Just bought a bucket gun...

volkstrm

Yea maybe I should buy my bucket gun. A Walther PPK PPKS? I had one in my hands many times over the years but never pulled the trigger. LOL. Just love the history of it. Not a big fan of the 380acp but would do as a bug/range toy. I should have bought the blued west German one that I could have gotten a few years back.:(

bannockburn

Mike irwin

Great gun at a great price! My first Model 38 was nickel plated and always a favorite of mine just to slip it inside my coat pocket when taking the dog for a late night walk. Currently I have two versions: a Model 649 and it's lighter weight brother, a Model 638.

mrcharlie3531

I recently picked up this M38. I did a trade for it, no cash out of pocket. About 400-450 in it. Overall, I thought it looked very nice. bluing looked great. It dates Aprx. to 1955. (Thank you Jim) It'ss the oldest and ugliest gun I own, I really like it. It is very tight. The grips were purchased on Ebay for 11.99 free shipping. I found the two speed loaders in my local flea market for 15 bucks. I keep it on my night stand. Charlie

I found this previous post, when looking for info about. I didn't want to make a new thread about it.

lamarw

The recent one off my bucket list is a Model 29 no dash in immaculate condition. Production year was 1960. It came with the "Coke" stocks and a factory clamshell presentation box with tools. The stocks are valued in the 5 to 7 hundred range and the presentation case another two to three hundred. For the price I paid, I came close to getting the revolver for free.

I am still attempting to get the illusive Model 57. I have had someone at two auctions in the last couple of years who wanted one more than I. It too will happen one day.

Anyway, Congrats on your humpback Mike.

Interesting that this thread would come back.

Back in 2016 I made this observation...

"One thing that concerns me is that the cylinder bolt is quite loose in the frame window, and that allows more cylinder wobble than I like. I may have to see about installing a new bolt."

Well, recently I realized it's not the cylinder bolt that is the problem. When I push on the cylinder the entire crane swings out slightly; enough to make me thing it would cause real problems.

I've not had a chance to really take a good look at it yet, but a cursory examination makes me think that the problem is with the locking stud under the barrel.

I need to figure out if it's something I want to try addressing myself or if I want to send it back to S&W.

Leaf

I'm not ashamed to admit that from when I was a rookie officer many, many years ago to even now I've always wanted to own a S&W model 36 snubby in stainless or Colt similar with the skinny factory grips. For me, back in the sixties and even the early seventies those were the epitome of what a plainclothes street detective/investigator wore. They were handily concealable and by the standards pretty much adequate to take on a wide assortment of bad guys. Sort of embarrassing that we could be that ignorant back then, but hey, that's the way it was. How did we ever survive?

Drm50

I am a S&W revolver guy, 6"- 83/8" adj sight P&Rs. I got a M38 on trade a while back and
fooled with it some. I liked the ability to cock the hammer and still be snag proof. I cold carry it in Chore coat breast pocket. If I was looking for a carry J frame a m38 would be it.
I trade it for a m19 which was more up my alley.

BusGunner007

Model 49 was the first handgun I ever wanted.
Still haven't bought a 'BODYGUARD' in any configuration.

Now I know what my next purchase will be. :D