Just bought what some think is a lame gun.

FunGramps

Yeah, it's just a H&R 922, but I had to get this. The condition is nearly NIB, and all the literature, and original box, and $29.00 hang tag that went with it.
I'll check the serial# when I get it, but the seller told me on the phone he thinks it's around 1950 vintage. 100% original. I like the 9-round capacity. Might just make it a safe queen like he did.
Anyway, H&R but I'm still stoked! :)

Attachments

• H&R.jpg
    H&R.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

mgulino

Have a H&R 929 9-shot revolver myself. Had it since HS...40+ years ago. Originally bought as a snake pistol to use while tromping through the swamps of southeast LA. Nice little pistol.

bravo2uniform

That's pretty awesome you got the literature. I have an old H&R 922 - it belonged to my uncle who gave it to my father. Sadly, I know little of its history - except that it is LOUD with LR cartridges! They seem to be well made and freakishly durable.

Frankly, if it makes you happy, what does it matter what anyone else thinks!

FunGramps

That's pretty awesome you got the literature. I have an old H&R 922 - it belonged to my uncle who gave it to my father. Sadly, I know little of its history - except that it is LOUD with LR cartridges! They seem to be well made and freakishly durable.

Frankly, if it makes you happy, what does it matter what anyone else thinks!
Seems as though most all American made weapons from that era were made freakishly durable, no matter the price. When manufacturers were as finicky about putting out a good, durable product, establishing great reputations, putting pride into their work...as much as they were at looking at their bottom line.

Naw, I don't care what others think, but I do recall a time when H&Rs were looked at as a toss-in-the-glovebox and beat it gun. :)

FunGramps

Have a H&R 929 9-shot revolver myself. Had it since HS...40+ years ago. Originally bought as a snake pistol to use while tromping through the swamps of southeast LA. Nice little pistol.
Sweet. Nice to hear you like it. I've never had a gun for that long. I've broken the golden rule and sold guns I never should have. :(

mk70ss

I recently bought a 4 inch, 99% 922 at a gun show. It is becoming one of my favorite handguns to shoot for fun.

mgulino

Glad you like your 922. No such thing as a lame gun. They are all suited to some purpose. Like I said, mine was purchased originally as a snake pistol. Now it’s use is to teach handgun safety to my grandson.

FunGramps

Glad you like your 922. No such thing as a lame gun. They are all suited to some purpose. Like I said, mine was purchased originally as a snake pistol. Now it’s use is to teach handgun safety to my grandson.
Good on you! Time with the grandkids and teaching them. Those are my best moments these days.

FunGramps

I recently bought a 4 inch, 99% 922 at a gun show. It is becoming one of my favorite handguns to shoot for fun.
Nice! There aren't many old 922s around which are still minty. I feel lucky to have found this at the right time before it was bought. Mine has the black plastic handle. Does yours, or is it wood?

mgulino

Agreed that spending time with grandkids is priceless. He’s spent some time with me at the reloading press too. Helped him load some 223 rounds (downloaded, but he didn’t know) so he could shoot my “big gun”. Excited when he rang a gong at 170 yards.

jetinteriorguy

My brother had one of these back in the mid 70’s, nothing fancy but a great little gun to shoot. Built like a tank. I opted for a High Standard double nine myself and carried it coon hunting for many years.

stinkeypete

I grew up shooting a H&R .22 Special. It’s an interesting momento you bought.

As for price, a Ruger Wrangler is a better choice for something that will outlast a brick of ammo for your $200.

shurshot

Pull the cylinder pin to remove and load cylinder, right? That's what my Grandmother carried for many years, late 60's up until 90's, in her purse. Heavy little H&R gun, she had the snubnosed version. I shot a squirrel with it once on a fishing trip with Gramps in the 80's (she loaned it to me), but it wasn't very easy to accurately shoot. As another mentioned, it was quite loud with .22 LR's. It was passed on to another family member.

Last edited:

l.cutler

I love those old H&R's. I have a 929 that I got when I was 17, I can't even imagine how many rounds I have put through it in the last 43 years. It has to be over 100,000.

GarandTd

As for price, a Ruger Wrangler is a better choice
Perhaps to you.
I saw no mention of price, but if I saw that H&R next to a Wrangler for the same price, I'm walking away with the H&R every single time.

SIGSHR

No mystique or cachet to H&Rs and Iver Johnsons, but they were affordable, for a lot of people that was mighty important.

Hawg

I grew up shooting a H&R .22 Special. It’s an interesting momento you bought.

As for price, a Ruger Wrangler is a better choice for something that will outlast a brick of ammo for your $200.
That 922 will still be alive and kicking when that wrangler is a pile of aluminum flakes. I've got an H&R Sportsman made in 35 that while nowhere near pristine is one sweet shooting .22.

bravo2uniform

No mystique or cachet to H&Rs and Iver Johnsons, but they were affordable, for a lot of people that was mighty important.
Increasing the cost of firearms is a covert way to disarm a populace. So if you don't want a particular ethnic group to fend off a predatory group, make cheap firearms illegal, As the available supply dwindles, the demand stays the same or increases, causing prices to rise. That's using simple economics to keep people down.

Pahoo

Thanks for sharing !!!

Just bought what some think is a lame gun.
There are those who might think so but not many. Those that would would be measured, likewise. ..... :rolleyes:

Personally, I think you have something very special and reminds me of my rat shooting days, back when I was kid, as I had one of these. ... :)

Sure wish this piece could talk and thanks for sharing with us. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

FunGramps

There are those who might think so but not many. Those that would would be measured, likewise. ..... :rolleyes:

Personally, I think you have something very special and reminds me of my rat shooting days, back when I was kid, as I had one of these. ... :)

Sure wish this piece could talk and thanks for sharing with us. .... :)

Be Safe !!!
Thanks. Ahhh, the rat shooting days! Back when open dumps were allowed, we shot until we ran out of ammo. My buds and I went to one back in the early 70's after it closed, and used our single action .44 magnums (made our own rounds with Lee Loaders) on those buggers! There were thousands of them. Freaked me out when I kicked over an old bucket, and a horde of rats went crazy from under it and one actually jumped up my leg. :)