I want.

The hooks for muzzle loaders are something I will look into, there are rubber coated metal hooks for mechanics tools and stuff, go to home puppet and look in their organizing section. You can also get a rubber liquid that is for dipping the handles of tools in for that rubber coating you often see on tools. It is liquid, you dip it in and the pull it out and let it dry. It would work for people who want to make specific heavy hooks just for their stuff. Tough rods of metal or strips can easily be bent with a little heat and a vice. Then rubber coat it for a personal apperance.

On the ammo, I would keep the guns loaded myself and make the drawers hard to get into. I am single and this is my reasoning for my situation.

Congrats on a good job, and giving me some pics to work from.

btg231

Great idea Carbon,
Do you have a pic of the inside that you could post. I'm thinking of doing the same project. It sounds like you are mounting the guns horizontally inside the cabinet. I wonder if it could also be configured where the rifles stand (like mine currently do in my closet leaning on the wall, lol). I found this the same brand of cabinet at lowes.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.